Clam advice for a Golden Teardrop Maxima

AcanLord

I just got a 2.5" Golden Teardrop Maxima clam for a smoking deal on a trade for some coral that I got for free. I figured what better time to get a clam than when it's free right? It's in my 20L and the light admittedly isn't very bright. I'd be shocked if it was over 150par but it also get direct sunlight for a couple hours a day. I've had it two days and it looks nice and happy. It's on a small flat rock but I read that they like to be kind of buried in the rocks a little. Any advice is welcome. I got phytoplankton for it. I have a bigger tank that has better lighting that it might do better in but that tank has 2 shrimp and 3 different crabs and hermits. Plus a coral beauty that likes to test all new coral and livestock of any kind with a couple nips. I'm afraid the CB would attack it and the crabs would finish it off. Any advice on that would be helpful. I'm all for getting rid on the CB but I just need to catch him first. He's a jerk. Attacks everyone that's not bigger than him and nips at coral when it's new. After a day he leaves it alone. a3fd3e356157ccdfb0e52da8483a44a8.jpghttps://vimeo.com/187909141

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are your lights any brighter than a standard reef tank? I feel like mainstream youtubers and such make a bigger deal out of most things than they should. I've seen a lot of things done that I've read would kill your system and they're done all the time in thriving tanks. Not to say you can be all Willy nilly, but I think keeping clean water and nice lighting and no predators is really the key to a happy clam.

I've got 3 maximas and a derasa.  As long as the lights are bright enough to grow coral you're covered there.  I keep them all on the sand bed except for my gold/silver maxima who latched his foot onto a large conch shell that was hiding under the sand.  I wedged that shell into my rocks where he can't possibly fall and he's been happy ever since.

As far as water quality, the only thing I've ever managed to do that made them unhappy was switched from carbon in my reactor to gfo.  All the clams sealed right up and didn't open again until I switched back to carbon.  I feed phyto 2x/week which they seem to enjoy.  I was super hesitant at first to get a clam because of all the fuss people raise about them.  Honestly they've been easier to deal with than most coral and they have the added benefit of being natural water filters.  I keep ~140g total volume though so there's a bit of a size difference.  Feeding as much as I do in a smaller tank could cause algae problems.  

Your maxima is very pretty!  Enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea with the trachy skeleton.  For your own viewing pleasure, you can bury that skeleton under the sand and put the clam on top of it.  They can and will dig their feet down several inches to reach something stable.  Just remember, once Maximas attach that byssal plate it is permanent.  

\/\/\/\/

Lol, I just kind of assumed that I guess.

Edited by youcallmenny

Glad everything seems to be going well. Have you checked out pics of the Tear drop clam? They look different then the image you posted. It looks like yours is a Maxima and not a Tear Drop (Tridacna Noae). Just an observation though...

As far as I know, Teardrops are Maximas. That's what I was told it was when I got it and that's what they're listed as on quite a few websites. There's also a website that says they're extinct.

As far as I know, Teardrops are Maximas. That's what I was told it was when I got it and that's what they're listed as on quite a few websites. There's also a website that says they're extinct.

boy that website is wrong about being extinct, i found plenty of tear drop maximas when i was in Tonga this year

Here is a nice one i found

20160607_154027_zpsn7zdknnq.jpg

Edited by stylaster

boy that website is wrong about being extinct, i found plenty of tear drop maximas when i was in Tonga this year

Here is a nice one i found

20160607_154027_zpsn7zdknnq.jpg

They were wrongly called Tear Drop Maximas for a long time. However, in 2014 Tear Drops, were actually reclassified as a different species than Maximas. They are Tridacna Noae, compared to the Maxima which is Tridacna Maxima.

Reefs are so crazy and diverse. As soon as we think we understand something, we understand that we do not understand it.

Here's a good read:

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/11/17/tridacna-noae-teardrop-maxima-clam/

Edited by Higher Thinking
  • Like 1

Wellsophyllia says what? :p

Good reading!

Is anyone else getting frustrated with Tapatalk? It constantly crashes and when you click an article, it pulls up another random article that has nothing to do with what you want. I tried posting about some Favia frags I'll be making but as soon as I type in the subject line, the app crashes. I'm shocked it's let me write this whole message out.