Tank heater quit.

fishoutawater

That sucks man. Can you give us the details? Lots of heater questions come up and it's always good to hear about which ones go on the fritz. 

What brand/size etc?

Heaters are a mostly under-appreciated piece of equipment. If a light breaks it's no big deal and can be replaced fairly easily (obviously expensive). If a pump breaks the tank can probably go a few hours or more and as long as you toss another one in there's really no issue. But a heater that sticks on or doesn't come on at all can destroy a tank in no time....sucks.

Safe bet is to run multiple lower wattage heaters. I'm currently running 4 200w heaters on my tank.

All four heaters are plugged into a power strip that is controlled by my apex.

I'm no apex fan boy, but when it comes to controlling/monitoring heating/cooling, an apex is hard to beat.

• Like 1

All tank heaters will fail at some point.. Period! Regardless of brand it is bound to fail, and such a critical piece of equipment has the potential of wiping out an entire tank. I would invest the money into some sort of controller whether it be an apex to monitor or something as simple as a JBJ Heater Controller. The few extra bucks now can potentially save you thousands in the long run.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion Exodus. I have always worried about the heater I use for my system. It's a high quality one but it will most likely fail some day. It also has a temp swing of 4-5F degrees daily.

On your advice I just ordered a JBJ temp controller. Really neat little piece of equipment! What a peace of mind. I will plug a secondary heater in to use as a backup. This will also really level out the temp swing. Thanks again, you have really helped me out of a potential disaster I wasn't sure how to avoid.

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 2

Hope everything goes okay fishoutofwater. Interestingly Woody from Seahorse was always a strong advocate for not using heaters. I don't recall the rationale but it was something about not needing them. I suppose if your tank is indoors and you don't have a lot of sps that probably is the case. I never tried it though. I know for sure blue mushrooms make it through most things..

• Like 1

Hope everything goes okay fishoutofwater. Interestingly Woody from Seahorse was always a strong advocate for not using heaters. I don't recall the rationale but it was something about not needing them. I suppose if your tank is indoors and you don't have a lot of sps that probably is the case. I never tried it though. I know for sure blue mushrooms make it through most things..

Funny you should mention that Kim! Robert doesn't use any heaters also if I remember correctly, he simply heats his house haha! And we all know how successful he is with corals and fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Funny you should mention that Kim! Robert doesn't use any heaters also if I remember correctly, he simply heats his house haha! And we all know how successful he is with corals and fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not know that and it does make sense when you think about it. It's not like the ocean is a constant temperature and I have seen more issues with heat than cold damaging my sps.  We don't have a heater on the seahorse tank because the are less prone to a parasite that Colby mentioned at his talk but I have since forgotten which one and it really does not get that cold.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I've wondered if anyone doesn't use heaters, what would you all think about not using a heater in a tropical fish tank with just guppies? I just personally hate the look of a bulky heater in freshwater tanks, do you think it would be safe? Sorry to hijack your thread!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G360AZ using Tapatalk