Blue oregon tort sick from Bob moore swap

Stephab1993

I bought a blue oregon tort at the Bob moore frag swap today and due to how chaotic it was I wasn't able to fully examine everything I bought. Now that I have my new pieces in a quarantine tank I can see the blue tort is not happy. This was the most expensive piece I bought. I bought this piece for Steve who couldn't make it to the event. What can I do to help the coral until it gets to steve. I'm not an sps person. So I'm the absolute worst person to try to bring it back. Hopefully I can just get this coral to its intended owner fast, since he is sps experiwnced. d5dc42ddf135500f5b9592b74b680283.jpga8ccc8434d32eef1f25f2d8d517ce64e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Use a scapel or something and get the alge off the plug and from touching the frags tissue. If you don't know what your parameters are at, that could be pissing it off as well. Like your saying though, best would be to get it to the sps person taking it as their alk cal and mag might be in a better area for the sps frag.

Use a scapel or something and get the alge off the plug and from touching the frags tissue. If you don't know what your parameters are at, that could be pissing it off as well. Like your saying though, best would be to get it to the sps person taking it as their alk cal and mag might be in a better area for the sps frag.

I think I got it already mad. So I don't think it's my water. I'll get the algae off of it and just get it to its owner fast

This honestly has nothing to do with your tank or lights or water. Traveling and setting up these shows pits a lot of stress on corsls. I'm amazed they mostly survive. They go from a vendor who just packed them in a bucket then moved them and then you take it. The water gets cold , there is different salt, the quality of the water goes down.

Your lights didn't do this. Sps can survive in the dark for a day or 2 otherwise we would never be able to ship them. I took some of the donations and just floated the bags in my sunp overnight and one of them was an Oregon blue.

It did just fine. That frag you were showing was showing signs of rtn most likely from all the stress of travel (temperature swings , cold water)I wish o had seen this thread earlier. The only chance I have seen to Save them at that point is to cut the dead part off and only then it's still slim. Don't beat yourself up. It sucks when you are taking care of a coral for someone else but even the most expert sps growers have losses particularly with shipping corsls or travel.

• Like 5

Yes that is correct but the lighting he has is not enough for sps.. the loss of this frag was due to stress. With the lighting I would not have purchased a sps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I get where you are coming from Frank. My post wasn't directed towards you. You are providing correct information that he needs better lights if he wants to sustain sps. I was just clarifying what most likely happened. By the way everyone, Frank has had one of the nicest sps tanks that I have seen with great color and growth and knows what he is talking about. He is one of the sps masters on here !

• Like 1

It also wouldn't hurt to send this picture to the vendor you bought the tort from to see if they would refund your money.

The vendor was from California. I'm just going to bite the bullet on this one. Gotta learn some lessons the hard way. I'm very fortunate that the rest of the corals I bought from the frag swap are doing well :)

• Like 2