Blue Z’s Rimless Cube

Blue Z Reef

So I shut down my 210 gallon tank back in November. I sold off a lot of stuff and stashed some in my 4x2 frag tank. The main reason for the shutdown was time. My son was born in Feb 2016 and our year was super busy, sleepless, and a lot of fun too, however, it really took a toll on my reef keeping time. He loves my tanks though and especially loves splashing his little hands in them and trying to touch my clown fish in the frag tank LOL

E8E430BC-042A-4EB4-9156-9E3490283DA0_zps

I picked up this 45 gal Marineland rimless cube and stand off CL. I knew I wanted another display and figured this would be a more manageable size.

First thing I had to do was drill 3X 1” bulkhead holes in the back left of the tank. I made a custom corner overflow for it and have a herbie drain setup. It’s extremely quiet, lovin it!

F01DF4E3-7A9B-46C4-923E-12B77E929E3F_zps

I debated doing a cube sump under the stand, it is very open in the back to fit one. I decided due to its location (and always wanting an “equipment room” ????) I would go through the wall into the closet and put a 40B DIY sump in there.

Equipment list is as follows:

Lighting – Hydra 52 HD

Skimmer – Vertex 130 with BlueZ DC 4000 needle wheel pump

Nutrient Export – Cheato tumbler section of sump and BRS dual reactor

Return – DC6000

Water movement – Gyre 130

Elements – Jebao DP4 dosing pump + MarineMagic 3 head doser

Salt/Adds – Aquaforest reef salt, Component 1,2,3+, NP Pro, Pro Bio S, Bio S - (giving it a try!)

F1C467EC-3A98-43D2-B6DF-24B4FB5D15DB_zps

Excuse the closet stuff...still working on getting it fully organized

7917ECBC-483A-4347-8F15-45BC6D889BDA_zps

Tank is bare bottom, I used a 1/2” sheet of ABS plastic for the "sand" floor. This also allowed me to make some unique rock structures and anchor them in a hole with acrylic rod. Due to my last tank being overrun with Majanos, I did a full acid bath/bleach on my rocks so they are totally clean. I will only use real LR in my sump once things get going a bit.

631108DE-B5AD-45A2-AA10-7E3993670DE0_zps

A90FA822-37C0-46CC-9CD3-86A7509FFDA6_zps

I just added water Tuesday night. Ran into an issue when I realized I used GE Silicone 2 instead of 1 on an area. I cut it out and used aquarium silicone…wish I did that from the get go! Delayed start up about 2 weeks and had to drain it all.

Here’s where were at today:

5DB97C85-4788-453A-9E80-DF32255581FD_zps

56104E7B-FD5A-40BA-BF75-306BE6596DCF_zps

To do list:

Light mount – probably going with iron pipe and floor flange into the wall (all cords will run inside the wall)

Dosing shelf with cheato light hanger in closet

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got my light mount done and installed. All wires run inside the pipe and into the wall. I wanted it as clean as possible and I like the suspended look it gives. It was also a reasonably cheap method using steel pipe and floor flanges.

35940008-9E98-4F1A-907D-F0D58B61C771_zps

I tossed a few corals in last night. Here we go!

• Like 5

Light looks really good!

Really like the way the light turned out - kind of industrial chic and very practical. Nice idea because it's all off the shelf parts and you can easily make them at any length - just need a pipe cutter.

You can have Home Depot cut and thread to any length you want so anyone can make one of these with only the tools you need to hang it.

Light looks really good!

You can have Home Depot cut and thread to any length you want so anyone can make one of these with only the tools you need to hang it.

Thanks all!

Fortunately this was all off the shelf didn't even have to ask. Since it's a 24" cube I was able to buy a pre done 12" pipe so it's pretty much perfect off the wall. I spruced it up with a little silver spray paint ????????