Sponsor Spotlight !! Cuttle Fish and Corals

Emerald525

It is with great pleasure that i introduce Cuttle Fish and Corals as our next sponsor spotlight!! :clap:

Owner: Jeff Slemp

6CC999FF-9A6B-4A38-BC56-0ECD863DDCE1_zps

Address: 6363 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland, OR 97239

Phone: (971) 302-1347

Store hours:

Monday thru Friday 12-7pm

Saturday 11-6

Sunday 11-5

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cuttlefishandcorals/?pnref=lhc

2074D16F-1DD6-4436-966B-421B49B90F91_zps

107D5DE1-9FF7-4E3A-890E-B2417CBB2CAF_zps

I met Jeff when he moved back to Portland from Colorado and came over to buy corals from me. I liked him immediately and he always had that great smile and infectious enthusiasm for the hobby! Not only do I consider Jeff a great store owner but like many of you, I consider him a friend and fellow hobbyist.

Going to his store feels like you are stopping by a friend's home to hang out, just on a bigger scale! Heck he even has that great couch in his new store !

981B95AB-FC1D-42E4-A7DB-E6CA9220416D_zps

How long have you been in the hobby?

I’ve been in the hobby for twenty years. I had freshwater tanks since the young age of five. My childhood memories are of a store in Eugene called Little Ocean. I would spend a substantial amount of time there thinking how cool it would be to have a saltwater tank. After years of coveting such a tank, I finally got my first saltwater tank when I was eighteen years old. I bought a twenty-nine gallon "saltwater kit" from Petco for one hundred and ninety-nine dollars that claimed to have everything you need. It was a great learning experience and spent many hours at Soutas’ saltwater store back when he had his garage shop. The kit made me realize that I was only scraping the surface of the hobby and the depth of my passion for saltwater aquariums.

What got you interested in getting in the business?

I spent six years in Denver running a large saltwater maintenance company, Ocean Apart. This company serviced hundreds of tanks in Denver and the surrounding areas. I serviced tanks ranging from 20 gallons to 22,000 gallon tanks. I had a blast doing it. I always planned on moving back to Oregon, and when an opportunity presented itself, I jumped on it. I started small and focused on quality over quantity and excellent customer service. We find pure joy in the incredible diversity that the world's oceans have to offer. Our goal is to be able to pass on this experience to our customers.

I really love this hobby and am very passionate about my business. I love getting in something I’ve never seen before, and I learn new things every day. Just this past week, I got captive-bred blue tangs.

What other hobbies do you have outside of reefing?

I love to scuba dive. Being able to see the creatures that I love so much in their natural habitat is an irreplaceable experience. Skiing and golf are both things I love and wish I could do more. I’m a foodie at heart— always enjoy going out to a great meal. But my favorite thing to do is spend time with my family. My son is now three and one-half and a blast to be around.

What is something you would like people to know about your store?

Cuttle Fish and Corals always strives to be a little different than your average aquarium store. We try and make sure the entire purchasing experience – from visiting the store to setting up your aquarium – is great for everyone. Cuttle Fish and Corals truly cares about its customers and really wants each person to leave satisfied. The best part of our business is sharing the knowledge, passion, and enjoyment of the fascinating marine world with our customers.

Thanks Jeff for your thoughtful replies. I think most of you on here have been to his store but if you haven't you should definitely check it out! You are guaranteed to find some nice corals and fish at a reasonable price and more than likely will see some fellow forum members there. I always do!

11D53571-6CCF-467D-AC25-AAC157FFBEF2_zps

38A6BCD8-0111-46A6-BBE4-9A0821FA855B_zps

B28FA309-BA02-41A5-B9C5-D862589C6048_zps

• Like 7

Awesome write up! It's nice to "get to know" Jeff. I was able to visit the new shop for the first time this weekend. It has such a relaxed feel and the stock is amazing. I could look for hours! All the staff are knowledgeable and Jeff never makes me feel inadequate for asking "newbie" questions [emoji8]. It's like everyone there is simply inviting us over to hang out and talk salt water [emoji847] much love and respect for the Cuttle Fish crew [emoji177][emoji177]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

C&C is a great shop with wonderful livestock and a really welcoming atmosphere.  Jeff and all the crew (Robyn, Jorge, etc.) are really helpful and patient. Have been going to the shop since it opened even though I didn't have a tank up and running until the last few months... and they never threatened to kick me out for wasting their time  :D The new location is really convenient, spacious and full of light and the display setup is innovative and efficient. Glad to see the shop and crew getting some well deserved props.  Also - congrats on the 4th anniversary!

• Like 2

I love Cuttlefish and Corals, Love Jeff and the crew.  Love the coral selection, the knowledge shared, the good deals.  Love the chance to trade fish and coral, that is a huge part of the hobby that is so appealing.  It is in honor to have you in the spotlight this month!

Little Ocean!!?  I used to go there in the mid 80s!  Picked up my Wattley's Turquoise Discus back in the day and had to go back every week to buy blackworms.  That was back when I was dreaming of being an icthyologist like Axelrod and Innes and studying their books cover to cover.

• Like 4

Cuttle Fish is my home-away-from-home.  There is always something new to look at, someone fun to talk to, and something interesting to learn.  The store is amazing, with eight different frag tanks, each with a different vibe.  The fish system is huge with a wide variety of fish.  The display tanks are always changing with different aquascapes and livestock on display.

My favorite thing about Cuttle Fish is the people.  Jeff is a stand-up guy--friendly, knowledgable, and clearly loves his job.  Even though he's been into saltwater for many years, I can attest to how excited he gets whenever a new order arrives.  I count him among my best friends.  I have to give props to him for picking such great people to work at Cuttle Fish.  Robyn (aka The Fish Wrangler) is organized, efficient, and sort of a bad-[language filter]--a fact that I am reminded of whenever she loads a box of salt in my car.  Jorge is knowledgeable, helpful, kind, and fun to talk to.  He gives honest opinions and advice when asked, but is very unassuming.  Shane is back and I'm looking forward to hanging with him.  If I'm lucky I get to see JR and Chris when they're working.

Last but not least is the fun I have meeting and hanging out with other saltwater nuts.  I almost always see someone I know and the store's atmosphere makes it a comfortable place to shop and socialize at the same time.

One more thing--Jeff is a great supporter of the club.  He has hosted meetings, donated many items at cost for Tanks for Teachers and raffles, and I've heard him twice in the last week give customers info on the forum.  Anyway, if you haven't been to Cuttle Fish, you need to go.  If you have been to Cuttle Fish, you need to go again.  Hopefully I'll see you there!

• Like 3