Weird experience

mattv

Thought I would share a bizarre experience I had last night. Now I have fragged more than my fair share of sps corals over the years and what I encountered last night had me perplexed.

The coral in question was a wild collected piece that hasn't been in my possession for very long and I wanted to split it and make a couple frags.

I started with bone cutters then took the fragments to the saw to make a clean cut.

I noticed immediately after cutting the first fragment from the colony that it had these bizarre red spots in the main part of the hard skeleton. 1st thought was retracted polyps? Then I said it couldn't be, they where to deep in the skeleton. After smoothing out the cuts with the saw I set them in a tub to rinse off and went about my business cleaning up the saw.

When I returned to the frags I notice what looks like drops of blood accumulating around the water line of the container, at this point I'm in the [language filter] stage. An acro that bleeds?? Sent pics off to a friend and after some discussion we are pretty sure we know what was going on. There is only one spot visible in the pic of the cut but there was many more before I snapped out of my disbelief and grabbed the camera. Remember none of this is on the body but actually in the skeleton.