pH and Alkalinity?

Big Whisky

I know these are related, but are separate measurements. Is there an easy formula for determining your alkalinity based on your pH readings?

Thanks,

-Breck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think so, just because you also have to know Co2 levels as they affect PH so dramatically.  

I am sure Randy Holmes Farley covers it somewhere (RHF) in his many articles though.  

I surely am not a chemist, I don't even pretend to be one on the internet!   :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know these are related, but are separate measurements. Is there an easy formula for determining your alkalinity based on your pH readings?

Thanks,

-Breck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish. It would make all of our lives a lot simpler.

There are a lot of factors that affect pH and as Baroose_Le said there is no direct relationship. I would believe even that planted tank table would be way off with saltwater having such high concentrations of varying ions from tank to tank.

I'd probably decide on the level of accuracy you want and go find a test kit to match. The cheaper ones (no titration kit) are less accurate and the higher the price tag the more accuracy you'll get. Edit: Commonly.