Intermediate Reefer, Excited To Be Here! :D

Zipperious

I can't wait to see what I learn about and find here in PNWMAS! I have heard a lot about this site, and work at a pet store that sells corals for the past year and a half, which is what got me started on sw/reef tanks. I have never been without a fish of some sort, and have always wanted to start a reef tank. I started my Fluval M40, 14 gallon tank about 8 months ago, it already went through a diatom phase, and it is coralized and fishy fun! :D  Some of my friends think it's silly how excited I get when I purchase a new fish, like I did today. I have a Barnacle Blenny, a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, 2 Peppermint shrimp, a tooon of hermit crabs, tonga nassarius snails, regular nassarius snails, fancy red banded trochus, trochus, astrea, and nerite snails, and a brittle star, and as of today I now have a green war paint goby as well! I love LPS corals, but my real love is Mushroom and Ricordea corals. I have a softy or 2 in my tank, and an sps, as well as an octopus coral that grew 3 heads (now it has 5) in the past 6 months. :) I can't keep Monti alive to save my life though even though my tank parameters are more than great and stable. My Kessil 260W recently died (it was used already when I got it), and I now have an AI Prime which I love! I also have the Fluval Protein Skimmer on it, and a Vortech MP10W, which I keep on Reef Crest Random 24/7. 

If anyone has any suggestions for helping me grow montis it would be greatly appreciated. We have a ton of Jedi Mind Trick at the store, and I just really don't wanna kill it like I did some of the easy orange monti a few months ago. 

EXCITED TO BE HERE!!!!

I would love to do a coral exchange or 2 sometime with anyone interested! :)

~Alexx

• Like 1

Welcome Alexx !!! I love montis and have several different kinds !

They require a little more care than softies but not too bad. The key is good light , good flow , stability particularly of your alk and calcium and keeping the water fairly clean.

There is a meeting coming up next Sunday that you are welcome to go to where you can ask your questions and trade some frags.

Here is the info:

http://www.pnwmas.or...ting-at-hollys/

• Like 2

Welcome, What store do you work in? You are probably doing a good job with your tank but the small size of your tank gives you very little margin of error with regards to your water quality.  Sounds like you might have too many fish creating too great of a bio-load on the system. Very hard to keep your nitrates and phosphates in check.  Good Luck!

• Like 1

Welcome Alexx !!! I love montis and have several different kinds !

They require a little more care than softies but not too bad. The key is good light , good flow , stability particularly of your alk and calcium and keeping the water fairly clean.

There is a meeting coming up next Sunday that you are welcome to go to where you can ask your questions and trade some frags.

Here is the info:

http://www.pnwmas.or...ting-at-hollys/

You guys are all so nice!!!! I am excited to meet everyone, and I'm super lucky I have that day off work! It was meant to be!!!! :D What sort of frags do people bring? I have a couple that I wouldn't mind trading in for something a little different, but nothing too extravagant. How big should each frag be? 

You guys are all so nice!!!! I am excited to meet everyone, and I'm super lucky I have that day off work! It was meant to be!!!! :D What sort of frags do people bring? I have a couple that I wouldn't mind trading in for something a little different, but nothing too extravagant. How big should each frag be?

There is a frag swap thread to give you an idea of what people have. Hopefully someone can send you the link. It's not seeming to work from my mobile phone.

Here's the link:

http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/39558-january-2017-meeting-frag-swap/

You can bring anything you want. Some people bring SPS others bring LPS, some bring small frags others bring larger ones. Anything fits the bill and I am sure you'll find someone to trade with. We are all pretty generous people.