Completely new to the reef world.

Vance164

Hello I am Vance from St. Helens and I am in the process of research for my first reef tank and thought this would be a great place to start with some fairly local people!! I'm hoping to start with a 125 gallon I have and a diy 55 gallon sump. I look forward to asking questions and getting opinions from everyone here. I have already visited a few reef shops which have been very helpful!! Thanks in advance and nice to meet you all

• Like 4

Hey Vance! Welcome! I am glad to see that you were willing to make an account with PNWMAS. We love DIY projects and are more than happy to help out with any plans or questions you may have. Local fish stores (LFS) are also a good place to start. It would be good to start looking around the LFS and decide what type of corals you may want, because each one is a little different and you might as well if you are designing a setup. Ask the store questions, ask us questions. Someone around here is bound to know the answerl

Can't wait to see this develop.

See you around,

Miles

Hi Vance, and welcome.  Just started back up again, and have been getting a lot of help from the people here on the forums so you are in a good place.  To reiterate, read read and read some more.  I spend more time reading than cleaning the tank that I just got that needs to now have a stand built... oh and the floor  braced... oh and and and :)

Welcome to our forums!!!  There are many very helpful people here to share their experiences with you.  Read... ask questions... read some more..... ask some more questions.... by then you will be ready for a bigger tank!!!  :)

Welcome to the forum vance! Definitely talking to people at Reef shops and also on here you can learn a lot. There are some good people on here close to your area too like Kknight and Higher Thinking and in the Longview area which is not too far away there is stylaster who has an amazing tank as well!

Welcome to the Forum. We have a lot of great people here! I would recommend hitting up Bulk Reef Supply's site and watching there videos on setting up a reed tank. There one where they go through the whole process it was beyond helpful for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

awe

Hey there! I live in Scappoose so I'm just a stone's throw away. I'd love to have you over and chat reef and provide whatever help I can. Let me know. I'm home most evenings.

Awesome I would love to meet up sometime and chat hopefully in the near future I'm free most of the time also!

Welcome to the Forum. We have a lot of great people here! I would recommend hitting up Bulk Reef Supply's site and watching there videos on setting up a reed tank. There one where they go through the whole process it was beyond helpful for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been spending countless hours watching the youtube channel seems like lots of good information! thanks for the tip though!

Welcome to the forum vance! Definitely talking to people at Reef shops and also on here you can learn a lot. There are some good people on here close to your area too like Kknight and Higher Thinking and in the Longview area which is not too far away there is stylaster who has an amazing tank as well!

That's promising will be nice to have people with the same hobby near by!

Welcome to our forums!!!  There are many very helpful people here to share their experiences with you.  Read... ask questions... read some more..... ask some more questions.... by then you will be ready for a bigger tank!!!   :)

Thank you! I've been doing as much research as I can in my free time!

Hi Vance, and welcome.  Just started back up again, and have been getting a lot of help from the people here on the forums so you are in a good place.  To reiterate, read read and read some more.  I spend more time reading than cleaning the tank that I just got that needs to now have a stand built... oh and the floor  braced... oh and and and :)

Yea I have quite the list of things to do just finished breaking down the 55 I'm going to use for my sump build. but get to pick up my first piece of reef equipment in the morning getting a precision marine calcium reactor for 100 I think it seemed like a fair deal! also will have to rebuild the stand i had already made for the 125 to accommodate the sump.

Well I bought my first piece of reefer equipment today!!!

20160519_170758_resized_zpsvrrioaka.jpg

Also last night I tore down the tank I planned to use for a sump last night!

20160707_202030_zpsgbsse8ys.jpg

then after pricing out 1/4 inch glass for the baffles I found it would be cheaper to just buy a 55 gallon on the dollar per gallon sale and use the old tank for glass panes should of gave me enough to make around 16 baffles if needed

20160708_221059_zpskgfgw3mw.jpg

Then I began to remove the substrate from the soon to be salvage tank to find this :(

20160708_221918_zpscnrc2l1p.jpg

So now I have to decide do I cut up the brand new tank or take it back or try to sell the full tempered glass tank!!! or maybe you guys have some insight for some cheaper glass shops?

• 3 weeks later...

It was nice to meet you  and your wife at Golden Basket today.

Welcome and thank you for becoming family member.

I'm really close if you want to stop by. (Kids welcome )

awesome sounds great would love to do that one of these days and was very nice to meet you!