April meeting?

Emerald525

Any thoughts about the April meeting. There was some discussion about doing it at Hatfield with Sid but I also think it would be good to have a meeting more central and maybe do Hatfield later in the summer like July when the weather will be nice.

Also we need to start thinking about a guest speaker. Any thoughts?

I think it would be good if we had a demonstration on the different powerheads available in the hobby. That way people could see how a vortech, gyre, or other powerheads works and the different flow patterns. I'm not sure if this is something the club could do but if so it would be awesome!

I think it would be beneficial because we see countless post about people asking if the more expensive powerheads are worth the money. I never thought they were until I got my hands on an MP-40 and now I'm a believer lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I also think Hatfield is better in the summer months. A powerhead comparison demo would be nice. I don't think I can afford anything better than what I currently have, but I also don't see what's so amazing about the better stuff, b/c I don't have any experience with it. 

We haven't had a meeting at Moloko's in a while. Maybe reach out and see if Christian's interested? 

• Like 2

I think it would be good if we had a demonstration on the different powerheads available in the hobby. That way people could see how a vortech, gyre, or other powerheads works and the different flow patterns. I'm not sure if this is something the club could do but if so it would be awesome!

I think it would be beneficial because we see countless post about people asking if the more expensive powerheads are worth the money. I never thought they were until I got my hands on an MP-40 and now I'm a believer lol!

A few years ago we had a talk about flow in coral health. I was not able to make that meeting but might be worth bringing back. I don't think he discussed specific powerheads though. I suppose we could just use the frag tank and have people bring their powerheads.

A few years ago we had a talk about flow in coral health. I was not able to make that meeting but might be worth bringing back. I don't think he

discussed specific powerheads though. I suppose we could just use the frag tank and have people bring their powerheads.

It would be nice if we had something to help visualize flow patterns. BRS used something to facilitate this when they picked power heads for their 160 build but don't know what it was.

It would be nice if we had something to help visualize flow patterns. BRS used something to facilitate this when they picked power heads for their 160 build but don't know what it was.

LoL you are talking to the wrong person about that! I don't test , don't dose, do a rough estimate of 5 gallons for a weekly water change (if it is close to the line on the bucket that's good enough) and my thermometer is my hand! :)

I just figured everyone could bring their equivalent power head , put it in a frag tank of water and rubber ducks and whoever has the fasted duck time wins! :)

I'm sure Daniel Lu with his techy mind could come up with something a little more scientific but not nearly as fun! ;)

• Like 1

Another idea is a discussion about proper fish and coral QT techniques :) we all seem to get pests or sicknesses at one point of another so we could all use some work in this area lol.

• Like 2

LoL you are talking to the wrong person about that! I don't test , don't dose, do a rough estimate of 5 gallons for a weekly water change (if it is close to the line on the bucket that's good enough) and my thermometer is my hand! :)

I just figured everyone could bring their equivalent power head , put it in a frag tank of water and rubber ducks and whoever has the fasted duck time wins! :)

I'm sure Daniel Lu with his techy mind could come up with something a little more scientific but not nearly as fun! ;)

Ha! It wasn't too sophisticated actually, just some small beads of some sort that allowed you to see the currents in the water. Basically some really small rubber duckies ????

Another idea is a discussion about proper fish and coral QT techniques :) we all seem to get pests or sicknesses at one point of another so we could all use some work in this area lol.

Perhaps some discussion of dips and techniques too?

• Like 1

Going along with the dip/quarantine theme how about how to handle corals when dipping, fragging, gluing, etc. I am so paranoid that I will damage the frag that I think I do more damage trying to be ultra careful. In the back of my mind I think that these things are in the ocean being beat by waves and God knows what else they have to be somewhat durable, right? Maybe a coral handling primer with regard to SPS, LPS, and zoa/softies?

Sent from....

• Like 2