Any Rockhounds in our Group?

TheClark

Family and I are going on a simple road trip around WA and dipping into Oregon.

We are total amateurs, looking for recommendations on fee dig sites or other easy opportunities.

The big catch is, we are taking an RV so access is limited.

The kids are 16 and 10. Any tips are sure appreciated.

So far we are hitting 

Eocene Fossil Park in Republic

Rock Candy Gem Mountain in Grand Forks Canada

Wheeler High School Fossils

Thinking about Richardsons Rock Ranch (not RV friendly though)

That's about it so far.

Any tips or ideas for stops are appreciated, PM is fine too if you prefer.

TIA

• Like 2

Richardsons ranch is fun and a guarantee to find some neat stuff. Their are a few spots in the ochoco mountains outside prinville that have thundereggs, I believe white fir springs mine is open regularly for thunderegg digging. The polka dot mine over in eastern Oregon has some awesome agates. If you can find the gem trails of Oregon and Washington books those are great resources

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Richardsons ranch is fun and a guarantee to find some neat stuff. Their are a few spots in the ochoco mountains outside prinville that have thundereggs, I believe white fir springs mine is open regularly for thunderegg digging. The polka dot mine over in eastern Oregon has some awesome agates. If you can find the gem trails of Oregon and Washington books those are great resources

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, thank you!  Ended up renting a truck so we can go to Richardsons, they said 'no way' to RVs when we called.

Looking forward to it!

Digging sunstones near Plush can be fun if it isn't a million degrees out when you get there. I like beach combing for agates this time of year

We did that last year in the old minivan!  Truly fun, probably a big reason why we are doing this trip this year.  Thanks for the info!

Always recommend richardsons rock ranch.. Best thunderegg from the blue beds.

But I did make a journey to the painted hills and along the way in Fossil Oregon you can go behind the school and dig on the hill. Found several rocks with leaf fossils in them. Multiple ones but they are hard to find and hard to crack sometimes

• Like 2

Unbelievably good time, really enjoyed it.

Robert, last minute we added Hampton Butte to the list, thanks for the tip!

Picked up some amazing petrified wood.  

We were so close that we decided to take the RV to glass butte.  Even though we could not get to the butte, there was lots of nice obsidian just laying on the sides of the road including that black and brown obsidian (mahogony?).

Very cool! Those memories, and rocks, will last a life time. I have had some very impressive jewelry made from obsidian form Glass Butte for my wife. If you can find some one who knows obsidian they can cut it at the right angels to get the sheens to shine at or near the surface. That is if you got some with the sheen. There is a green sheen, blue sheen, rainbow, Auraborialis, and the fire. The marbled obsidians and the flaked are impressive as well.

• Like 3