WTB good flow powerhead ??

GOBY

tunze pumps are great IMO.  try one or two 6040 or 6055 nanostream pumps in that size tank for good flow.  they are pricey but i've had a few 6055 pumps for almost 10 years now and have never had a problem with them.  i also have a 6040 in a 29g biocube and it's really small for the flow it produces.  not sure how long it will last since i've only had it about 8 months but i'm guessing it will be reliable like all the other tunze pumps i have.

208856-tunzenanostream6040-g.jpg

202102.jpg

are the Vortech power heads worth the money I see a lot of bad reviews.....???

Unfortunately, this is a question that doesn't have an absolute answer. The general consensus is that they are quality pieces of equipment. They function well, have a good resale value, and seem to last a long time. I can't recall any example of a person upgrading to Vortechs and wishing he or she had not.

However, I've seen and read about an absolute countless number of amazing tanks, without Vortechs. People have had success with Tunze, Jebao, Maxspect, etc. There are countless options, but I think there is typically some truth to getting what you paid for. For example, there will always be negative reviews and issues with equipment, but I'm confident you'll find those more often with something like Jebao than you will with Ecotech. Just my thoughts though...

• Like 2

I've also found the Vortechs to be quality equipment. I have 4 of them running on my systems.

I also have Jebaos, and have found them to be a good value. They usually do not last as long as the the Vortechs, though.

I have also heard good things about the Tunzes, so I am considering trying out a nanostream on my new seahorse tank.

The vortechs are amazing pumps. I was not a believer until I finally upgraded my Jabeo and bought an MP-40. Best choice I ever made! The flow and controllability is amazing! But as the others have stated, jabeos also make great pumps! Those are what I used before upgrading and I loved them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tunze does make great products that hold up well.  I had a tunze nano on my nuvo 20 but it was just too powerful and did not give you as much control as my mp10.  I love my mp10s and have 2 of the quiet drives on my red sea reeer 250. They really are quiet compared to the old models which was key since the new tank is in the bedroom.

Like was mentioned they also have great customer service and great resale value but yes they are quite spendy initially. :)

• Like 1

Vortech is worth the money ime! Their customer service is top notch! I got three mp40 wd i didnt use for months and when i set up my new tank the inpellers got stuck and dont spin! I called vortech and they send me three new ones! Talk anout top notch service!

• Like 3

I think it all depends also on what look you are after. I have run both Tunze and Voretch and like them both for flow. But in the end I went with Vortech as they are the only one to have the power supply outside the tank and that means no chords in the tank. I like that look much better.

If you're interested, I have (2) Jebao wp25 pumps with only 3 months of use on them. Selling for $35 each or $60 for both. They provided a lot of flow in my 72g, but I'm downsizing and getting rid of the tank, so I won't be needing them. (sorry, a friend bought them)

I've never used the more expensive brands, but I can certainly see the appeal of wires outside the tank and wouldn't blame anyone for going that route for more $. As with most things, it's personal preference how the pros and cons balance out.

Edited by Flashy Fins