Sign in to follow this  
badxgillen

September 2016 Calcium Reactor introduction Pictures

For those of you who were not able to make it the PNWMAS September meeting this year was held at one of our club members homes Higher Thinking. Andrew and his wife Lauren purchased the house recently and opened their doors to our group for a very nice meet and greet shindig.

SAM_4060_zpsilngpagp.jpg

Right inside you walk right past a very nice fresh water planted tank. He gave a run down on how to keep an attractive shrimp aquarium, wich is also something he knows quite a bit about, I didn't get any close ups of this particular tank but I did get some shots of the others.

SAM_4003_zpsdomssdyr.jpg

Once you walk past the fresh water tank you are just hit by this large reef just glittering in the middle of the room. YES!!! Are those Radions I see? Nice canopy, it looks pretty slick in person.

SAM_4067_zpsmxi6r98q.jpg

Higher Thinking even cleared some space right next to his tank for our cub frag tank. My good friend Miles and I got the trade tank going on for some coral exchange.

SAM_4068_zps6zhg9hiy.jpg

A very healthy spread of food was layed out before we had even gotten their by our generous hosts. Mac and cheese, sweet cornbread, 3 kinds of delicious pulled pork, Sirena's killer tortellini pasta salad, and 

Check

This

Out!

SAM_4081_zpspm8zbwjr.jpg

FISH CUPCAKES!

SAM_4082_zpsiduv7bzb.jpg

CORAL CUPCAKES!!!

SAM_4080_zpsdqc7fuqa.jpg

With OUR Name on them! Very Cool Lauren and Andrew, Very Cool.

SAM_4101_zps9orgazam.jpg

Not only that but Andrew offered up his knowledge and time to give us all a refresher course on Calcium reactors. Conveniently he has it plumbed underneath his house were it resides in a separate closet that happens to be adjacent to were the meeting was taking place. 

SAM_4119_zps3kuky3yi.jpg

He did very well at the presentation, ran through all the basics, got into some of the technicalities, answered questions, and with some input form Bicycle Bill pointed out some tricks of the trade as well as thoughts on some reactor maintenance. Thank You Andrew, you did well.

SAM_4077_zpsvbn6yzko.jpg

AND let us not forget about the Big Raffle that went on. So many generous sponsors this year! In the pot at this September meeting were... Rod's Frozen Foods, The Premium Aquarium, Upscales, Avast Marine Works, Sea Horse Supply, Ocean In A Box, Barrier Reef, and the Golden Basket! 

Not only that but there was tons of cool reef stuffs brought such as bags, buttons, hats, and various sample products from test kits to coral dips. Thank you Holly and Kim!

Kim even brought the Club T-Shirts for our members to grab one before we revamp the style...So much good stuff in one place.

• Like 4

ANd as you know its not a meeting without people yeah.

SAM_4000_zpslhp6fxbo.jpg

We had Mr. Bret in the House. He made up some of the nicest festive raffle tickets I have ever had. They brought me much luck as I won the TPA certificate that I was able to spend on my way home, Thanks Bret.

SAM_4034_zpsa8arqdrk.jpg\

Bicycle Bill, whats in the bin!? Why coral of coarse. Always good to talk with Bill here. He knows a thing or two about reef tanks and has some pretty nice SPS colonies in his 90. He shared a quite a bit of Montipora today and I aim to pay that forward here very soon. Thanks Bill.

SAM_4041_zps1ilun0rg.jpg

Daniel and Joshua showed up right after us. Daniel with his new Reefi light in hand, a pretty killer product that he is more than happy to demonstrate. And Josh I didn't notice Bruce was DJing until I looked at the pictures later on, I dig it man, love the shirt.

