A fish died

katarian

Hi guys,

So as most of you guys know I'm new to this hobby and just recently started a tank.

A couple of days ago I got a couple of chromis and a clown, and a couple of peppermint shrimps.

One of the chromis wasn't eating and last evening after I tried feeding her, and again she didn't eat anything. We left for a couple of hours and when we got back, she disappeared somewhere.

My wife looked down below the rocks through a crack and she found some big bristle worms crawling down there, and a shrimp. And she was scared to death that the worms were killing the fish, I told her bristle worm wouldn't eat a live fish and the she was okay and just hiding somewhere.

This morning I woke up and still didn't see her anywhere. So I decided to move the rocks around and find out where she was, and didn't find her. At last, I saw her eyes on the sand bed and there she was, half eaten.

So now I have been wondering is if it just died because of stress and not eating, or was it something that killed her, as my wife feared.

Rest of my 2 clowns are doing great, and the other chromis is doing great too.

I'm eagerly waiting for your guy's inputs.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

I'm sorry! I hate when anything dies. But it was probably dead before anything started eating it. I've had many losses that were "cleaned up" by various critters.

Yeah, I hate when something dies. And was trying my best to avoid killing any fish. But oh well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by katarian

I am pretty sure nothing ate the fish. It was clear that there was something wrong. Not eating is generally a very bad sign that the fish is not well which is why it's always a good idea to make sure they are eating before you buy them in the fish store.

Having said that I am amazed that fish survive at all considering the trip they go through to make it to your tank. They are caught in the ocean then end up at a wholesaler with a lot of other fish packed all in one place then they get bagged up and shipped overnight in a plane cargo area and sit in a bag for who knows how long.

Who also knows how they were caught as well. While it is illegal fish are still frequently caught with cyanide. Cyanide is sprayed on the fish to stun them so they are much easier to catch and some die immediately and some will just slowly die in you your tank.  

• Like 1

I am pretty sure nothing ate the fish. It was clear that there was something wrong. Not eating is generally a very bad sign that the fish is not well which is why it's always a good idea to make sure they are eating before you buy them in the fish store.

Having said that I am amazed that fish survive at all considering the trip they go through to make it to your tank. They are caught in the ocean then end up at a wholesaler with a lot of other fish packed all in one place then they get bagged up and shipped overnight in a plane cargo area and sit in a bag for who knows how long.

Who also knows how they were caught as well. While it is illegal fish are still frequently caught with cyanide. Cyanide is sprayed on the fish to stun them so they are much easier to catch and some die immediately and some will just slowly die in you your tank.

I will certainly keep that in mind :) to check if thetly are eating before I buy them.

And yes, I know about the cyanide use. And it's terrible that they do it

• Like 1

Sorry about the fish. Chromis have a tendency to die while adjusting to a new tank, in my experience. That and every tank has a magical chromis number that their school will allow. This is purely anecdotal but I've tried adding a few here and here but they always diminish themselves to two fish and then they're stable.

Weird fish.

It is always a sad site to see a dead fish. Here are some of the things that you could do to prevent the next death:

#1: Make sure the fish is eating before you buy it and try to get it to eat when you get home. In my experience, a fish that doesn't eat is on the path for death.

#2: Water parameters have to be in check, especially when you are just starting a tank. If you don't test, you'll never know when it is done cycling. You need to see NH3 and NO2- drop to near zero.

#3: Make sure all of the inhabitants get along. Having fish pick on each other leads to stress, which causes a lack of appetite.

#4: Check for any diseases before you buy the fish. Personally, I think a lot of our LFS do a good job preventing disease, but looking at the health of the fish before you buy it is critical.

Honestly, there is a reason you buy a cheap fish for cycling. I wouldn't be surprised if every single one of us has had a fish or invert die during this process.

• Like 1

I only buy fish from Jeff at cuttlefish so I know I'm getting healthy stuff. Be cautious who you but from. I learned that the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine from Garret at Premium Aquarium - Salem.

He is pretty cool, and haven't had any trouble with rest of the 3 fish

You guys aren't kidding. At the very least make sure they run copper in the system you're buying from or use your own quarantine.

It's kind of like STD's but for your tank. Play safe. :)

Edit: most of my fish have come from Garrett. He knows what's up.

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1

Yeah Garrett is a good guy. I have bought fish from him as well but a certain amount of loss is expected when you are bringing in fish. I think most of us have lost fish at some point and for me the critical time is those first few weeks or if you don't quarantine and bring in a new fish.

Firstly, sorry you lost your Chromis.

2nd, i'm by no means an expert of any sort but couple of things that might be worth sharing.

I read a few years back that if your goal was to have a school of say, 7-8 Chromis then order and QT about 15-20 of them as they will kill eachother off in their own weird attempt at a hierarchy well, a few years later i only have one large one left out of around 7 healthy ones. 

Also it's worth mentioning that sometimes a clown will look at a Chromis/damsel and lose it's mind :nutty: 

This might have something to do with them all belonging to the damsel family. (if i understand that correctly) i know how my female clown reacts and that she has been responsible for several Chromis and a few damsels demise. (Along with myself)  :unsure:

This healthy large "lone survivor" Chromis gets put in his place everyday STILL by the female clown.

It might be a good idea to remove any new fish that dies unexpectedly as opposed to feeding it to the rest of your tank inhabitants not knowing exactly what killed it. When it comes to the certain common diseases that are in our hobby that come in on fish and anything else "wet" for that matter i myself have not researched yet if in most cases it would already be too late if once in the water column. But hey, if i knew exactly what killed my supposed healthy fish i would look at my other fish and say Bon appetite!

Has anybody ever noticed how that the stomach portion of a fish is always completely consumed first?

I guess that's where all the nutrition is and fish seem to be well aware of that, it's like Filet mignon to them. I first noticed this in my freshwater tanks. 

• Like 1

See? The magical chromis number. :p

Dead things in my tank get left for the CUC. I'm heartless that way and my system is established enough that I just kind of chuckle at the thought of parameter spikes from a single dead fish.

My leftovers from feeding the fish and coral leave more excess than even my biggest fish dying possibly could.

Besides, everyone likes (to watch) a free meal. >:)

• Like 1

Haha ????

After reading all these comments I don't feel bad anymore about that poor chromis haha

????

And about removing its carcass: it's almost gone.

Last time I checked was a few hours ago and a hermit crab was having a feast and only a small part of it was remaining.

I hope TPA employees don't see this.

My first fish purchase was 3 chromis and 3 firefish. Dead by morning. I threw a little bit of a fit at them. They understood. I had no idea how utterly violent our tanks are. Then I bought a ruby red with the credit. Dumb plan.

I've come a long ways. Haha.

• Like 1

I hope TPA employees don't see this.

My first fish purchase was 3 chromis and 3 firefish. Dead by morning. I threw a little bit of a fit at them. They understood. I had no idea how utterly violent our tanks are. Then I bought a ruby red with the credit. Dumb plan.

I've come a long ways. Haha.

I think all the LFS owners are used to customers yelling or complaining about fish dying haha and most of the times it is newbies, IMO haha ????

Well I'm a newbie too, but kinda knew how it really works

Just be happy it was a chromis and not a 100 dollar plus fish......dont even want to think how many benjamins I have flushed........

chromis are one of those weird fish. I had 4 and am down to 1 now they seem to thin themselves out all by themselves.

• Like 1