Thinking about adding a Wrasse. Inputs?

katarian

My wife and I are thinking about adding a new fish to our 55 gallon tank. Right now we have 1 chromis, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, 2 peppermint Shrimp, a RBTA, and some CUC. And some softies.

We were thinking about some sort of wrasse, something that's not aggressive. One of the reasons we were thinking about Wrasse is because they eat pests, including bristle worm (I just have a huge population of them inside the tank, some of them are around 10inch long, and need something that will keep their population in check and not just completely eradicate them.

But we are pretty open about other fishes too. So I'd love to get some input from you all experienced reefers.

And something on the cheaper side please. Maybe around $30 at most. I'm not risking buying something expensive right now that might end up dying, as the tank is pretty new.

Thank you :)

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Melanarus Wrasse. It's quite possibly the very best fish one can own. Fantastic pest control, zero aggression, unlike the 6 line that a majority of people love.

It is beautiful.

I just read they usually go after crabs and other invertebrates. Is that a fact?

Tangs get really big. and I'm trying to stick to fish that don't get too big.

My tank isn't really big enough for tangs so I buy them small.... Like super small, ask Travis. Anyway, when they get medium sized I give them away or try and trade them for small ones. I can bet at least a few of you have bought tangs from LFS's that grew up in my tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My tank isn't really big enough for tangs so I buy them small.... Like super small, ask Travis. Anyway, when they get medium sized I give them away or try and trade them for small ones. I can bet at least a few of you have bought tangs from LFS's that grew up in my tank.

Yeah, that's one option. :) but aren't they really aggressive?

My experience with these fish and other wrasses alike is they're more than likely not gonna go after large bristle worms like your 10" ones. If you're looking to reduce the bristle worm population I recommend you remove as many as you can manually (tongs) and add an arrow crab to keep them in check. Also melanurus and halichores are opportunistic and will go after flipped over snails. GL with whichever method you choose!

• Like 2

My experience with these fish and other wrasses alike is they're more than likely not gonna go after large bristle worms like your 10" ones. If you're looking to reduce the bristle worm population I recommend you remove as many as you can manually (tongs) and add an arrow crab to keep them in check. Also melanurus and halichores are opportunistic and will go after flipped over snails. GL with whichever method you choose!

This is kinda true for me. I will admit I quickly flip over a snail if I see it upside down, and usually I am brushing my wrasse away the whole time.... While being jumped by my [language filter] clowns who bite the....nevermind.

But at the same time one of my favorite pastimes is grabbing a bristle worm with tongs and releasing it halfway up the tank and watching the wrasse snag it before it ever touches sand again.

I do not, and I repeat, DO NOT hunt for worms.... I actually want the small ones in my tank as I believe we all should. But if they make themselves an easy target I will feed it to the wrasse. Just like spiders.... I don't touch them outside.... I'm in their house, but come inside and it's death on sight. And violently, with squirms and shivers galore

• Like 2

This is kinda true for me. I will admit I quickly flip over a snail if I see it upside down, and usually I am brushing my wrasse away the whole time.... While being jumped by my [language filter] clowns who bite the....nevermind.

But at the same time one of my favorite pastimes is grabbing a bristle worm with tongs and releasing it halfway up the tank and watching the wrasse snag it before it ever touches sand again.

I do not, and I repeat, DO NOT hunt for worms.... I actually want the small ones in my tank as I believe we all should. But if they make themselves an easy target I will feed it to the wrasse. Just like spiders.... I don't touch them outside.... I'm in their house, but come inside and it's death on sight. And violently, with squirms and shivers galore

Haha you're hilarious! Lol

So what's a good place to buy that wrasse from?

I was actually thinking about an arrow crab, but I read so many negative things about them. So not sure if I want to go that route.

I was actually thinking about an arrow crab, but I read so many negative things about them. So not sure if I want to go that route.

The wrasse will most likely eat an arrow crab... and quick. I have been lucky since it appears about half of the Melenarus wrasses out there are crab killers but I myself have never had one.

Meaning get the crab first and let him do his job, then get him out and get the wrasse.... Or leave it in and expect the wrasse to eat it at some point

Edited by Fragged
  • Like 1

The wrasse will most likely eat an arrow crab... and quick. I have been lucky since it appears about half of the Melenarus wrasses out there are crab killers but I myself have never had one.

Meaning get the crab first and let him do his job, then get him out and get the wrasse.... Or leave it in and expect the wrasse to eat it at some point

What's a good place to get wrasse from?

Yeah, that's one option. :) but aren't they really aggressive?

Tangs? Not that I've seen. I mean they school so I imagine they could get aggressive when in a pack but I've never seen an aggressive tang. Not in my tank anyway. But I've only had purple, yellow, hippo, and whatever this one is I got 2 days ago

• Like 1

Tangs? Not that I've seen. I mean they school so I imagine they could get aggressive when in a pack but I've never seen an aggressive tang. Not in my tank anyway. But I've only had purple, yellow, hippo, and whatever this one is I got 2 days ago

Oh okay. :) well then maybe a tang will be my next fish

What's a good place to get wrasse from?

Well... Pm me if you want a female or a pair. I got a pair last time and am extremely happy. If it's just a male... Well pm me again or Upscales. I only say pm to not offend any sponsors by rival promotion

• Like 1

Well... Pm me if you want a female or a pair. I got a pair last time and am extremely happy. If it's just a male... Well pm me again or Upscales. I only say pm to not offend any sponsors by rival promotion

Aah, I had no idea you're a seller too :)

Sending you a pm now