SAM_4085_zpsa4eknaka.jpg

Karen our TFT Coordinator and Vance, both not too far off from home I believe. The meeting was in Scapoose so a bit more north than the usual Portland or Salem venues. Good to see you both. Hey Karen, maybe you can get a started shrimp culture form Andrew and keep em in a 2 gallon desktop tank? Pretty cool right? And Vance, your only a couple months off from getting the tank rolling, when you do hit me up...I will just be chillin in Corvallis as I am going nowhere fast.

SAM_4095_zpsimydm1rm.jpg

Lauren, one of the hosts, was very gracious and accepting of our foot traffic and geeked out conversations. Thanks for putting up with all of us in your home, everything was wonderful and much appreciated. Hope we were not too much of a burden.

SAM_4129_zpszfrqaywp.jpg

Our President herself, Emerald handing out the raffle prizes. She ended up with a winning ticket too! And she deserves it, she has always bee such a generous person. Keep up the good work Prez, shine on.

SAM_4088_zpsutrd2raa.jpg

Holly and Bret getting the raffle show on the road, another shining example of good board members. Thanks for what you all do for our team, it takes alot of gears to make the system run smoothly.

SAM_4135_zpsm7ubudsu.jpg

Sirena here in a group shot, I have to give here a shout out too as I know she does some behind the scenes work as well...And that was one bomb pasta salad.

Andrew, Lauren...It was a Great meeting thanks to you two opening up your home. We all appreciate it very much. Glad you are part of our group here.

Reef On my friends, Reef On!

• Like 4

It was really fun doing my part on this event! I have a lot of thank yous to issue as well. Thanks to Robert and Miles for setting up and tearing down the frag tank (they were like a pit crew at a race track, lightning fast and efficient).  Thanks also to Robert for the generous coral frag pack. Like I said in the meeting, if people want to venture to Corvallis, Robert is great person to buy coral from. Huge selection and always generous with his deals.  Thanks to Bicycle Bill for the monti hook up as well as jumping in on the calcium reactor talk. It was nice to have some backup to bring additional insight and reinforce points.  Thanks to Kim, Holly, Bret and the rest of the board for putting this together.  And thanks to Robyn and Chris for bringing me a nice acro pack and hanging out the whole evening.  It was good to catch up with you two!! It's been too long!  And thanks to everyone for making it out to my place, it was a blast!

Edited by Higher Thinking
  • Like 2

So bummed I missed it.  Lots of good people, good talk, good prizes and a super host.  Looks like allot of fun, thanks for sharing the pics!

Thanks as always for the pictures and commentary!!

You and Miles also did an incredible job setting up and breaking down the frag tank! You 2 are pros !!!

Thanks Holly and Bret for always being present to help out!!

Thanks Andrew for opening up your home! Loved your dog too and great saltwater and planted tanks! You really know what you are talking about !!

Bicyclebill also was a wealth of information !

Thanks Lauren for the great cupcakes!!

• Like 3

Awesome write up Bert, as always! That was really fun, and I'm glad I got off my butt and ventured out to hang with my reef peeps after a bit of a hiatus. Thanks to everyone that made it happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By badxgillen
      As usual PNWMAS had an outstanding monthly meeting. Just In case you were not there or aware, this month one of our old school members that you all know as Stylaster opened up his home for the February 2018 gathering. Not only did he host the meet but he also put on a coral fragging demonstration for the club of two very different corals, a chalice and an acropora. But before I dive into the demo we should take a look at things from a proper order.
      Due to the distance and a couple small accidents causing traffic Miles and I were a tad late to the party, but its cool. The demo had yet to begin, people were just getting social,

raffle tickets were getting sold,

and there was plenty of shrimp on the platters for me to "sample".

I have to give some credit to the hosts offerings and all who brought a food item,  the appetizers put out were very tasty and much appreciated. So Yummy.
      After making some quick greetings I made my way around to snap some pictures of Stylaster's main tank, and let me tell you, shes a beauty thats for sure.

Such nice dimensions and such clear acrylic, not sure how he keeps all that coraline algae at bay without scratching it all these years but he does and it is crisp! 

