Sea Side Aquatics Bubble Magnus Warranty - BEWARE!

shaywood

Many of us in the reefing community are willing to spend an extra dollar for quality products and service.  I thought I was doing this when I purchased a Bubble Magnus Curve 7 skimmer. Unfortunately, I have been one of the rare cases where I have a defective pump that goes out intermittently. 

I recently contacted the distributor, Sea Side Aquatics who quickly replied and asked me to send my receipt.  Having purchased the skimmer from a local fish store, I had the skimmer, but it only had the total amount listed on the receipt.  Sea Side sent an email stating, "After carefully inspected your receipt unfortunately the 3 you sent were not acceptable, we would require a copy of the receipt that show the purchase of a "curve 7 skimmer." The ones you sent doesn't show anything but the amount."   

Also, Sea Side said, "Please note it's the customer responsibility to send the pump back to us for inspection and confirm the issue.".  Of course, for many of us this isn't possible because we need the pump/skimmer to be running. I asked if they would send a replacement so I could return the defective item. They said no.  I guess I'm getting to spoiled by Amazon's (and other companies) return and exchange policies. 

In my opinion, Sea Side (Bubble Magnus) is demonstrating very poor customer service.  Reefers are willing to pay a premium price for quality products and service, but Sea Side is making every effort to ignore the warranty on this product.

Just my 2 cents.

Shawn

To be honest with you I don't consider bubble magnus top quality equipment. Their stuff looks like cheap replicas of higher end equipment. If you're ever unsure of which piece of equipment to choose you can always ask for advice beforehand. Sorry about your situation though.

To be honest with you I don't consider bubble magnus top quality equipment. Their stuff looks like cheap replicas of higher end equipment. If you're ever unsure of which piece of equipment to choose you can always ask for advice beforehand. Sorry about your situation though.

I would have to agree. I too feel for your situation though. Been there, done that. The amount of money I wasted in the beginning is staggering. If you would have shown me the figure I would be spending I may not have ever got into this in the first place.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would say they could do things better that's for sure, but there are not many companies that I know of that will ship a replacement pump before they inspect the pump with the issue. Especially in this hobby. I had to send my Vortech in, had to go back and fourth with reeflo as well.

I managed a stereo shop for a long time and we required all of the same things sea side is requiring. It definitely sucks that you will be out of a skimmer but honestly your system will likely be totally fine if you just up your water changes until it's back

Upscales sells replacement pumps too if you need one specifically for those skimmers.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I would be buying your Equipment from another source thats for sure. I have not bought equipment from local dealers in years aside from a couple things here or there regardless of "Supporting your local business" Its hard to stomach shelling out the money for something just to see it everywhere online for a lot less, just makes you bitter in the end. Amazon has an awesome policy and my experiences with BulkReefSupply over the years has been great as well, they even do RMA's on certain occasions and I know that they have great internal warranty support for the Skimz Line.

Sorry you had to go through this headache with a skimmer, but really the only thing to do now is not risk the b.s. with their company again find another source, also keep an eye out on the forums for a used decent skimmer like a reef octopus to keep in a closet in case of an emergency.

Very sorry to hear about your situation. Maybe a thought you could try is to borrow a skimmer until yours can be repaired or replaced. I have borrowed skimmers in the past and know that many of the good peeps here on this forumn woukd be glad to help if they can. So if one of you is reading this and have one to spare maybe you can help out! Good luck and hope it gets resolved

• Like 1