Only the prettiest urchin will do!

Flashy Fins

Lugols works very well on brown jelly disease. It's old school but it rarely fails me. Coral Rx Works great too but I have had much success with 40drops per gallon lugols dips on Gonis and Euphyllia. I'd say 75% success on bad infections.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chewie said:

Lugols works very well on brown jelly disease. It's old school but it rarely fails me. Coral Rx Works great too but I have had much success with 40drops per gallon lugols dips on Gonis and Euphyllia. I'd say 75% success on bad infections.  

Thanks for the info!  The urchin took out all that was left of that blue goni, and the purple one is healthy, so I'm good for now. I'll get some Lugol's, though, in case I run into trouble with anything else. I try to keep stuff like that on hand, so I'm not scrambling to find it last minute when there's trouble. 

Yep, I don't really know how they can lift that kind of weight but the do. My urchin is running around with a quarter size hunk of elephant ear monti on his back right now. My other urchin never carries anything. Maybe I should name them oscar and Felix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well, I caught him red-handed (red-mouthed?) today. There's a lot going on in this photo, so let me break it down:
DSC_8031.jpg
Water jug cap still his hat of choice, and now he's added to it a clove polyp frag. He's been carrying that around since yesterday, so I give him props for being able to hold onto something larger than him.
Two goniopora frags used to be in this (very dirty QT) tank. You can see the purple is still there, and the skeleton on the right was a blue goni frag less than an hour ago. Now, the blue goni has been deteriorating pretty much since I got it, and each day I've removed the gooey dead tissue, hoping the remaining healthy tissue will bounce back. A lot of creatures will go after unhealthy corals, while leaving healthy ones alone, so I am going to give the urchin a pass this time.
Definitely going to be watching him even more carefully now, though. Sometimes an animal gets a taste of something in its unhealthy form, then decides to sample similar healthy things. I'm not upset about losing a frag I was likely going to lose anyway, but I don't want him eating the healthy purple one or anything else. I've seen him crawling over enough frags without eating them to think he's mostly a good guy, but time will tell.

I've been looking for goniopora, where are you located and would you sell me a frag? Or trade? Not sure if I have anything you would be interested in though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G360AZ using Tapatalk

Oh I just read through the rest of the posts and it looks like you just got the goniopora so never mind :) still on the lookout though if anyone has a frag in the Washington county area lol

4 hours ago, TaylorW said:

Oh I just read through the rest of the posts and it looks like you just got the goniopora so never mind :) still on the lookout though if anyone has a frag in the Washington county area lol

I bought it at Premium Aquarium in Wilsonville. They usually keep a few colors in stock and will frag large pieces if you ask.

• Like 1

I bought it at Premium Aquarium in Wilsonville. They usually keep a few colors in stock and will frag large pieces if you ask.

Really? I still haven't had the chance to make it to that store, I have this weekend off maybe I'll make the drive thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This guy is still in QT, and I'm now 100% sure he consumed a tiny piece of setosa. Couple of days ago, it was nice and orange, and I saw him crawl up on it. It's just a tidbit that broke off my larger frag, so no loss and a good test. I watched to see what he'd do, and when he crawled away from it, there were two small white marks where he'd sampled. I thought, hmm, ok, he must have tasted it, didn't care for it, and moved on. Well, this morning the coral looked nice and orange again. Just saw the urchin directly on top of it a few minutes ago, and when he crawled away this time, he left a tiny piece of white skeleton half the size it was before. Not one bit of living tissue left.

I might be making excuses on account of his beauty, but I'm not ready to condemn him as an evil coral-hunter, because I think he's just getting desperate for food. I don't feed the coral/invert QT much, and I keep forgetting to pick up nori. I've seen him crawling all over just about every coral in the tank without eating them, but any living thing will start eating weird stuff when there's no food. So, my bad. Nori on the menu for him tonight!

• 1 month later...

After having him in my display tank for a couple of months, I can conclude this urchin is NOT reef safe, but he is picky about what he munches on. Before and after pictures of the Montipora setosa (nudi-free, promise) and blue sponge he's been snacking on:

DSC_7670.jpg

DSC_8801.jpg

DSC_7669.jpg

DSC_8970.jpg

Most of the sponge damage was done today; previously, he was just nibbling tiny bits of it and pooping them out on the other side of the tank, without much perceivable damage to the sponge. Today's snack left more of a mark. 

Haven't really decided if I'm mad enough to kick him out yet. If he starts taking bites out of fleshy LPS corals like brains and flowerpots, it's immediate eviction. My sun coral is scheduled to move from QT to display soon, and I'm nervous about that one. The sponge and setosa damage upsets me, but it's hard deciding whether it bothers me enough to get rid of the prettiest urchin there ever was!  :unsure:

• Like 1