The dimensions make it necessary to take this shot in at least 3 parts. Each side being just as in depth and diverse as the other.

These fish are really lucky to have made it into Roy's tank, they got it made in there.
      Once I got a number of pics of the display I made a dash to the garage...That is were the reefers were aggregating at, and I know why. This thing is a straight operation!

Pacific Corals Is In The HOUSE!!!

Actually I am in the house of Pacific Corals but you know, I just wanted to raise the roof on this one.

Who wants some Corals!? Roy has got a Plethera hiding out in his frag tanks, a straight treasure trove i'm tellin ya.

Better get those bone cutters out man, I am gonna need my Acro fix after seeing these colors pop.But I suppose thats enough of the marine systems for now, I will move onto some of the Human members who attended...Sorry Princeton and Max.

OH SHOOT!!! The Frag Demo is about to begin.

Gather round to see what Roy has in store for us. The club funded the purchase of two colonies for the meet with everyone attending getting one of each coral cut during the demonstration. How Freaking Cool is That!? Great idea Roy!

Here are the pieces half cut, getting ready for their turn under the saw for division amongst the club. An interesting Chalice here with UFO ringed eyes And...

This Crazy green tabling Acropora, I swear I saw something very similar at The Premium Aquarium a couple weeks ago. Good Stuff right here.

Love this shot. Both of these guys are veterans to the reef hobby but Roy, right, being the owner of Pacific Corals was leading the demo for us today. And Roy is going to show us how its done!

For the chalice he used an Inland diamond bladed band saw to make short work of the plating coral. Just so oyu know Inlands do not normally have that nifty light unit attached tot he side, that is Roy's idea...That I am going to use. Love the little improvements and tricks each ingenuitive reefer has to develop.

You cannot tell by the picture but the band saw allows for very precise cuts even curved slices are able to be made. Something you can see in this picture though is to the bottom right is a HUGE thing of super glue. So many frags..

The acropora got its turn in the spotlight as well, Roy payed a special amount of attention here as some of the branches overlap making it harder to get the proper cuts.

Right after the Chop! The fresh frags go into a bit of tank water with a few drops of Lugols Iodine in it, this helps prevent infection to the damaged tissue.

These Bad Boys are now ready to be glued down or simply placed in the aquarium now to heal up. The whole process is actually rather quick, especially on a band saw.
      As usual it was super fun getting to see many familiar faces and a couple new ones from the North.

The Clark here, he is kinda like super man, though he won't admit it. He is one of our IT Tech guys along with the Chief. He keeps the forum purring like a kitten, whenever there is trouble Clark and Chief are on the case. Good seeing you man, I am always glad to see you at a meeting. You always have some good ideas about reefer related equipment and have been a generous guy all around. Weather is warming up again so maybe we can work something out again ship wise. Oh, and I will be moving some GI Joes up in the tank for some higher PAR...Gonna BLAST em and see if I can get the effects you were talking about.

OptimusPrime, I didn't know you were getting into SPS. I could have brought you some frags just to try out in your tank. If you ever have too much problem with some of your zoas trying to mess with your acro base feed em a little bit of kalkwasser paste and they will go away right quick. In coral wars someone always loses, it is neveer fun but sometimes you have to pick a side. I will also see about getting you a frag of the Chongs Bongs and something else different. Looking forward to seeing your tank in the near future man.

Got to formally meet Lewisfisherman, left under the 460 nanometer LEDs. Hope you like the frags I brought over, the zoas are bright and beautiful and so is the yuma...But be careful, as that Ricordea will get pretty good size when it is happy and will win many coral to coral confrontations. Hit me up if you need a few more flavors at some point yeah.
      Gumby on the right is another Outstanding member who lends a helping hand when he can in addition to doing a bit of behind the scenes work for the club here and there, he actually helped land the Fragfest Venue for us...What a guy. He is another person who also has some pretty intense corals in his system. With his connects in Washington it is not uncommon for Gumby to have something special on his frag rack.

