Hi...I'm new. Setting up a 250 Gal with 350 Gal Sump

N70SJ

My system evaporates 8.9 gallons per day (24 hrs). Just tested it over the past 24 hrs.  I marked the exact level of the water in the main Sump 24 hrs ago and I shut off the auto-top-off system.  I just went down and took RODI water and poured it into the Sump a gallon at a time until the water was at the exact level it was 24 hrs ago. I added 8.9 Gallons. That means my system evaporates completely every 60 days.

Edited by N70SJ
  • Like 2

That is a massively impressive achievement! I think I need to look over the pictures one more time because I'm not entirely clear on the setup.

My biggest question is are you worried about condensation under your house? I'm not sure how the temperature is down there, but typically crawl spaces stay pretty cold. Add in warm humid air and your area would get pretty nasty. Obviously if the whole area is weathered that would be a different story.

Thanks for sharing so much detail! And also, you don't have to quote your previous post in order to post another one. Just add a new post. That way you won't have double messages. :)

I look forward to hearing more about it!

• Like 1

Yes evaporation is always a concern. The ceiling has 5 mil plastic and waterproof foam over it. The system evaporates 8.9 gallons/day. I am installing a single venting pipe the length of the ceiling with a high CFM fan to outside controlled by room humidity and or temp.
e82342529489e620bed9a4ddc4913ef4.jpg

Edited by N70SJ
  • Like 1

Yes evaporation is always a concern. The ceiling has 5 mil plastic and waterproof foam over it. The system evaporates 8.9 gallons/day. I am installing a single venting pipe the length of the ceiling with a high CFM fan to outside controlled by room humidity and or temp.

e82342529489e620bed9a4ddc4913ef4.jpg

Nice work! You certainly seem to have thought everything through. Your carpentry looks pretty solid as well!

If you don't mind my asking, what causes you to leave home for months at a time?

Very nice setup!  Knew you were "the type of guy with a cool setup"...you just looked like you're a person that does things once and does it right!  :-)

(I believe we met Saturday at SO.)  We're in Gresham as well, around Persimmons area.

We were in the hobby about 10+ years ago, but much has changed since then.  Still learning, so your posts are a gem. 

--Wendy and Cliff Smith

• Like 1

Very nice setup! Knew you were "the type of guy with a cool setup"...you just looked like you're a person that does things once and does it right! :-)

(I believe we met Saturday at SO.) We're in Gresham as well, around Persimmons area.

We were in the hobby about 10+ years ago, but much has changed since then. Still learning, so your posts are a gem.

--Wendy and Cliff Smith

Thanks Wendy,

It was nice meeting you and Cliff. I guess you guys are my closest Reefer friends! I have had a Salt water Set-up since 1982 and never really talked to anyone much about it except my College buddy in Scarsdale NY who has....had a reef tank. You mentioned you and Cliff had evaporation concerns. There are several ways to address that which you probably are aware of but by far the best is to exchange indoor air with fresh out-door without loosing heat in winter and without introducing heat in the Summer. You would need a heat recovery ventilator ie:0418f318b19a52c4ec5e3a32f83cfa19.jpg

I would love to see your Red-Sea set up. Have Cliff call me if he wants Cell (503) 260-9111.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BREAK-IN-PERIOD ..... Day 5

Ok I was Sceptical about:

45a36ee21e1321c139a2348fa2c701c7.jpg

This Bio-Sand stuff but it appears to be working quite well. Either that or feeding 15 fish 3 times a day for 5 days has not created 0 readings of:

Ammonia

Nitrites

Or Nitrates.

45dc2fb6bb3f0f721e22cda9ea737a1c.jpg

Diatoms are starting to grow nicely as expected. c185c82443d2cfa7dbcb4b5926767f90.jpg

I hope I not in for Filamentous Algae next.

They say breaking in a tank with LIVE rock still should have some short-term spikes in Ammonia, Nitrites & Nitrates.0528ee37587b3076fafaa32164c9c2a5.jpg

Thats kinda Crazy. Always Cycled tanks the old way with just fish and rock.

Do you think I could continue for the next 25 days with No readings of Ammonia, Nitrites or Nitrates. I guess I'll find out.

PS My skimmer kicked it up a notch to sucking 42 Liters-of-Air per min!f11a00f38d55677c2df8d71a11d3cae9.jpg

Bye for now.

Very Nice! And Very happy you decided to share the your build with us on the forum. I am a Big DIY guy so all the fine details are appreciated by myself and a number of others lurking here. That Scout is going to be getting quite the heads up in the salt water world, I did the same for my children and never heard a complaint.

• Like 2

I don't need the C-Reactor yet but I like to set it up and get it running a few months before the system has LPS and SPS corals that require 420-450 ppm of C. I like to run it without dripping in C to insure the circulation pump, bubble counter, Co2 regulator etc are running smoothly and consistently for a couple month before I drip to sump.

• Like 1

.........Chocolate Bamboo.......

In keeping with the Tropical/Nautical theme I am going to build the top for my Display tank Saturday.

I'm also going to have the entire top counter-balanced and in rails so with one finger it can be easily lifted up to as much as 36", allowing complete access. The light fixtures will remain in a fixed position in the hood. Hood will be vented into a Lifebreath heat recovery ventilator.3a19ec2a2a07350e5754a1ae0980b4af.jpg

Below is a basic idea of how the HRV system works. Not every needs a system like this....its just my system evaporated 9 gallons a day. My wife gave me the dirty eye when the man tuning our Piano asked how the strings on such a new Piano were so rusty.....oops....thats when you say...."Wow thats strange, I have no idea!" And then you quickly buy a HRV.960d0fc32e75388dda8ce95f107e2b69.jpg

Below are the rails/tracks I attach to the hood. They are very smooth and can hold 750 lbs. I know my hood will only weigh a fraction on that as well as being counter weighted with one stainless cable going through a single 1/4" hole into the ceiling then over two pulleys and counter weighted to 5 pounds less than the hood weight.7d042be7a8d41c1573ec1c10cbc1c4f4.jpg

Hopefully I don't screw it up.

I will share the below picture for those who may have a piano near, (in my case the next room). I learned the hard way. I wish I knew about these 4' heat stripe you can attach below stuff to fight off the corroding effects of salt-water humidity.861bb2b16dc2e68269033ae821a68cab.jpg