Blue star wrasse hiding

Lovesalt

Wrasses can be particularly shy which is why many people use acclimation boxes on them as they can disappear for a while.  I had a fairy wrasse that finally showed itself after 2 weeks. I thought he had died.  I don't have any tricks for drawing it out but my guess is one of the other fish is picking on it.

It's always hard being the new guy. If you have a bully of a fish I there removing that fish may help but other than that once they are hiding under the sand in your open system, I have personally not had much luck coaxing them out.

• Like 1

My experience is similar to Kim's.  My most recent leopard wrasse (also a blue star) disappeared for a day or so but then came out on his own and has been a regular at mealtime ever since. I did have a fairy wrasse once that literally was a no show for over a month then, one day, decided to come out and act like everything was normal.  No real trick that I have found other than just wait them out - not very helpful I realize.  Good news is, I bet there is a good chance it is still alive.

• Like 2

Earlier in my tanks life I tried a leopard wrasse and he disappeared for about two weeks.  He then came out for about a full day and was subsequently never seen again.  They can be pretty finicky regarding other fish.  At the time I had a very dominant flame angel that was my most likely culprit. 

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 2

Jet lag...????

Seriously though, most wrasses (especially leopards) take time to get used to the time difference when new. I don't know if there is any scientific proof that it affects them or not but every one I have kept has had to adjust to my tank schedule.

• Like 1

Jet lag...

Seriously though, most wrasses (especially leopards) take time to get used to the time difference when new. I don't know if there is any scientific proof that it affects them or not but every one I have kept has had to adjust to my tank schedule.

This is an interesting idea. I wonder if anyone has actually looked at it.

• 2 weeks later...

How long have you had it? What other fish do you have and what size tank? I have two leopards and they will disappear in the sand for a day or two with no concern. Sometimes these fish never really get use to captivity and never reappear. I have had three die once introduced into my tank.