Here we have Karen, our head of the Tanks For Teachers program and a great member of our PNWMAS BOD. We really didn't get to chat much this time around Karen, sorry about that.Don't forget though, if you want a coral or two for a TFT tank give me a shout out and I will see if I can get something your way. I always have something I can trim back or rehome. And apologies on the photo, I had very few pictures of her this time around so I apologize about the slight blur. Apparently I need to take more pictures, who would have guessed?

Now I know this is a saltwater reefer forum here but I thought that this picture of FlashyFins and the Carissa with their canine kin was too cool to not post up. They were both such well behaved animals...Cherany on the other hand!.. Just kidding, I kid, I kid. FlashyFins , left, does a great job sitting on our PNWMAS Board Of Directors making great use of her abilities in organization and enthusiasm. She did much of the coordination with Roy to make this meeting a success.Thank you Cherany, and thank you Roy and Carissa. 
      Well, instead of being redundant with some of the pictures taken I decide that some of the raffle photos could serve as some "profile" shots as well. 

We had an impressive number of sponsor gift certificates to be had, as well as some killer door prizes given out by Pacific Corals. Upscales!, Barrier Reef!, Pacific Corals!, Seahorse Aquarium!, and some of my favortie frozen foods Rod's fish food!

Some of the ORA posters were Great! I scored one for myself but there were so many kinds it was a hard decision on which one to choose. Now I gotta collect a few more and get them laminated, they need to be in a fish room or by an aquarium.

A funny pic here of AlbertaReef far right, enthused about his raffle win! You can practically hear him sayin, YES!!! Middle is The Clark, and Far left is Stylaster. Look at that blue background glow, like our own kind of Party lighting for a reefer atmosphere.

MilesMiles won in the ORA drawing and snagged this Sweet coral poster, way to go Miles! This is another member of our PNWMASS officers always trying to do his part for the team, good man. 

What a good looking bunch right here. Danlu and family made it out to the meeting, as you can see Daniel took home the ORA Tridacnid clam poster. And you can also see that his son doesn't need no regular blue, he wants a nice black and gold striped Maxima. He knows whats up. Always fun to watch the next gen reefers grow up.
      Before I say thank you I have to apologize on not getting everyone picture in here, as well as not having all the raffle shots. I was having some technical difficulties with my camera battery dying and am now ordering a brand new one, I think the existing one is no longer holding a charge. Who knows how many photos I have taken with it though so it is what it is. To those I did not have in here, please forgive me, maybe Cherany or someone else had a few pictures to share with us that will have a different set of faces in it or another vantage point.
      And at last I must say a BIG Thank You to all those who made this possible. Thank you to the Officers of PNWMAS and to the Board Of Directors for keeping this whole Marine Aquarium Society thing running, it is no easy task that no one person could do. All of your selfless participation means everything to the club. So Keep up the good work!
      And a BIG Thank You t the club members to whom without there would be no club at all, thank you all for being who you are, considerate, conscientious and thoughtful reefers. Thats what we all try and promote here.
      Thank you to all that is PNWMAS!

