OFFICIAL: sps grow out thread

260 gallons or so water volume.  DT and frag tank plumbed together.  CA reactor, G4 plus xxx skimmer, little Cheato left in sump while giant scrubber is kicking in 2 weeks.  No dosing and fish's poops are the only nutrient sources.

I don't check much except ALK once a while or when I see CA's PH change, and Mg for once in few months when I see  a little struggling or algea sign.

this frag ~ 1 inch and growing under 1/2 and 1/2 lighting in frag tank.

growout.jpg

Here's a quick pic so I don't get disqualified I'll get a real camera photo soon. Looks about 3/4"

7DB13830-D593-4767-9E53-E00A02156905_zps

System is a 125 OBD glass tank lit with a 8 bulb ati led/t5 combo fixture.  I run a calcium reactor and auto water change system. I rarely check levels but try to keep alk around 8dkh.

Edited by madmike

So I'm not sure if I'm going to be disqualified because of my quarantine procedures.  It sounds like Brian is willing to waive the "same tank" rule for quarantining purposes, but his post says it needs to be by unanimous vote.  I'm not sure where we stand on that.  Regardless, I'm going to post this first one so I don't lose my spot. 

The tank the frag is in is 20 gallons, medium/low flow, AI Prime LED (set on low/mostly blues).  Alk is at 8.8, Ca 450, Mg 1420, bra 34D, salinity 1.025, temp at 80.  The frag is currently 3/4".Contest 1.jpgContest 2.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

So I'm not sure if I'm going to be disqualified because of my quarantine procedures.  It sounds like Brian is willing to waive the "same tank" rule for quarantining purposes, but his post says it needs to be by unanimous vote.  I'm not sure where we stand on that.  Regardless, I'm going to post this first one so I don't lose my spot. 

The tank the frag is in is 20 gallons, medium/low flow, AI Prime LED (set on low/mostly blues).  Alk is at 8.8, Ca 450, Mg 1420, bra 34D, salinity 1.025, temp at 80.  The frag is currently 3/4".Contest 1.jpgContest 2.jpg

thats a good size

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

You guys are awesome!  I really didn't think anyone actually read that info, so I thought I would do a little test.  Tom, you can go to the head of the class!

I was like Dammmmm........no wonder the zoas are doing good in that tank, lol.

• Like 1

I've got mine in my frag system. It's a 40 breeder with a 20 gallon sump. It's lit by two 150 Watt Reefi LEDs. Flow is provided by an Ecotech MP10  and a Waveline Return pump. I'm running an oversized Reef Octopus skimmer, rated for 110 gallons. Hydor ATO. No carbon dosing or chemical media. TMC UV sterilizer rated for 180 gallons. I'm dosing Triton CORE7 Elementz, which consists of 4 solutions: Mag + trace elements; Ca + trace elements; Alk + trace elements; Alk + dif. trace elements. Dosing is provided by a Kamoer 4-channel dosing pump. I keep Alk at 8 dkh, Ca at 440, and Mg at 1350. Salinity 1.025. I do 5 gallon water changes weekly. I have a yellow tang and a melanurus wrasse in the tank currently. I feed mysis and nori on alternate days. My nitrates stay around 10-15 ppm and phosphate usually is around .1.

The frag has two branches, and is currently slightly pale. Normally it has good polyp extension, but it was ticked off from me moving it for these pictures. The tallest branch is about 3/4"

DTVRSJZ.jpg

UYxHIjz.jpg

M7aZtDy.jpg

Tank parameters: Salinity 1.025 | Alk: 9.3 | Temp 78 +/- 0.5

Roughly 70 gallon system volume with just 2 clowns, a chromis and few inverts (low bio load for now). Dimensions are roughly 48x13x20. 

Flow: Eheim 1262 return with SQWD, 2x Rossmonth Mover 1200s and koralia nano for total flow that is probably 50x turnover or more in the display when all are running at once but an APEX is driving some on/off patterns.

Lights: 2x Ocean Revive t247 running at 25% channel 1 and 30% channel 2.

Other: Small ATS and refugium with an overkill grow light, AquaC Remora Pro S skimmer, oversized Ca reactor Precision Marine CR622, and I run a small amount of GFO and carbon in separate reactors.  

Maintenance: Weekly 5 gal water change using IO salt. Change the filter sock every 4 days. I put 1 tbsp of Kalk in my ATO water to offset some pH drop from the Ca reactor.

My frag appears to be right about 7/8 inch with good polyp extension. There is a small side branch. This coral is sitting towards the center of the tank which is partially under a brace and between the two lights (top down shot had to be at an angle).

(#1) No filter on the first picture--and this is from my iPhone.

?ui=2&ik=fff9169a69&view=fimg&th=15b3c43

(#2) Top down--the frag is in the lower right.

(#3) And with a filter:

(#4) How about one more for polyp extension:

Edited by Jeremevans

1 hour ago, Gil&Fin said:

You guys are awesome!  I really didn't think anyone actually read that info, so I thought I would do a little test.  Tom, you can go to the head of the class!

