Got aiptasia :(

danlu_gt

So I'm at Walgreens trying to buy a syringe with needle. I explain I want to use it for my fish tank to remove pests and she didn't believe me. She said she have a fish tank and don't see a need for needle. I even showed her pics of my tank and what I'm trying to do and she still won't sell it to me. [language filter]! Never thought buying a syringe and needle is so hard. How do drug addicts do it??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Lol-- I can't believe they won't sell syringes in Oregon. Like that is the limiting factor of being a heroin addict or something.

You can buy syringes and needles on Amazon and get them mailed here. Just don't throw them in the trash after use, it is against the law here. Put them in a container and take them to the Walgreens for disposal.

Lol-- I can't believe they won't sell syringes in Oregon. Like that is the limiting factor of being a heroin addict or something.

You can buy syringes and needles on Amazon and get them mailed here. Just don't throw them in the trash after use, it is against the law here. Put them in a container and take them to the Walgreens for disposal.

Thanks. I saw Amazon have them in pack of 10. I figured I only need 1 and would be faster to get it locally. I figured wrong. Haha

Have you thought of using Wild Copperband or Racoon Bf? they are very effective in removing aiptasia and mojano.

I had a filefish months back that would eat all food plus aptisia but he jumped out. I got another one now and he's eating flakes and frozen food but haven't seen any reduction of aptisia yet. Maybe too soon to tell. I did tried a copperband but he starved to death.

You can also use peppermint shrimp.

Put the shrimp in a net and quickly flip the net with shrimp to the back rock work

and leave it there while you feed the trigger. The shrimp will come out to the rock work

and trigger will not bother them.

If you just throw the shrimp into the tank the trigger would take it as food.

I'll try that next. Thanks

I had a filefish months back that would eat all food plus aptisia but he jumped out. I got another one now and he's eating flakes and frozen food but haven't seen any reduction of aptisia yet. Maybe too soon to tell. I did tried a copperband but he starved to death.

The best is wild copperband and racoon bf. Copperband is always my first choice, those aiptasia will be gone in no time.

If you have mojano also then you need wild racoon bf.

As for Aiptasia-rearing tips, if I lost my mind, had the time, and had to do it all over again, I would set up a 55 with some live rock festooned with these 'nems, feed them lavishly a few times a day with Artemia naups, cyclops, Daphnia, etc., make sure they have lighting and flow they like, and take a toothbrush lightly to some of the largest sequoias so they multiply by pedal laceration. I would also provoke other large broodstock with needles, so they release most of their larval planula in a panic release. One of these buggers with an oral disc the size of a nickel can crank out 25-50 or more planula every day under optimal conditions. When deliberately provoked, they can probably increase production, though I'm not sure about this. I'd also add lots of small- and medium-sized live rock that can be easily removed and added to the Berghia culture(s) and cycled back and forth for feeding.

If she really wants to pursue this, I'd also make [language filter] sure she understands biosecurity and has dedicated tools and other gear for this system. Otherwise, well, I shudder to think!

Hope this is helpful.

Awesome tips, thanks!

As a Dad, I have to ask more about Bio Security.  Are you talking about cross contamination or a risk to her?  Appreciate it.  

And Daniel, appreciate the thread and please excuse the hijack.

Good stuff!

Awesome tips, thanks!

As a Dad, I have to ask more about Bio Security.  Are you talking about cross contamination or a risk to her?  Appreciate it.  

And Daniel, appreciate the thread and please excuse the hijack.

Good stuff!

I'm referring specifically to biosecurity between each system, i.e. dedicated tools for each, sanitizing them between uses, making sure that she doesn't reach into and work on the Aiptasia system and then puts her hands into other systems without washing/sanitizing, proper quarantine, etc. I preach this stuff chapter and verse to OSU vet students and AQS students who work with me. These habits and this kind of awareness are critically important in professional facilities but also apply to our systems at home as well. An ounce of prevention is worth weeks and months of profound lower back pain every time!