• By Trailermann
      I have been going nuts trying to adjust my bubble count with the Milwaukee MA 957 CO2 regulator.  I set the needle valve for a nice even bubble flow, and then later, I have to open it up more for the same flow.  This went on several weeks as I tried to adjust the effluent flow, the primary and secondary CO2 pressure gauges, and whatever else I could fiddle with, hoping to get a steady bubble flow.  Finally I saw mention of a clogged needle valve and found this instruction:
      MA957 Clogged Needle Valve Repair Procedure
      Over time dirty CO2 gas flowing through the regulator will start to deposit dust and dirt in the small gas line located inside the needle valve. When these deposits become large enough the gas flow becomes restricted and eventually will stop. When you add more gas pressure, forcing the gas pass the inline restriction, the flow will start back but as the backpressure subsides the gas flow and bubble count will also diminish and will again eventually stop. This yo-yo effect causes the operator to apply even more pressure from the large black main regulator knob (Macro adjustment) until the backpressure is so high that the solenoid will not close, even when power to the solenoid is turned off. This high backpressure in the solenoid piston chamber will allow gas to continue to flow through the regulator dropping the pH to 5.5 causing a catastrophic effect on all biological life in a tank. Field repair procedure - Turn the tank off and take the regulator off the tank. Take the bubble counter off the regulator needle valve. Open the needle valve all the way open by turning the knob counter-clockwise until it stops. Use a 1/16” drill and go through the top hole of the needle valve and drill through the base of that hole until you feel the drill pass through into the main chamber. Drill time is only about 2 seconds at full drill speed. Turn the regulator over and tap the needle valve on a table to knock out the drill filings. Remount the regulator. Note: If 1/16” drill is not available then go to next size which is a 5/64” drill bit. 
      Eureka, I found the problem.  So I drilled out the valve and reassembled.  ......Started out fine, but after a short honeymoon, it again slowly shut off the flow of gas.  So either I did the procedure wrong, or something else is wrong.  
      OK, next solution -- install the highly touted CarbonDoser.  Should solve my problems, right?  Not!!!  The used unit I bought for $250 did not work.  No gas flow.  So I put it into a box and sent it into AquariumPlant.com for repair.  Back to manual daily two part dosing.  Crapola, solving our country's immigration challenge would be easier than this.  FYI, I already know the answer to that problem.  
    • By badxgillen
      As requested, a thread starter for a Frag Swap at our February 2018 Meeting at Stylaster's, I used my own previous template, so if it looks familiar...It is.
       Being a meet and greet type of gathering it seems like it would be a good time to get the old coral trades going on.
      If you would like, you can do your trading on the fly by just bringing by a few pieces and hoping that some one will have a desirable coral you want...Or better yet, you can post up what you have to trade and work out a preemptive exchange here on the forums, that method always works best for me. You can feel free to use this thread to post your trade-ables in or start a thread of your own.
      But First, let me get you some of Bert's basis tips for success here.
      1.) make an attempt to have a fragment of reasonable size and health and try and get things cut and ready a few days to a week ahead of time to have the wounds healed up for the exchange. And double/triple check for pest invertebrates or algaes before sending your corals out, we try to keep invasives to a minimum here...And once you get your frags home, just in case, always acclimate the specimens then dip the corals before you put them into your personal aquarium. QT Aquariums are best but good old Revive, Coral RX, Melafix, Iodine, or Bayer will do much better at prevention than nothing.
      2.) Try to package your corals appropriately. This can mean not putting a spiny coral like birds nest into a thin dollar store bag or not utilizing insulation on an extended cold or warm trip. Try a small cooler or Styrofoam. If you can't find either of these and the destination is a long distance, keep the vehicle air conditioned or heated appropriately. As far as packaging goes you can double bag and use thicker mil plastics, or something else like a Tupperware or specimen container. I have even used washed out yogurt or cottage cheese containers that stack well inside the coolers. Just use something that will work, nothing like losing a nice and colorful animal because the bag got too cold and leaked all the water out on the way home.
      3.)Do your best to be courteous and fair to one another by not take advantage of each others ignorance or generosity. These are people of all levels in the hobby so give them the benefit of your knowledge and experience instead of the cold shoulder. And speaking of generosity, that giving nature has always been smiled upon here at PNWMAS and pay it forward tends comes back around these parts.
      Well, the meeting is closing in fast, less than two weeks yeah.
      So Let's see em folks,  Whatcha Got!? Corals that is!
      Personally I have a ton of things I can cut if someone wants to ask for a general type of coral. For now here is a picture of some sweet zoas I have to cut before they attach to something they shouldn't. And I will add some things here once I can go and grab some pictures that don't suck.