Vance164's first reef

Vance164

Well due to space and impatience I put the 125 away and decided to setup this acrylic tank I scored for free off of here from Edansclownhouse! Was glad to snag it before it was taken to the dump. As some of you know I've been cycling my rock for a few months in a pond liner in my garage. Which seemed to really help Jumpstart my cycle! So here's a few pics of the new setup.

When I first moved all the rocks over to the new setup

20161214_214253_zpsakqqczxb.jpg

Rock work done for now not sure I'm completely happy but will go with it for now.

20161220_215701_zpspq1hglyj.jpg

After adding ammonia and testing and having it all turn to nitrate in a 24 hour period a few times I decided it was time to go so Jeff at C&C for my first bits of live stock!!

A pair of clowns

20161225_181539_zpstnksf76r.jpg

And my first frags! Just gsp to get me started. I did dip them in bayer. And don't mind the diatom bloom haven't picked up and acrylic scrubber yet so it's a little dirty :(

20161225_172751_zps45sjrcdu.jpg

20161225_172654_zpsn6k2rgl2.jpg

• Like 3

What are the dimensions? It looks like a pretty sweet size! That light is cool to.

Sent from my SM-G928V using

Tapatalk

48 long x 21 x 16 tall

The light is one of Daniel's reefi leds. I will run two eventually and remake the conduit hangers (idea stolen from Daniel but made sense since bending emt is how I make a living)

Edited by Vance164

Glad to see things are getting off the ground Vance. I'm sure the 125 will make it up when the time is right. Merry Christmas!

Thank you merry Christmas to you as well! The 125 will get setup but 6ft takes up a lot of space and we will be moving at some point next year so this tank was just much more practical. And also gives me more time to build everything just how I'd like for it.

48 long x 21 x 16 tall

The light is one of Daniel's reefi leds. I will run two eventually and remake the conduit hangers (idea stolen from Daniel but made sense since bending emt is how I make a living)

Those dimensions are awesome, my tank is 48x24x12 I wish it was 16. Congrats getting it up and running!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Hey Vance, you were asking about my light settings couple weeks ago... Below is my settings for my tank. It's easier to screen capture all the settings with browser instead of app. From the app, goto setup menu to find your ReeFi LED IP address. Then goto any web browser and enter URL: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/settings.html

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address.

Here my settings:

post-12985-148354486514_thumb.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hey Vance, you were asking about my light settings couple weeks ago... Below is my settings for my tank. It's easier to screen capture all the settings with browser instead of app. From the app, goto setup menu to find your ReeFi LED IP address. Then goto any web browser and enter URL: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/settings.html

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address.

Here my settings:

20170104_073909.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thank you daniel!

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been getting what I thought was algae but I've had a few people now tell me it's the start of coraline algae. Anyone have an idea of what it is or if there correct?

20170114_181845_zpsxqdlqj8v.jpg

Looks like algae to me.  Get a few snails to keep in under control.  I would stay away from Mexican Turbo snails.  They are too big and will bulldoze your coral frags off.

• Like 1

Looks like algae to me. Get a few snails to keep in under control. I would stay away from Mexican Turbo snails. They are too big and will bulldoze your coral frags off.

I tried to scrub some off early with a tooth brush didn't seem to do anything to it and I plan on adding more of a clean up crew in a few weeks looking into black trochus snails my yellow tang will be done with qt this week so should help also.

Looks like rock going through its initial phases of coloring up. Unless it starts getting fuzzy I wouldn't worry about it. Www.reefcleaners.org is a great place to get your CUC.

As a differing opinion, turbo snails are awesome. I've had 4 of them in my 75g since it started. They're the size of raquetballs now and never knock frags off the rocks.

• Like 1

Looks like rock going through its initial phases of coloring up. Unless it starts getting fuzzy I wouldn't worry about it. Www.reefcleaners.org is a great place to get your CUC.

As a differing opinion, turbo snails are awesome. I've had 4 of them in my 75g since it started. They're the size of raquetballs now and never knock frags off the rocks.

Thank you I currently have 5 hermits and 2 turbo snails that I added in the beginning they seem to keep busy and I've seen them on the rock work and no change to this algae. I also saw you reccomend reefcleaners on a different post awhile back. Not sure if I want one of his packages or individuals though. How do you feel about the ceriths

Ceriths/nerites/nassarius form his packages and they all play vital roles in my opinion. Any other CUC is just filler and aesthetic fluff. They might fill niches, but those 3 snails are the backbone. Hermits are good too. Honestly I can't say enough good things about that site. Just order a slightly smaller pack than your tank size. Those are intended for a full on algae outbreak. He also packs extras.

Another big suggestion I have if you have a sand bed is tiger conches.  Neat little guys that root around in the sand.  They have these little eyeball stalks that they're always watching you with.  Some of my favorite reef life, strangely.  I always keep a lot of weird CUC though. I really like inverts.

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1

I have two giant turbo snails (aka bulldozers lol) free if you want them! My tank is FULL of frags that aren't glued down so they will knock them over, but they are AWESOME at keeping things tidy. I've had them for 3 years and they're easily the width of a pop can. Let me know if you want them! I'm located in the forest grove area but drive through the Beaverton Tigard area some mornings and can meet 1adb67fdd4c03e921c92fa65ca30535a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G360AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 1