Feedback on 10g sump

skarz

I'm interested in setting up a 10g sump under my 29g tank and need some last minute feedback. My main goal since space is so limited is to have a refugium and a filter sock. I doubt I'll have a skimmer as I aim to have a small bioload. How does this look?

2fEX6ms.png

Can you do a 20 gallon high? 10 gallons are very thin glass. Working in them can be hazardous when it comes to adding and removing equipment. They crack easily.

Also something to consider is that small of a pump area is where you will see all your evaporation take effect. It will only take a few cups of water to go from normal level to your pump sucking air. Plan on an auto tipoff?

Just things to consider

• Like 2

Definitely v2 for the refug water height from baffles. V1 would be funky.

If space is REALLY that limited you may have better luck running gfo and biopellets. Seems like a bunch of work and equipment for a blob of algae on a small system. Display refug maybe? I want one again.

Well here is my 2 cents :laugh:  I run a version 2 kind of but have nothing for baffles where the return comes into it. I also do not run a filter sock......Its a fuge and has sand, rock, macro and even a fish in there......so what I feed my main tank also goes into the fuge so why run a sock? Like I said just my 2 cents.......

Just depends a 3 piece bubble trap is better you can set your height for the fuge as high as you want. What are you wanting in the fuge if no sand you could do an under over under bubble trap. Which from.my research of building my sump it was the best way to get the bubbles out. Also much easier to clean.

@vance. I agree a three baffle bubble trap is better, just like a 20 baffle is better. On a ten gallon sump there is simply not enough room for the superior performance of multiple baffles.

With a fuge, there is already no additional bubbles being created. There is not going to be a protein skimmer that needs bubbles to be negated. I do not see the benefit of extra baffles. Extra baffles are taking up space for bubbles that don't exist.

I would suggest comparing gfo and biopellets to a refugium from a performance and aesthetic reference point of view. I absolutely enjoyed a refugium on my past tanks, but it's not on my new tank for maintenance and performance reasons.

If I ever do a refugium again, it will only be as an additional display tank. In my experience a small refugium is more hassle then benefit. Gfo and carbon dosing/biopellets is where it's at.