Briopsis and what you've done to kill it.

I tied a 40b frag tank into my main system somewhat recently and it started growing briopsis. This is just in the frag tank. Though both tanks share a sump, the returns both go through filter socks. My point is that there isn't one speck of this stuff in my display. It got on my nerves so I did a few things.

1: Got myself a bottle of Kents Tech M Magnesium supplement. I guess it has something that briopsis doesn't like. Definitely a noticeable slowing in growth.

2: Moved three or four pretty macros from the sump and planted them in my frag tank. The hope is it will out compete it.

3: Manual removal of as much of it as possible.

4: Put a Kole Eye Tang in the frag tank. He's little and only him and a pair of fancy clowns live in there. Oh and a flagfin goby with his candy cane pistol shrimp.

So far I think I'm winning pretty quickly but I'm keeping a close eye on this. What have you done to successfully rid yourself of this pest?

I just finished my 64oz bottle of tech m. I started off at 1290ppm couple days ago and as of a couple of mins ago its at 1540ppm.

This is in 135g and my main fear is i wouldn't have enough and sure enough, nope  :laugh: i knew i should have ordered more. So far i see little to no difference yet

I was just now reading that it may be lithium in the tech m that has the effect on this evil stuff.

Honestly I think planting large macro colonies in the same tank was the best thing.

Also tying it to ~100 gallon established system probably isn't hurting. I might add this crap popped up during the "green phase" of cycling this frag tank. Little GHA popped up and died, now the briopsis is taking its turn.

Edited by youcallmenny