Stephab1993

Help! I'm new, from Gresham

Hello, my name is Stephanie and I am new to reefing. I have two clown fish and they are developing spots. Are they sick? One has a lot of spots and the other only has two spots. ec79ae17bdcea12408d16f46cde42c80.jpgd0c581bf4c3e7ab1dd0c52ac2102f4c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Are they dark spots or white spots? Do you have anemones in the tank?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I'm trying to remember......I had the same thing, and got rid of it. Someone knows the answer for sure on this one.

Hi Stephanie, I'm Lisa. Good to see other women into reefing too. The spots look black so I'm sorry I don't know how to help. You can also check out Reef 2 Reef if you don't get responses here. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this on a different forum..." The images of the clowns look more like hypermelenization from the nemocyst of LPS corals. "

The parasites that cause Black Ich and Marine Ich are very different. The 'black' coloration is blood hemorrhaging from the entry site of the parasite. You can't see the Black Ich parasite with the unaided human eye.

The 'black' is not raised up from the skin like the white spot of Marine Ich. The black spot of Black Ich is small, like a pin prick or the head of a pin.

When an Anemonefish is stung or irritated by another marine life form, the black is fuzzy, ill-defined. That is true Hyper-Melaninization. Such black spots are not tiny but larger and tend to be 'smears' or look like smudges, or smallish (but not tiny) smudges. This is not usually fatal, but the fish is being harmed.

If the fish doesn't improve on its own in a week or two, move the fish away from the offending life form (put it into a new home/new tank) or move the life form away from the fish (take it out of the tank).

If it is Black Ich, treat the fish in a hospital tank. "