Live feeder copepods: Tigriopus californicus cultures

Got a ton of tigriopus californicus growing out in 2 liter bottles in my garage, I like to thin them out occasionally so selling off some in 3 oz starter cultures.

If you have anything that likes to eat small copepods these make great food, and they are super easy to grow. 

I think I've had the same cultures running for about 5 years now and all I do is give them light for the algae to grow. 

If you want a starter to get your own culture going just let me know :)

$5 per starter, or if you want a whole established 2 liter I'd sell one of those for $25.

Post here if you are interested and we can PM or text to arrange a time to meet. I live out towards Damascus/Clackamas and commute to Beaverton so can usually meet up somewhere in between during the week after work.

Cheers!

Stu

• Like 1

They will survive the temp, but will be eaten by other amphipods and the animals. These guys in the wild only live in splash pools that they at the highest animal on the food chain, and the algae they eat is the next. I've observed pools brimming with them and right next to it a pool devoid of them and only one or two slightly larger amphipod species. Best bet is to propagate them outside of the main system and then add them as a food source to your tank.

The nice part is that they will live year round in room temperature stagnant saltwater. If u want more production out of them just raise the temp with a small heater and keep them in a tank, that will speed their metabolism and hop up reproduction times. I light mine 24/7 now that I have algae that will grow nonstop.

The tigers look good. Thanks again. :)

Glad I could help :) You guys should have no problem setting up a couple more solid colonies with those 2 liters you got ;)  Remember to spread em out so you have backups in case anything happens to one of them.  My kids have knocked a couple of mine over before, lol.

He said it was in the garage with quite a bit of temperature fluxes and I believe the lights overhead were never turned off. I also keep mine outside but not in full sun just morning sun to prevent overheating...Don't forget to top off.

Right now I have mine under a trio of LED spot lights that normally run a 12 hour light period, but I turned them on from the reef keeper about a month ago and and just left them on.

Temp swings from low 50's to high 80's in the garage. They will 100% live outside though, just make sure they don't get cooked in direct light or water logged with rain. I'd guess a window or back porch on the south facing side of the house would give the best lighting and coverage from rain. Evap is a PITA, which is why I went with the 2liter bottles for the main grow outs. The tapered neck prevents a lot of the normal condensation.

He said it was in the garage with quite a bit of temperature fluxes and I believe the lights overhead were never turned off. I also keep mine outside but not in full sun just morning sun to prevent overheating...Don't forget to top off.

Right now I have mine under a trio of LED spot lights that normally run a 12 hour light period, but I turned them on from the reef keeper about a month ago and and just left them on.

Temp swings from low 50's to high 80's in the garage. They will 100% live outside though, just make sure they don't get cooked in direct light or water logged with rain. I'd guess a window or back porch on the south facing side of the house would give the best lighting and coverage from rain. Evap is a PITA, which is why I went with the 2liter bottles for the main grow outs. The tapered neck prevents a lot of the normal condensation.

Okie doke. Right now it is just sitting outside, but it does get direct sunlight for about 4 hours a day. Might be too much for them. Thanks for the help guys.

Anyone looking for tigriopus cultures should most definitely talk to the AquaticEngineer.

I'm out off of 172nd and Hwy212 just before Damascus. I should be home most of the day tomorrow, shoot mea text for address/cell :)

Ok so somewhat close. I am out tomorrow but am interested.....and I missed the location in the first post just saw it.......I will pm you as not number listed.

I can offer if anyone wants a bottle, pm me and I can have aquatic bring more. He is coming tomorrow night for drop off.

I will be attending the expo this weekend. So you could pick up your pods from me.

If this makes it easier for anyone.

Chris

I can offer if anyone wants a bottle, pm me and I can have aquatic bring more. He is coming tomorrow night for drop off.

I will be attending the expo this weekend. So you could pick up your pods from me.

If this makes it easier for anyone.

Chris

Where are you located?

I'm progress ridge about 5 mins away from GB and will be attending the expo this Saturday

If anyone wants them pm me so I can tell aquatic to bring more tomorrow as he is hand delivering. So I'll need to know by tonight so he can have them ready.

Thanks.