Maxspect Gyre or Jebao CP40?

Big Whisky

I've pretty much decided to purchase a Gyre-style wavemaker.

It would seem that I could save over half the money by buying the Jebao, but I have heard some horror stories by way of reviews. (Quit running after a few months, etc). The Maxspect has better reviews, but is over twice the price of the Jebao.

Can anyone that has experience with these units offer any reviews/advice?

Please & thanks,

-Breck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't used the gyre style jebao's but their regular wavemakers have been pretty solid.  I have a WP10/WP25/WP60/RW4 and they all still work like champs.  I've heard bad things about their gyre ripoff's though.  

I can't speak for the Maxspect ones.  I have a used XF-150 that has a busted magnetic seal on it's rotor shaft that should be repaired in the next couple of days when the part comes in.  I'll be posting a video of what it does to my flow when it goes live.  Considering the very negative experience with Maxspect customer service (didn't care because warranties don't transfer and didn't seem concerned that such a crazy part of it broke) I think in the future I'll just be buying Vortech.  

Edited by youcallmenny

I haven't used the gyre style jebao's but their regular wavemakers have been pretty solid. I have a WP10/WP25/WP60/RW4 and they all still work like champs. I've heard bad things about their gyre ripoff's though.

I can't speak for the Maxspect ones. I have a used XF-150 that has a busted magnetic seal on it's rotor shaft that should be repaired in the next couple of days when the part comes in. I'll be posting a video of what it does to my flow when it goes live. Considering the very negative experience with Maxspect customer service (didn't care because warranties don't transfer and didn't seem concerned that such a crazy part of it broke) I think in the future I'll just be buying Vortech.

Do you mount your WPs on the back wall of the tank, pointing toward the front?

The main thing is that the maxspect will have a warranty, most have trouble claiming any warranty with Jebao. I've had pretty good luck with jebao products however, all my RWs ran for 3 years and my WPs went for 2. For the money that's not terrible.

Also, not sure if you've seen but since they released the XF series, you can link 2, so they have begun selling the whole pump assembly separate from the controller ($140 for the 230 and $160 for the 250). At least your not buying the whole thing again if the pump goes out. Vortech is the same with needing wet sides replaced occasionally. This hobby deals with a very harsh environment (salt water), everything is going to fail eventually.

And I'm running a used gyre 130 on my new cube, can't speak to longevity yet but we'll see.

Edited by Blue Z Reef

Do you mount your WPs on the back wall of the tank, pointing toward the front?

One on the left wall pointing to the right, one on the right wall pointing left.  The RW series is the replacement for the WP series, so I'd get the RW's if that's the route you choose.  I'll be replacing the WP-25 on the left with the XF-150 Gyre in the next couple of days.  I'm not sure if the RW-4 wavemaker on the right wall will be too much with the gyre  but right now I'm anticipating leaving it in and dialing them both down.

The main reason I like the Gyre, is that it will be plenty as the only source of circulation in my 75 gal tank. (Besides the return pump). I'm not a fan of having a bunch of powerheads all over the walls of the tank.

I have a 75g display tank as well. I'm hoping the xf150 will be enough for the whole tank but I don't expect it to be. I am not a fan of using any wave maker going front to back either.

Agreed. If I do go with the Gyre, I'll mount in on the left wall, pointing toward the right.

I'm using the gyre xf150 on a 4ft 75 gallon and currently can only run it at 40-50% any more than that is too much and it starts blowing everything all over the place. I bought a used unit off here for 125 bucks so hard to beat that. I don't know much about the cp40 reviews seemed good but from what I saw hard to get your hands on since there in court for patent infringement. I'd rather support maxspect on this anyways since they made such a different product than anyone else.

I'm using the gyre xf150 on a 4ft 75 gallon and currently can only run it at 40-50% any more than that is too much and it starts blowing everything all over the place. I bought a used unit off here for 125 bucks so hard to beat that. I don't know much about the cp40 reviews seemed good but from what I saw hard to get your hands on since there in court for patent infringement. I'd rather support maxspect on this anyways since they made such a different product than anyone else.

Is it your only source of circulation?

Interesting.  Same size tank I've got and I really wouldn't have expected it to do the job alone.  That'd be awesome if i could just take all my other pumps out completely and rely on the gyre+return for flow.  Judging by some videos I've seen online, they do indeed generate a hilarious amount of water movement.  I guess the new shaft for mine will be here tomorrow so I'll get some video uploaded by tomorrow night.  

Interesting. Same size tank I've got and I really wouldn't have expected it to do the job alone. That'd be awesome if i could just take all my other pumps out completely and rely on the gyre+return for flow. Judging by some videos I've seen online, they do indeed generate a hilarious amount of water movement. I guess the new shaft for mine will be here tomorrow so I'll get some video uploaded by tomorrow night.

From everything I have read a single 150 should be adequate for a 6ft tank. Which is what I was originally gathering equipment for. Was kind of a selling point for ne since 6ft would require 2x mp40's

I ran a single gyre 130 on my 48x24x12 for 6 months and it was plenty of flow. I now run 2 but I tend to overkill most things in this hobby where I can afford to. My initial pumps been running at 100 percent from day one, no issues and has so much coraline I can't even see any black on it. It's literally pink. I've run vortechs, I like vortechs but the gyre has much wider flow.

I wouldn't skimp on 3 things

Powerheads

Skimmer

And lights.

But that's just my .02 :)

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I run a single XF150 on my 6 foot 180 gal. The tank is full of SPS colonies and it's definitely sufficient for the coral. I've thought about getting another one for the other side, but only because I feel like I might kick up some extra detritus. But as for coral growth, the pump is sufficient. I run it on constant mode and it surges across the tank with no problems.  I also run the Jebao DC12000 for my return and it's been running over a year and I've never even opened it up since putting it online.

Just order the Jebao PP4 for my little tank at the office that is supposed to arrive tomorrow.  I was really considering the MP10, but that was $235 and the Jebao was $42.  I wouldn't worry about Jebao's warranty.  Amazon lets you add a warranty to your purchase, so for an extra $3 I have a two year warranty.  I could have paid $5 instead and got a 3 year warranty, but I figured I'd be satisfied with just two years.  It's a nice way to get a reliable warranty from an otherwise unreliable brand.  Thanks Amazon!

As a Prime account, that's a pretty good tip. Thanks for that! I order most of my gear there because of the free shipping.

edit:

Ok, I got the new shaft and repaired the XF-150.  It's in my tank on 50% pulse @ ~1s.  I tried using just the gyre and my return outlet but the opposite side of the tank wasn't getting quite as much turbulence as I liked.  I turned the RW-4 on the right side back on at 100% and am now very pleased with the overall flow pattern.  Very random, no dead spots, crazy surface movement and nothing is getting blown back to the ocean.  I'm glad I waited it out and repaired the unit.  Definitely a major improvement over the two pumps on the left side it replaced.  

Edited by youcallmenny

I have a xf-150 on my 75, I have it set to about 30% power surging for 4 seconds or so...the flow is pretty good, but I still get some dead spots on my sandbed.   I have it mounted high on one end of the tank, the dead spots are probably due to my rock and coral placement.  Very happy so far, it was used as well; and replaced three other wave makers.