Algae scrubber

caolewis

I want to achieve fat fishes and rich color corals, but tank keeps on P&N spiking and some struggling without running reactors.  Looking into Algae scrubber but they cost $$.  So started DIY, under $100 and will see how this will go in few days or weeks if reaching goals.

1.  No water change ( some minor water changes due to craps from snails in frag tank)

2.  More heavy feeding to have fat fishes.

3.  More balance/stable on P&N and no chemical reactors

image%2019_zps2y8fikmm.jpeg

image%2021_zps290oa5c0.jpeg

image%2020_zpsvobxr17i.jpeg

image%2018_zps5hkv8avu.jpeg

Edited by caolewis
  • Like 1

If it's just the one in the pic, I don't think you have enough light.

http://www.santa-monica.cc/GEM5-high-power-underwater-refugium-algae-scrubber-reactor-and-hydroponic-light-5-real-watts-EACH-LIGHT-10-watts-other-LEDs-20-watts-CFL_p_84.html

Here are some submersible LED strips that can be used for this. They are $ but might help if you find your setup underpowered.

If it's just the one in the pic, I don't think you have enough light.

http://www.santa-monica.cc/GEM5-high-power-underwater-refugium-algae-scrubber-reactor-and-hydroponic-light-5-real-watts-EACH-LIGHT-10-watts-other-LEDs-20-watts-CFL_p_84.html

Here are some submersible LED strips that can be used for this. They are $ but might help if you find your setup underpowered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291717714983

I run just 1, and i picked red color.  Algae does not need much light, I think and I run 2 air stone to generate tone of oxygen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291717714983

I run just 1, and i picked red color.  Algae does not need much light, I think and I run 2 air stone to generate tone of oxygen.

You can grow some algae without much light, but in order to grow enough to make a difference with Nitrate and Phosphate in your tank, you will want more light. I would use at least 5 of those strips.

I am not sure why you are using this design. A waterfall type scrubber is much easier to build and the specifications for the screen size, the amount of flow and light have all been pretty well defined. No need to re-invent the scrubber.

Here is my screen:

IMAG0452_zpstsx23bni.jpg

Scrubberlights2004_zps70f88f8d.jpg

My lights:

Algaescrubberlights013_zpse233e086.jpg

IF you go to this site, you will learn a lot.

https://www.algaescrubbing.com/threads/algae-scrubber-basics.264/

• Like 3

Nice day job. I agree with needing more light. I have a 'red' led flood light on each side. I think they were 15watt (Chinese watts ????) each.

My regret was not upping the lights. My man's intuition tells me that more light helps the algae react quicker to surges in nutrients. I'd bet a six pack of cheap college beer that if you up the lighting your spikes will go away.

The lights I bought were ~$20 each from aliexpress I think. I keep thinking of buying two more and doing two per side but haven't gotten around to it.

I am not sure why you are using this design. A waterfall type scrubber is much easier to build and the specifications for the screen size, the amount of flow and light have all been pretty well defined. No need to re-invent the scrubber.

Here is my screen:

IMAG0452_zpstsx23bni.jpg

My lights:

Nice looking reef room, allot of details in that scrubber that are appealing!

Have more pics of the room?  What goes inside that wood painted box along with the lights?  An acyrlic box with the spray bar?

The Clark,

I am into raising fish and I have a 100 gal sump, 5ea  20 gal breeders, a 40 gal grow out, and a 135 gal all on one system.  A second system consists of a BRT and a 50 gal sump for raising Larva.

I feed very heavily and wanted a way to control algae and water quality.  I built the cabinet so I could run the scrubber on off hours and not keep the fish awake.  The scrubber is glass with very heavy DIY LED lighting.  I can adjust both flow and light intensity as necessary.

Here is the BRT

Mecury%20Capsule%20001_zpswloxmjy2.jpg

Fishroom%20003_zpsmk4peybz.jpg

• Like 2

Here is my screen:

IMAG0452_zpstsx23bni.jpg

My lights:

The showering style required some plumbing and I think I have done enough plumbing to stay away from it as much as I could.

This design a lot quicker and easier and could be a lot more affective with rich oxygen from air stones.  Will see how it go next week

The showering style required some plumbing and I think I have done enough plumbing to stay away from it as much as I could.

This design a lot quicker and easier and could be a lot more affective with rich oxygen from air stones.  Will see how it go next week

What does the oxygen do? Oxygen will not help algae growth. The flow you get from an air stone is important, however.

The air stone creates a oxigen rich environment which promotes the rapid growth of nitrifying bacteria think trickle tower or wet dry filter which rapidly convert the ammonia and nitrite into nitrates and the algae is then consumes them. At least that is my theory I have no proof but it makes sense to me =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

"Algae reproduce very quickly and need only sunlight (or another form of energy, like sugar), water, carbon dioxide and a few inorganic nutrients to grow."

If you want to build an algae scrubber, you need to understand how they work.  You set up an area that algae will preferentially grow in and that stops most algae growth in your tank.  But to do this you must understand what makes algae grow.  Good luck!