Salt mix preferences?

albertareef

Hi all,

Finally got the 125 wet and am gearing up to make its inaugural batch of salt water so thought I would see if anyone has a favorite mix and why. It will (ultimately) be a mixed reef with SPS. I searched the archives but didn't see anything recent on this topic so thought it might be worth a post... sorry if I missed something.

When digging through my leftovers from the prior system, I discovered half a full container of Pacific Coast Marine salt - which reminded me of how long it's been since my prior tank was up and running and how long it's been since I bought salt!  I am guessing, like everything else, things have changed substantially since then  :)

Let me know if you have any recommendations and thanks in advance!

Hi Sean great to hear you're getting your tank filled! I too use Coral Pro. My desired levels are 10dKh, 450 calcium and 1440 mag. I do biweekly water changes and this mix puts my levels right under where I want them. I still have a drip system with BRS 2 part that drips slowly every day to keep my levels at this point.

To answer your question, no. I've not experienced that high of alkalinity.

Hi Sean great to hear you're getting your tank filled! I too use Coral Pro. My desired levels are 10dKh, 450 calcium and 1440 mag. I do biweekly water changes and this mix puts my levels right under where I want them. I still have a drip system with BRS 2 part that drips slowly every day to keep my levels at this point.

To answer your question, no. I've not experienced that high of alkalinity.

Thanks for the info! Good to see some "real world" numbers attached to these mixes. I plan to run my Ca reactor to keep some of the levels up Anxious to get up and running finally!

Free shipping if you have a prime account:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-ARE11230-Aquarium-175-Gallon/dp/B000YJ2XCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477423822&sr=8-1&keywords=red+sea+coral+pro+salt

Best deal I've been able to find on it.

edit: Oh local, derp.  Sorry, definitely not local but perhaps cheaper.

Edited by youcallmenny

I stared with kent. I was really inconsistent. Then I went to red sea pro. I didn't need the alk to be that high when I did water changes. I am now trying brightwell salt. Although my tank crashed before I could use it so I don't know yet.

sent from a Samsung note 4

Red Sea coral pro here too! Make sure to get the blue bucket. Numbers are closer to NSW.

I've used [language filter] near every salt on the market except for the over seas brands and have been happy with all of them.

H2ocean and red sea coral pro are what I have been using in the last few years. They seem very consistent with #'s when I feel like testing.

I have been using HW salt from BRS for about 4 months now and am very happy with it. I used to use Tropic Marin and I was happy with it but wanted to try something new.

I have used a bucket or two of red sea, both regular and pro. I found that it made my mixing container dirty. Tropic Marin and HW mix very clean

I would also like to add that when I used "pro" versions I had a harder time keeping my levels consistent.