OFFICIAL: sps grow out thread

Thank you for putting all the work into this grow out.

Got mine.. it's maybe 3/4 inch, some how it does look like any of the numbered ones (shape wise).. lol

Tenius barely shows any fluorescent under UV and no fluorescent under royal blues.

Bonus frag very slight fluorescent under both UV and royal blues.

To me, look like they have been very stressed and starved, not much "meat" to the polyps.

Did the entire colony got divided up into 10 frags or these are just side branches?

Who knows.. maybe it's color up to like a WD if it doesn't RTN in next few days. Haha

0f01ca1bbf9d7b9c47d8075998315981.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dan if you don't want them I will gladly take them back, I completely destroyed a full colony making 14 frags, side branches? Lol 

This is a competition of grow out and color, I'm sorry if you where expecting a fully colored frag for this adventure.

Doesn't rtn in a couple days ha ha? What kind of comment is that?

Edited by mattv

Matt. I appreciate everything youve done im excited to see how this turns out and what this blossoms into   What thing i know bout mattv  is this will. Not be a junk frag   Growouts are exactly that  grow out and color up   Be patient love your frag  baby yiur frag  mostly......grow thay thing into the next big name Mattv prize

• Like 1

11 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

Got mine.. it's maybe 3/4 inch, some how it does look like any of the numbered ones (shape wise).. lol

Tenius barely shows any fluorescent under UV and no fluorescent under royal blues.

To me, look like they have been very stressed and starved, not much "meat" to the polyps.

Did the entire colony got divided up into 10 frags or these are just side branches?

Who knows.. maybe it's color up to like a WD if it doesn't RTN in next few days. Haha

Hey Dan just wanted to let you know i just got 6 frags from reef2reef that were completely stressed out and no color at all. Dhipment came in cold. All are showing their promising colors two weeks later. Im confident these will too

• Like 2

Just so everyone knows browning out and discoloration can happen quickly. Like Brian said I expect that to happen when someone ships sps even zoas sometimes. 

The frags I just auctioned from the Bob Moore Frag swap had browned out just from the stress of fragging and I suspect cold water and different salt but. They colored back nicely in my tank.

Part of the fun for me is to watch something that looks plain and seeing the potential in it. Sirena didn't get it when I would get these plain looking frags and then over weeks they would change.

Part of this contest is to see how something with a lot of potential turns out in all these different tanks!

• Like 4

Ok so here is mine. 

Tanks stats coming later tonight  mine is coming in at just under 3/4"  multi branching and polyps out

tank is 225 gallons running a Deltec skimmet, georeef reactor, all Apex, ATI 8 bulb fixture with 3 OR T247 lights for supplemental lighting. 

Salinity 1.026, KH 8., Mg 1450, Ca 480

whos next?

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG

Edited by Brian67
Added content

On 4/1/2017 at 9:52 PM, danlu_gt said:

Need a ruler measurenent

Here are the contest rules for others who missed them like I did:

First picture of Frag by 4-5-15. The first pic must include a ruler of sorts showing current size to the base of plug where it is glued. A top down pic and your system information it will be going in. It must stay in the same tank for the entire duration of the contest. Pictures will be due by the 5th of each month.

• Like 1

Oh man, I think I'm out. I should have read the rules more carefully. I always quarantine corals in a separate tank for a few weeks before putting them in the main system.

I'll be tagging along watching how everyone does though. Good luck all!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

Oh man, I think I'm out. I should have read the rules more carefully. I always quarantine corals in a separate tank for a few weeks before putting them in the main system.

I'll be tagging along watching how everyone does though. Good luck all!

Could you possibly just grow it out in your quarantine tank? May be worth a shot as opposed to throwing in the towel before the first picture day. 

3 minutes ago, Vance164 said:

Could you possibly just grow it out in your quarantine tank? May be worth a shot as opposed to throwing in the towel before the first picture day. 

She doesn't like to lose, so she is looking for an excuse. ?

• Like 3

Good thought, but I won't have the Q tank set up for the duration. It will be coming down in two weeks. The frag will have to move to a different tank with different lights, different flow, different parameters, etc. Thanks though, Vance.

47 minutes ago, CuttleFishandCoral said:

Tom was the only person still needing to pick up his frag as of this past Sunday. One extra if needed. Matt was nice enough to give me a frag to play with so watch out. 

Don't u mess around with my frag.  Will pick up today for this Winter's ornaments :-).  Been extremely busy ( some good busy, some stupid busy, u name it all ).  Plus fishing season so this hobby is secondary :clap:

• Like 2

Okay here is my first post.

Tank Red Sea Reefer 250

Lights: Ati 6 bulb fixture

bulb combo 

Blue plus 
Blue plus
Coral plus
Blue plus
Actinic 
Blue plus 

Salt Red Sea coral pro weekly water change 5 gallons a week

Now manually dosing with calcium alk and mag

currwnt parameters alk 8.3 calcium 525 mg 1500

no supplants other than daily dosing with rods food

IMG_2251.JPGIMG_2252.JPG

16 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

Is it just me or does Kim's tank-down shot look like zoas?  Talk about bending the rules...  :happy:

Haha!  I thought that was pretty creative myself... is there a special prize for morphing the coral back and forth from softie to SPS?  Seems pretty impressive to me!

Good luck all - I will be interested to see how this turns out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil&Fin said:

Is it just me or does Kim's tank-down shot look like zoas?  Talk about bending the rules...  :happy:

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

Haha!  I thought that was pretty creative myself... is there a special prize for morphing the coral back and forth from softie to SPS?  Seems pretty impressive to me!

Good luck all - I will be interested to see how this turns out!

Ha ha! I was wondering who would be the first to catch that. I had my money on detail oriented Holly! I figured I would have a little fun with my crappy top down picture! Next time when I have time I will use my DSL camera! :)

44 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Ha ha! I was wondering who would be the first to catch that. I had my money on detail oriented Holly! I figured I would have a little fun with my crappy top down picture! Next time when I have time I will use my DSL camera! :)

Yeah, her comment showed up as I was looking at it going "what am I missing here".  Can't slip anything past Holly!

• Like 2

Ok here is my first post.................hopefully it makes it :shock:  has polyp extension in the dark but looks pretty pissed in the daylight after dipping it.........

100 gallons or so water volume........dose 2 part when I remember.........

parameters what are those :highfive: things look good so I am scared to check..........I do check ALK once in a while........

Looks to be about 3/4 of an inch and will grab a better top down next time.......not sure where my port hole went to.

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.jpg