Wall Hammer Death?

cjmdh

We've had a wall hammer for just under a year. I screwed up and damaged him with my arm when reaching into the tank. Pretty sure this led to the infamous brown jelly disease and he has perished. [emoji853] I say "he" because the bag that we brought him home in was rather heavy and my daughter, who names everything that goes into the tank called him "Ton" for that reason. There are about 12 little "tons" on the base of the skeleton, think I should leave it be and see what becomes of the babies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We've had a wall hammer for just under a year. I screwed up and damaged him with my arm when reaching into the tank. Pretty sure this led to the infamous brown jelly disease and he has perished. [emoji853] I say "he" because the bag that we brought him home in was rather heavy and my daughter, who names everything that goes into the tank called him "Ton" for that reason. There are about 12 little "tons" on the base of the skeleton, think I should leave it be and see what becomes of the babies?

YES! Don't toss it! I had something similar happen with my frogspawn, I almost tossed it then decided not too. Anyways I'm glad I didn't because it did come back, it took a few months though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G360AZ using Tapatalk

Do you mean it was growing new heads?  I've heard wall euphyllia are pretty sensitive compared to their branching cousins and once they start going, there isn't much that can be done to save them.  Sorry to hear about the piece, that's a bummer.  I'd definitely give it a chance to come back.  Coral can be really surprising in it's ability to save itself.  

• Like 2

Do you mean it was growing new heads? I've heard wall euphyllia are pretty sensitive compared to their branching cousins and once they start going, there isn't much that can be done to save them. Sorry to hear about the piece, that's a bummer. I'd definitely give it a chance to come back. Coral can be really surprising in it's ability to save itself.

The way it was described to me when I lost my Orange wall, was that they grow from a single head so once a problem starts, you can't just remove the problem head or wack off the bad part. Where with branching, you just remove the bad head or let it die.

• Like 1

I'd love to see a picture of the baby Tons!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Yep, there are tiny little hammers around the skeleton.  Not the best picture and it's from June. They are a little bit bigger now.

d8dfdb28354c4c3a57430b7dcc6ce22f.jpg

Edited by cjmdh

Here is a picture from today that my wife took. I am out of town and didn't realize the little guys were so big now. They are getting more light now that the big guy is gone. Looks like Ton's babies are going to stay. [emoji1]

f5dd7b97e674a8166bf887c56f6ea38b.jpg

• Like 2