Joined the Ocean Revive Club... Finally!

TheClark

I started out as a DIY LED guy.

Time is at a premium these days, and it felt like time to go looking for a good priced LED that is proven to grow coral.

The Ocean Revive's pop up on all kinds of successful tanks. Probably the most impactful tank I ran across with these was Danik's tank. If you had a chance to see it, one of the best of the best.

So finally I was able to pull the trigger.

This is a picture of 2 OR over an 8' frag tank (6' used area). They are complemented with two blue T5s, and mounted into a T5 6 bulb fixture (4 bulbs and reflectors removed).

It looks beautiful, hopefully the coral like it as much as I do...

787874b69025835b8fd3609be15cee2a.jpg

579f45454202f6e3023e5d66c6173569.jpg

548069f95a4e2a2f7b214978c4e972e1.jpg

• Like 3

That mounting job looks great! I'm sure you'll love the way the OR lights make your corals pop.

Can you see the fans spinning with it recessed in the T5 fixture like that? You'll want to check the fans regularly, since the fans are the weak point of these lights. When they eventually go out (It took about 1.5 yrs for me), the LED diodes will be prone to overheating and burning out. But, if you check them regularly, you can get the fans fixed before you have an overheating/diode issue.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/2/2017 at 9:01 AM, Higher Thinking said:

Nice work man! What about those frags? How're they looking?

Ah man, I completely forgot to post back some pics.  Here is a very quick and and very dirty quick frag shot showing a variety of corals doing good under this combo.

There are SPS, LPS, zoas.  Montis, birds nest elegance, hydnophora etc...

IMG_0673.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I'm glad to see the grandi Palys are still alive and thriving in the tank.  Setting up my new tank today. Reminds me I should take some photos

4 hours ago, TheClark said:

Ah man, I completely forgot to post back some pics.  Here is a very quick and and very dirty quick frag shot showing a variety of corals doing good under this combo.

There are SPS, LPS, zoas.  Montis, birds nest elegance, hydnophora etc...

IMG_0673.JPG

Looking good Jeremy!   Not sure if that should be considered supplementing T5 with LED or supplementing LED with T5 but nice either way!

• Like 1

Where did you get them? The price has gone up since I last looked. I just snagged a couple on CL for $60 ea, but wouldn't mind getting more. They're a lot cheaper than my ecorays and they seem to have a better spectrum. I'm not sure how they compare to the ecorays PAR though. That was the main reason I first bought ecorays, the PAR per watt seemed to be the best at the time.

60 bucks each is a steal @dayze9

They are available all over the place online and your local store can probably order them in as well.  

They do go on and off sale so sometimes it pays to wait and watch.

These things put out par, and you can always add more fixtures if you need more.. I have seen way too many gorgeous SPS tanks to doubt their PAR ability.

10 hours ago, albertareef said:

Looking good Jeremy!   Not sure if that should be considered supplementing T5 with LED or supplementing LED with T5 but nice either way!

Thanks Sean!  

The combo adds a little visual punch that is easy on the eyes.  The T5s fill the shady spots in a nice way and 'smooth' out the leds.   Also, with only two bulbs, the replacement costs are pretty low compared to full t5 fixture.

If you can find a way to do it, it is a good experiment for sure.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Thanks Sean!  

The combo adds a little visual punch that is easy on the eyes.  The T5s fill the shady spots in a nice way and 'smooth' out the leds.   Also, with only two bulbs, the replacement costs are pretty low compared to full t5 fixture.

If you can find a way to do it, it is a good experiment for sure.

Yeah - I really like the idea and may experiment at some point but would need to find some 36 inch single bulb fixtures and a new way to mount all the lights.  Which means it isn't happening anytime soon ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheClark said:

60 bucks each is a steal @dayze9

They are available all over the place online and your local store can probably order them in as well.  

They do go on and off sale so sometimes it pays to wait and watch.

These things put out par, and you can always add more fixtures if you need more.. I have seen way too many gorgeous SPS tanks to doubt their PAR ability.

Yeah, I agree $60 was a smokin deal. I've seen them all over the web for about $175 for the one without a timer, $200 for one with. I was just asking you to see if you found a better deal somewhere else. I'll keep looking around for sales.