Anyone really good at aquascaping?

zondebok

I will be setting up my new tank in a few weeks, and want to make sure I get the rockwork right (at least for now). I have seen enough pictures to know that I am terrible at it and would love some ideas, or even to pay/trade someone to make it awesome.

The new tank will be a 135 (72x18x24). I will be going for a full reef tank, over time. Currently I have a bunch of fish/shrimp/cuc that I will transfer over, and just a tiny ricordea and toadstool.

18" width is not gonna give you alot of options ime!

True, there may not be as many options as wider width tanks, still a lot can be done with creating arches and small caves. Allowing some open spaces in the tank can be aesthetically pleasing. Small canyons and arches can be created. Many beginning reef hobbyists have a tendency to build a wall or huge pile of rock. Much can be done with a few pieces of rock. It may take some time to achieve an effect you are finally happy with. I have seen some amazing aquascapes in even very small tanks. Remember... nothing good in this hobby happens fast!

1. Lay it all out on a piece of cardboard the same size as the bottom of your tank.

2. Spend a few hours/days perfecting the "ideal" aquascape.

3. Last step is to actually use only a third of the rock you intended on using in step 2.

If you are using less rocks, how do you not have a bunch of aggression from the fish when there are less hiding places?

I have literally 5 rocks in my displayae1e5a561725527c9ccb24ea31460011.jpg

It started like this, but I replaced all the rocks on the left with one huge rock. cd4e756e55758a3029d69762e3c7faaa.jpg You can do a lot with a little. I like minimal so I'm different than some, but I have 11 fish and no aggression issues in my tank. You'd be shocked in where they will hide.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Lots of good suggestions and advice on here.  If there is one really simple thing I have learned, whether you prefer lots of rock or a more minimalist look, is to avoid symmetry.  This gets to the golden ratio talk linked above but is an even more simplistic rule of thumb that I find helpful.  It may not make sense at first but, as you experiment a bit, you will probably find that the asymmetric arrangements (Like PowderBlue's above) will "wear" better in the long run and you will be less likely to find yourself tearing things up and starting over. I ignored this in one of my builds and regretted it for a long time after!

• Like 1

Some solid ideas already. Definitely setup outside of tank. Take a few pics and even a video to review later when putting in the tank.

I suggest filing a few flat edges on base rock and silicon it to the glass before sand. I also drilled my rock and ran fiberglass rods through to prevent toppling. I hate rock falling over

A lot of good advice here......I went simple and love a open sand bed so minimalistic approach I guess. But now may add a few more as I am running out of real estate...........in the end I think it all depends on what you are after and also how many corals you are wanting in the tank.