Got myself a doser

milesmiles902

Hey everyone,

Been out of the house a lot lately and I end up skipping dosing for a morning or afternoon with my schedule - or- I have to have my roommates dose my aquarium. Kind of scary putting all of my corals in the hands of another person, especially with something that can incinerate them if done wrong. So, I got myself a doser.

zipqtd.jpg

From left to right I have Calcium, Alkalinity, Red Sea Energy A+B Mix and lastly water. For now I went and cut some PVC to hold the hoses, which works pretty well. I know a lot of amino acids/vitamins decompose under light, so I went and added a solid white hose for the energy blend. Looking at it now I need to also put a white hose on the inlet. i know it should be refrigerated, but I just don't leave a lot out at once. The water dosing is a way to compensate for an auto-top off. Temps don't change much in the house and the evaporation rate is usually constant. Gotta love the dried gorilla glue.

5u45cp.jpg

The corals took a hit with climbing phosphates and nitrates, and lack of consistent dosing, but some of them seem happier since I've added it:

99gt90.jpg

md1bv7.jpg

70fhw5.jpg

Can you see the acro-crab? It was a hitchhiker from Jeff's grand opening. Shhh. Don't tell him. ;)

2hwzndx.jpg

Anemone I got from Gil & Fin. It's split a couple times now.

30iz41i.jpg

Roommates dog with half-eaten carrot. He loves ripping out the stuffing. Recently, he has been stock piling half-eaten animal legs and only the leg. He eats the rest, but leaves the leg. I think there are four or five around the house.

wuozr4.jpg

The sump area. The baffles just fell apart last week. I have been told that acrylic-silicone-glass is a bad idea and next round plan to design my sump before the tank. It was poor planning on my part.

amxxn5.jpg

I have had this beaut for about 5 years, but this run is about 1.2 years old. There is a lot of stuff I am going to fix next time, but for now it's my baby.

ilkrxh.jpg

• Like 7

I got this same doser but haven't set it up yet.  What do you think so far?  It was a good deal for a 4 pump doser with controller.  I'm wondering how reliable it will be long term.  

I think it is an awesome piece of equipment. I had to re-calibrate the doser, which took about an hour, but since then it has been rocking. I trust it at this point.

You bring up a good point. I think after two, four and eight weeks I am going to see if there is dosing drift. I wouldn't be surprised. If it is adding another mL over a month I don't think it would hurt the tank too much because the corals are growing.

I'll throw up a table in a couple months. Thanks for the advice.

Looking good Miles.  I see that Miyagi Tort is starting to show it's green.  That's a difficult step on that one in my experience.  I've been dealing with dosing with my own custom built dosers for Alk/Calc and do magnesium by hand because it needs so little.  

You bring up an interesting point of dosing drift.  I have had to adjust mine upwards a minute at a time due to increased demands every month or so.  It's been a fun adventure.  I like your pvc line holders.  

• Like 1