Oh man... I guess I am slow today. I kept trying to figure out what that was actually supposed to be. Touché Holly!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madmike said:

Here's a quick pic so I don't get disqualified I'll get a real camera photo soon. Looks about 3/4"

7DB13830-D593-4767-9E53-E00A02156905_zps

System is a 125 OBD glass tank lit with a 8 bulb ati led/t5 combo fixture.  I run a calcium reactor and auto water change system. I rarely check levels but try to keep alk around 8dkh.

And Madmike is in the game!  Good to see ya bro..gotta hit the river this summer

I got about 3/4 inch on my multi brancher, he needs to do some encrusting before he does anything vertical wise though. I am looking forward to seeing some colors on this one.

System Details- 40 Gallon Breeder Kitchen tank with 1 Aquabeuty unit for the whole tank.

Filtration- HOB filter for activated carbon and a moded Coralife 125 protein skimmer.

Circulation- Sun Sun 800 Gallon Per Hour pumps x 2 combined with filtration = 2000GPH just over 20x turn over rate.

Water changes- maybe once a month but more realistically when the debris build up and I need to do equipment maintenance.

Fish and Feeding- Just a Melanarus wrasse, sixline wrasse, starrt blenny, and a skunk clown all get omega one every day and frozen brine or mysis twice a week. The corals all benefit form this as the food is kind of liberally broadcast fed. I have a few brittle stars who keep the excess down.

Supplements- 3 part dosing caclium,alk, mag, Red Sea foundation from time to time, Fuel Amino acids, HRD Carbon dosing, 

Parameters- PH 7.9-8.1, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 5ish, phosphates .1, calcium 420, Alk 7, Mag 1200+,

SAM_7949.JPG

MattV GO Top 1.jpg

2 hours ago, badxgillen said:

I got about 3/4 inch on my multi brancher, he needs to do some encrusting before he does anything vertical wise though. I am looking forward to seeing some colors on this one.

System Details- 40 Gallon Breeder Kitchen tank with 1 Aquabeuty unit for the whole tank.

Filtration- HOB filter for activated carbon and a moded Coralife 125 protein skimmer.

Circulation- Sun Sun 800 Gallon Per Hour pumps x 2 combined with filtration = 2000GPH just over 20x turn over rate.

Water changes- maybe once a month but more realistically when the debris build up and I need to do equipment maintenance.

Fish and Feeding- Just a Melanarus wrasse, sixline wrasse, starrt blenny, and a skunk clown all get omega one every day and frozen brine or mysis twice a week. The corals all benefit form this as the food is kind of liberally broadcast fed. I have a few brittle stars who keep the excess down.

Supplements- 3 part dosing caclium,alk, mag, Red Sea foundation from time to time, Fuel Amino acids, HRD Carbon dosing, 

Parameters- PH 7.9-8.1, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 5ish, phosphates .1, calcium 420, Alk 7, Mag 1200+,

SAM_7949.JPG

MattV GO Top 1.jpg

Nice. Comjng in at the buzzer!! Glad you jojnex us. Ive seen tge potential of ghis one cant wait to see what it can be in the end!

9 minutes ago, ssappington said:

OK, here we go-

300 gal DT, 80 gal sump

Arctic T-247 LEDs

Korallin c3002 Ca reactor

Skimz  Monzter Oval 223 skimmer

SeaChem ReefPlus

Kent Salt

rare water changes

Heavily stocked, mixed reef, SPS dominant

2017-04-05 11.48.56.jpg

2017-04-05 11.48.23.jpg

Ah there you are buddy!  Seeing your tank im sure thus will grow like a weed for you too

Here's mine looks to be a tad over 3/4 inch tall and 2 branches with nice polyp extension when not mad from being handled. System is a 40b with reefbreeder photon v2 24in leds supplemented with 2 36" t5 add one running ati blue plus in both. Circulation includes rw-8 and wp-10. Sump is 15 gallons with roughly 10lbs of live rock, asm mini g skimmer and ecotech 650 return pump. No dosing just 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks with Red Sea coral pro
ffad403800d01c0ca9eb511f4e8e8320.jpg
77c2124734c08fa2210f2c4bdade9381.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, rbeyer80 said:

Here's mine looks to be a tad over 3/4 inch tall and 2 branches with nice polyp extension when not mad from being handled. System is a 40b with reefbreeder photon v2 24in leds supplemented with 2 36" t5 add one running ati blue plus in both. Circulation includes rw-8 and wp-10. Sump is 15 gallons with roughly 10lbs of live rock, asm mini g skimmer and ecotech 650 return pump. No dosing just 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks with Red Sea coral pro
ffad403800d01c0ca9eb511f4e8e8320.jpg
77c2124734c08fa2210f2c4bdade9381.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to slide in at the buzzer!! Looking good