20gal Nuvo

NanoDrummer09

I decided I would start a thread going from the birth of a downgraded tank that is turning out awesome.

Decided, to save space in our apartment, we would sell off the 40gal breeder with sump and stand and get a more desktop 20gal AIO. Went with the Nuvo 20gal and as of right now only filtration is carbon and the filter socks. The light is a captive reef series LED light. Going from a DIY led build this is sweet. Made a light rail from some shelving parts at Home Depot and it looks pro enough.

Took all of my zoa plugs clown pair sand sifter and cromis and they look perfect. Also took what I wanted from my old LR. Super excited about this build! b20cb92cbd7a31907c930aac905e2695.jpg

I plan on taking some better photos tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey welcome to the Nuvo 20 club! They are great little tanks. I upgraded to a reefer 250 but I still have my 20 up as a frag tank. Just couldn't get rid of it. [emoji3] Can't wait to see more pictures. You always take great pictures!

Thanks! Sorry for the delay, I went out of town a month ago for 10days and came home to a GHA nightmare. We're about 80% recovered and everything is healing fast and algae is going away.

Once everything is at 100% going to stock a bit more and post more photos! About to update my pump to an ecoplus 290 to get some extra flow going.

More to come shortly

So i DIY'ed a light stand that i think looks a litter cleaner.  I wanted to do a cast iron look (which i probably saw on pointers for plant hangers or something. where the ends are threaded, pretty much cast iron PVC.) But this only cost me 10$ with some extra spray paint i got and i just need to add  another coat.  I plan on getting an extension cord to help wrap the light cord around the stand so nothing is falling from the back.    Thoughts?  I think the height is good, my corals seem to love it a bit more. 

I sold my B&W clowns and traded my chromic for some zoas and a small frogspawn frag.  The algae issue is definitely clearing up.  Got more crabs and snails, which i think will help.  Ive done two doses of chemiclean over the past two weeks after doing a 4gal water change.  And I'm waiting to place my corals until the algae has cleared up.  Ive acquired a rather large colony of frogspawn that barely fit in my tank.  Ill be breaking that out here in a bit so stay tuned.  5ad48b08ae68cff78e477fb8f0679d1e.jpgca26282d6fc1b65777a19d71e90ba43e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Recently stocked the tank with a few more corals! Also am running into an algae problem of bryopsis pennata. It's small and not covering the tank, yet, but I read it's a little harder to get rid of because crabs and sea life won't completely destroy it but just trim the hedges if you will. But here's a good link I found with a list of common algae and solutions

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Hope to upload some photos tomorrow!

I had a bryopsis problem in my Nuvo too but I just slowly trimmed it out. As the tank matures it went away. My purple tang is an awesome bryopsis eater too. Too bad they are too big for a 20.

Every chance I get i pick some out and I haven't noticed any patches spreading. If anything I have a Xenia problem, they're growing like mad. I'm scared for my coral

• 3 months later...

Update

Sorry its been awhile, holidays were crazy and for being gone for two weeks with someone just stopping by to make sure the tank didn't crash i came home to a little algae bloom and a xenia infestation.  Got the algae taken care of and i made a kalk paste, two days ago and squirted most of the xenia with it and its all almost gone.  Im going to do a water tonight and see if i can just siphon most of them out of if ill have to treat it again.  Some of my zoas have lost a bit of color but they hadn't gotten fed so I'm back up to the feedings and moving things along.  Hope to be adding some new corals/fish soon! 

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to frag my mother colonies of some watermelon and radioactive dragon eyes. Ended up making 23 frags and I feel pretty good about how it went! Did a iodine dip after but might try a hydrogen peroxide next time with the zoas, I read that it'll kill pests and any HA that might be hitch hiking. Thoughts? 996036526cf7eae58c5ba0acb6ef5f33.jpg737f85cd17e86562eebd0f0ff7a7f963.jpgd728f7ec9a8926e1f763bdc661aa7e43.jpg