Crystal Reef Aquariums/Oceans By Design tank/sump

zondebok

I am in the process of getting a quote from these guys, and want to know if those of you who have purchased from them are happy, and if you felt like it was worth the cost.  I intend to have this for a long time, so a higher initial cost is acceptable, if it is worthwhile.

Feel free to PM if you don't want to post here.

Edited by zondebok

Thanks. I guess another question is how people like their rimless tanks? I have heard maintenance can be more messy, and since I am going to have a canopy over it, it seems like I would lose any aesthetic benefit anyhow.

Yeah no point in a rimless if you are going to have a canopy on top of it. If it was a floating canopy, then I can see rimless. May as well have the benefit of a more stable build with the trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They built mine... While I love the look of my trimless tank it's a PITA to clean even with the water level lowered with the return off. You definitely have to be careful to not make a mess on the floor.

I would advise against getting a trimless tank if you're planning on a canopy, it'll be messy when you clean and I don't think it would be as safe for the added weight.

On a side note they've also had a couple tank failures in the last couple months... I'm not sure what's going on up there since Mike sold OBD and he's now building the tanks for Crystal Reef Aquatics.

While mine has been great for two years now, I don't think I'd buy another tank from them.

• Like 1

They built mine... While I love the look of my trimless tank it's a PITA to clean even with the water level lowered with the return off. You definitely have to be careful to not make a mess on the floor.

I would advise against getting a trimless tank if you're planning on a canopy, it'll be messy when you clean and I don't think it would be as safe for the added weight.

On a side note they've also had a couple tank failures in the last couple months... I'm not sure what's going on up there since Mike sold OBD and he's now building the tanks for Crystal Reef Aquatics.

While mine has been great for two years now, I don't think I'd buy another tank from them.

Wow, great post, thanks for taking the time. I think I'll go with a standard size custom built braced tank for half the cost, especially given the above information...

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you're planning on a canopy I don't see any reason to buy custom if you can get something in a dimension that makes you happy. I would however recommend buying a tank that has Starphire or another type of low iron glass. That's money well spent!

I went to the LFS and looked at their tank that is starphire on one side and regular on the other... I wish I could tell, but I couldn't...

Tank was made by the same guys that would make mine...

If you're planning on a canopy I don't see any reason to buy custom if you can get something in a dimension that makes you happy. I would however recommend buying a tank that has Starphire or another type of low iron glass. That's money well spent!

Also, I am having a stand built anyhow, as top priority is making the wife happy with how it looks. ☺️

Trust me the Starphire is worth it!

Definitely want to keep the wife happy, especially when she figures out how much you'll actually be investing into the tank!

Well, apparently I made it  ugly enough the first time that it was her idea to do the upgrade... :)

I will see on the starphire.  Just the front?  I think it should be like a $150 upgrade...

• Like 1

Nicely done lol...

I'd say it really depends on the tank dimensions and how you plan on viewing the tank, I went with just the front panel only tank because even at 30" front to back I rarely even look at my tank from the sides.

Who will you be having build your tank? What are the dimensions you're planning?

Nicely done lol...

I'd say it really depends on the tank dimensions and how you plan on viewing the tank, I went with just the front panel only tank because even at 30" front to back I rarely even look at my tank from the sides.

Who will you be having build your tank? What are the dimensions you're planning?

The tank is being built by a company in California that my LFS uses. He has several in his shop built by them that I've been able to see.

72x18x24

I wish I could go 24" wide, but it will be a lot better than the 13" I have now, and 24" would really push out into the space where the tank is.

The tank is being built by a company in California that my LFS uses. He has several in his shop built by them that I've been able to see.

72x18x24

I wish I could go 24" wide, but it will be a lot better than the 13" I have now, and 24" would really push out into the space where the tank is.

These are the dimensions of the tank I have now as well and am quite pleased. I came from a 24 inch wide tank and was worried about the loss of depth but have been surprised by what you can do with some careful rock placement. Like you, the extra width was going to be a problem based on where we had to put it. Enjoy!

These are the dimensions of the tank I have now as well and am quite pleased. I came from a 24 inch wide tank and was worried about the loss of depth but have been surprised by what you can do with some careful rock placement. Like you, the extra width was going to be a problem based on where we had to put it. Enjoy!

Good to hear!  The 13" width I have now is fairly limiting, so hopefully it will feel like a lot more :)