New, with questions.

Flarph

New from Lafayette

I have a Oceanic 57 i am starting to prep for saltwater and have a few questions along with some gear to trade.

Overflow:

I  will be drilling the tank for both overflow and returns, i have picked up a 7"h x 5"d x 5.5"w weir and am planning on doing a durso style overflow setup with a 1.5" bulkhead and two 3/4" returns. I should have enough room for a 90° street to get the downward facing intake. Should this stay relatively quiet? I am planning on a flow rate around 5-700 GPH.

Gear:

I have an acrylic 20lx16hx10d sump that i would like to trade for a 20l so that i can build a sump with a refugium

I also have a HOB overflow up for grabs.

Any advice on the overflow setup would be appreciated.

Thanks

You can try to reverse engineer what size overflow pipes you would need using PVC flow charts.

https://flexpvc.com/Reference/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

However...

Bigger is almost always better, up to the point it won't fit!  

Bigger allows you to run the return pump harder if that desire comes up down the road.  

Too big and of course it gets difficult to work on.

The full siphon can definitely be smaller than the durso pipe because the full siphon moves allot more water.  

Surprising to say, 1.25" full siphon and a 1.5" durso manages to keep my 240 gallon with two DC12000 pumps quietly doing their thing (3-5000 gph).  You could probably get by with 3/4"" full siphon and 1.25" durso.

Before anything gets drilled be sure to 'dry fit' it all, just because it is hard to go back once things are drilled.

For me, having a quiet overflow was essential as the tank is right here in the office.  It had to be quiet.  That's not as strict of a requirement for everyone though, just sharing my bias.

Good luck and have fun researching!

Fishmanmike01, I already purchased the tank/stand/weir/ and bulkheads so ill probably stick with my current tank.

Acropora, I will try to size everything up. The single bulkhead i purchased is a bit of a monster with about 2" ID and a 2.5" recommended hole size. It looks like i might be able to get two 1"ID 1.5 inch hole sized bulkheads in there however they would need a 90° bend to point up because everything is coming in through the rear glass. Would this bend effect the herbie system?

I decided to return the weir and ordered in a eshops eclipse, that way I only have to drill one hole and I can save some space in the tank while having a Herbie overflow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk