Where do you keep your QT tank?

zondebok

So, my wife is pretty tolerant of the DT, but putting another tank in any of our main areas is not really feasible.  Would it be OK in the garage (fairly cold in winter, warmish in summer)?  I am OK with running additional heater, fans, whatever.  

Also, do you guys keep your QT tank filled all the time, or do you fill it and maybe put in some LR from your DT or something as needed?  I currently don't have one, and haven't had any issues yet, but I know it's probably just a matter of time...

Garage will get pretty cold that's where my mixing station is and it takes two 300w heaters to keep the salt warm at least of late.

I set mine up in the same room as my DT but it was only temporary for a few weeks. So maybe as temporary would be an option for you and just keep some sponges in your sump to kick start bacteria everytime you have to set it up. That's how I plan to do it just finished my first cycle of QT this way

I could probably do it if it was temporary.  I don't have a sump, so that's why I thought a piece of rock from the DT would be OK.  I suppose I could keep some sort of sponge inside the return chamber of my skimmer.  

Do people usually set them up as needed, or keep one up all the time?

You don't want to use rock as it will suck up the meds (especially copper) and make it very difficult to maintain your levels. That and you want to be able heavily sterilize the tank if necessary, and that would destroy the rock anyway.

Best bet is to keep a bunch of filter floss tucked away in your sump. Then, when you need it, just cut a good chunk off and put it in your HOB. Just give it a lot of time in the main tank to soak up the bacteria. 

Keep an ammonia alert in the tank and monitor as much as you can to make sure ammonia stays in check.

Other than that - buy two of everything. New buckets, new nets, new siphons. Keep it all separate. I also have a box of latex gloves that I use whenever going into either tank just to be on the safe side.

You can put any kind of media in your filter. To absorb it and seed the qt tank if you can squeeze a pot scrubber or piece of sponge in your filtration some where do it. And just always keep a piec3 in there but once used in qt throw it out

Edited by Vance164