• Like 1

I'm referring specifically to biosecurity between each system, i.e. dedicated tools for each, sanitizing them between uses, making sure that she doesn't reach into and work on the Aiptasia system and then puts her hands into other systems without washing/sanitizing, proper quarantine, etc. I preach this stuff chapter and verse to OSU vet students and AQS students who work with me. These habits and this kind of awareness are critically important in professional facilities but also apply to our systems at home as well. An ounce of prevention is worth weeks and months of profound lower back pain every time!

Ahah, I get it, definitely.

Fortunately we just put a sink in the reef room and she is meticulous about making sure baby nudis don't get into the aptasia culture.  We are off to a good start.  Long term is the test of course, we shall see :)

Appreciate the help!

You can try really any farm store for syringes and needles. Any place like that sells vaccines will sell them for like a quarter. If you were closer I'd bring you as many as you need! But I have three farm stores close to me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G360AZ using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I saw Amazon have them in pack of 10. I figured I only need 1 and would be faster to get it locally. I figured wrong. Haha

I totally missed this. To find a place that has a lot of different sized needles you should go to a cattle feed / farm store. Most have needles for animals of all sizes. 

That's where I used to get my dosing needles. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sschering said:

Has anyone taken on the Berghia breeding challenge? I could use a few to tame my 14 before the apps get a gang going.

My daughter has some second generation nudis going.  We almost lost them all but a handful made it.

I would say in another few weeks if things go well she might have a handful to unload.  

So glad to hear there is still interest, she is a few hundred bucks into it and hoping to at least break even!

We used this combo to wipe them out of my son's tank.

• Aptasia X on as many as possible.
  • Followed up by 4 nudis.  

This was in a sixty gallon cube.

The aptasia x took out the bulk.  Then, nudis polished off the hidden and harder to get to aptasia.

He is completely aptasia free.

I think the aptasia x is important, otherwise you have to wait for generations of nudis to populate, and that can take quite a while.

14 minutes ago, TheClark said:

My daughter has some second generation nudis going.  We almost lost them all but a handful made it.

I would say in another few weeks if things go well she might have a handful to unload.  

So glad to hear there is still interest, she is a few hundred bucks into it and hoping to at least break even!

Keep us posted Jeremy - I think it would be interesting to experiment with these.  I'm guessing my melanarus wrasse might as well :EvilGrin:

1 minute ago, albertareef said:

Keep us posted Jeremy - I think it would be interesting to experiment with these.  I'm guessing my melanarus wrasse might as well :EvilGrin:

Thanks!

That is a challenge for sure.  

Here is something interesting we have seen.  They come out at only at night unless they are starving.  In fact it is rare to see them in the day time.  Think of how monti eating nudibranchs survive no matter how many wrasses a person has, there is a good parallel!

1 hour ago, TheClark said:

Thanks!

That is a challenge for sure.  

Here is something interesting we have seen.  They come out at only at night unless they are starving.  In fact it is rare to see them in the day time.  Think of how monti eating nudibranchs survive no matter how many wrasses a person has, there is a good parallel!

Good point. The wrasse definitely likes to hit the hay (or sand in his case) as soon as the lights kick down so seems like there is a good chance it could work. There is plenty of rock-work  for them to hide in in the meantime.

Edited by albertareef

On 1/6/2017 at 10:06 PM, danlu_gt said:

I went to local pharmacy to buy a syringe with needle but they won't sell it to me without prescription.  I told them I want to use it on my fish tank.  I should have tell them I'm an addict...reef junkie, then they'll probably give me one for free.  haha 

Hit up your local wilco. Needles and syringes all day long. 

16 hours ago, albertareef said:

Good point. The wrasse definitely likes to hit the hay (or sand in his case) as soon as the lights kick down so seems like there is a good chance it could work. There is plenty of rock-work  for them to hide in in the meantime.

Then there is this one, thinks he is hidden

wouldnt stand a chance lol

Where's Waldo nudi edition 

IMG_0078.JPG