Home renovation time,can I do it on my own?

g2theram

We have a great starter home and it's our first one. While I'm not a novice in doing home renovations I still have lots to learn. We currently have aluminum Windows and are looking to replace them out with new HE triple pane Windows. I've heard mixed reviews on doing this job on your own. I'm thinking that I might give it a shot. Have any of you replaced a house window?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is really not that complicated the one thing to watch out for with the aluminum framed windows is you have a good chance of finding dry rot because of how much they sweat. It is pretty common and once you open that Pandora's box of dry rot you gotta ride the wave and repair it all. =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Depends on how far it goes but yeah simple framing and some extra sheet rock work no big deal it is when it gets all the way down to the sill on the foundation that it becomes more of a big project and may want to get some out side help at that point.

• Like 1

The back of my house has what looks like a preformed press board siding. Do I just cut through the siding to expose the nailing flange and then put up new trim work after the window is replaced or do I have to find the nail points and remove/reuse the siding.

The front of the house is vinyl siding and I'm pretty good at taking that stuff thanks to my pressure washer exhaust burning a hole in it lol.

Edited by g2theram

If it is LP siding now would be a good time to look at replacement. You should remove the siding around the window then when you have the new window in you can measure and cut to fit. The new Windows will not be the exact same size as the old ones also not a bad I Dea to have a few extra pieces on hand when you start.

Do you know how to flash a window?

I've been watching a bunch of videos on it. Seems pretty straight forward to cut away a bit of the siding then add in some cedar trim and seal it all up.

Where you located?

I'm in Vancouver

After having three contractors quote me for the Windows, the cheapest I got was $6600. My fist quote on just the Windows alone was $2600. After materials and disposal that leaves at least $3K in labor costs. That seems ridiculous to me. Just solidified my choice to do this project my own.

• Like 1