Rotifers

chewie

I'm looking for live Rotifers.... I am most likely going to place an order through reed mariculture but just throwing this out there.

If anyone has some, or knows a local place to get a starter culture, I would love more info.

Just got my Darwins to spawn on a 6x6 tile!

Exited to try my hand at breeding!

Fisher, is 1 million going to be enough for a clutch of about 200? Or would I need to get 5 million?

Chris, thanks for the offer! I just may stop by and pick those up(gives me an excuse to see your tank). You busy Sunday? Shoot me a pm. I have never raised any fry yet. My old pair of onyx were spawning but I was too lazy/busy to rear any of them. I am exited to try this time!

Thanks guys!

I'll look around tonight, I know they're stored in a tote somewhere...

I'm hoping to spend Sunday on the river. Not sure if you're going to check out the frag swap but I'll be watching the shop for Travis while he's in Europe, I could always bring them there if I find them tonight. Pretty sure I know which one they're in.

Granted I have like 4 totes full of tank stuff lol.

I'll look around tonight, I know they're stored in a tote somewhere...

I'm hoping to spend Sunday on the river. Not sure if you're going to check out the frag swap but I'll be watching the shop for Travis while he's in Europe, I could always bring them there if I find them tonight. Pretty sure I know which one they're in.

Granted I have like 4 totes full of tank stuff lol.

only 4 totes? I have half a basement ????

I have to work tomorrow too and then I'll be out in the couve around 6pm. After that I'm free.

Found them! 

I've downsized A LOT in the last year and gotten rid of a ton of equipment, I'd rather give the stuff to someone who can actually use it than just throw it away.

I'll be home in the evening tomorrow if you want to swing by, I'll pm you my number and we can figure it out.

15g.

If I were you I would only fill it to 7-8 gal.  Then get a test tube from one of your test kits and tape it off with electrical tape so you can only see 1 milliliter of water.  Now you can fill the tube and view the open area to estimate density.

I would split the rotifer order into 3 parts.  One for the fry tank and the other two for two rotifer cultures.  You can start feeding the fry tank green water to keep the rotifers alive in the fry tank.  The other two cultures are for adding additional rotifers to the fry tank over the next several days.

You should be feeding dry food starting day 4-5 and can stop rotifers once the fry are eating dry food.

I use Roti Grow Plus from Reed to feed my cultures and I use Roti Green for the green water in the fry tank.  They come frozen and there is no need to grow green water.

Remember, this is my method, but others do it differently.

Edited by Fisher15

Thanks for your input! Are you suggesting 7-8g for rotifer density only? I have no issue with buying more than 1 million. Plus after more closely counting the clutch, there's more like 400 eggs. That's alot of fry for 7-8 gallons or even 15g. I may setup a 30-40g.

Edited by chewie

Thanks for your input! Are you suggesting 7-8g for rotifer density only? I have no issue with buying more than 1 million. Plus after more closely counting the clutch, there's more like 400 eggs. That's alot of fry for 7-8 gallons or even 15g. I may setup a 30-40g.

Don't get excited.  You can put more water in as they grow, but 40 gal of water will require millions of rotifers.  If they are not dense enough the fry will not find them.  Use less water and over the first several days you can add more.  Remember, you should start adding dry food on the 4-5 th day and rotifers will be less important.  Your biggest problem will be water quality and doing daily water changes on a 40 will keep you busy.

Edited by Fisher15

Again, thank you for your imput. What you are saying makes sense but I am worried more about O2 levels with 400 fry in less than 10g. Probably negligible at their tiny size but just thinking out loud. I will definitely take your advice on this matter.

Are you using Roti green in your fry tank to decrease water changes? Is it "cleaner" than Roti grow?

I'm thinking of ordering 2 million/Roti grow and will divide them by 3. 2 cultures and 1 in the fry tank.

Artemia and dry food (otohime) by day 4/5 and a crap ton of small water changes. I know that most breeders are shying away from artemia but I have lots of experience with them from my old cichlid days 20 years ago. Plus my reef loves them too.

Thanks again for your input! Not sure how well this batch will come out but the next few should be solid. I'll make sure to start a new thread as soon as they hatch.