And so it begins ... Noobs 29g Rimless Biocube

nmpdx

Hello All,

I introduced myself earlier I'm Nathan and as the title implies I am a complete noob to this hobby. But on the other hand I am extremely excited to start to learn the ends and outs of reefing. So with that said please feel free to stop me ask questions and inform me about how stupid I am or what I am doing wrong. [emoji1303]

Anyways with the help of a fellow form member and good friend I was able to come across an extremely good deal on an Oceanic 29 gallon Biocube. Got it home yesterday and the fun began.

d3c7f86e5d24dee885988f54814bcd91.jpg

8d2cc3cf4c6d8874ad96790cb070e7e3.jpg

The tank in all its glory. After checking it out I decided I did not want to use the hood because it would cost too much to do a LED retro and it wasn't in very good condition and that it appeared the tank had never been cleaned lol.

I came home this evening and decided the work was to begin. And my little guy decided he wanted to be along for the ride.

e9b5d1fb7e4d9ed7dd3964895af84b48.jpg

01da6258626e6d6d8237c62b5d761c3b.jpg

I got some of the exterior clean and began filling it up to get a primary clean for anything that has settled. I ended up removing the bio balls as well as the false floor in chamber number 1. I then started working on removing the rim of the tank. I had done a bunch of research at work on how remove the rim. After the casualty of my index finger I decided it was time to put a ton of vinegar and fill the rest up with water to test for leaks as well as let it soak overnight to deep clean.

0ce711f9fc347ad4f8aecffbd2936059.jpg

df5bb2db37345db456678052ff91ae8e.jpg

Also a small score I found buried in the return chamber.

0efb8db89ebc23b0fe221565de3475b0.jpg

Anyways that's as far as I got tonight. Will continue the work tomorrow and see if I can get the rim off and put some serious elbow grease to get it clean. The wife gave me till Thursday to get it out of the garage as she need the room for her garage sale Saturday.

Thanks for check this out plan on doing regular updates along my journey.

Nathan [emoji1308]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey again.

So I put in some decent work. Not too bad of a day. First thing I did was I continued to work on the rim. Which I was able to successfully get off.

c9668704342e1a55579b95fe3b2ba072.jpg

It was a little nerve racking but I managed. The came the tedious task of getting all the silicone off the edges.

e2c30961fbc42295788aef6688e39959.jpg

Ugh 4 hours later. Vinegar and goof off later I got it about as good as I can. There is a little hue towards the top that just won't leave. But I actually think it turned out pretty well and makes the tank look completely different and a lot more elegant. Lol.

f3317d1a9e146a97f300348918870242.jpg

I also went on a search for new hinges to replace the rusted ones. Home Depot didn't have anything that I could see that would fit. So I figured it'd be easy to replace hinges later and that my wife is gonna be harassing me to move it tomorrow evening. On the plus I found a decent replacement for the stag horn cabinet handles.

030721ae75135e27c97f99dbf7b1aa4e.jpg

eddc8076cab649b8b16e62da43074885.jpg

Anyways that's where I left it for tonight. Got the tank completely clean, cleared out chamber 2 false floor, rim removed, and some general cleaning on the stand. Not a bad day. Will put stand back to get tomorrow then start to dream the aqua scape. My wife said she'd pitch in on that one. Happy wife happy life.

Thanks for checking it out.

Nathan [emoji111]????️

Alright folks just a small update tonight. Was forced to help the wife setup garage sale stuff.

Anyways picked up some starter dry rock from g2theram today. Got it home and played for a few. Also got the tank to its close to resting home once the rest of my man cave set up.

3132bf8106f5f7d4b7d334b5295510e5.jpg

This is kinda what I came up with. I also want to add another medium island rock or formation on the front right to give it some depth contrast. Any advice on what you see?

Probably won't have many updates other than placing some orders the next couple days.

Stay tuned. It's just getting good.

Nathan ✌

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey all,

Another small update. Picked up another piece of rock from Matty. Thank you sir amazing tank! Took the rock home and placed it in the tank. Think I found a scape I can live with.

c44b8c4e753c3383d1ff52e12d37a8d4.jpg

5a67d082574c84567a96774de1642beb.jpg

64db0c8717875bd5d10836778c415e12.jpg

I like it quite a bit now trying to picture corals and where they'd fit and how they'd look. If you have any tips or advice please let me know.

Thanks

Nathan [emoji111]????️

• Like 2

Thanks Emerald. I'm trying. I'm fairly certain I'm gonna glue the 3 back rocks together and run like this for a few. But will probably play around just a bit more. Still lots of learning and mistakes to be had. I'm also attempting to learn patience. Very difficult for my generation.

I think tomorrow I'm going to order a jebao rw4 (based on a Matty recommendation), mj1200, live sand, and a cobalt neotherm. That should get the cycle started. Anyone have any better suggestions on the equipment?

Alright folks been a couple days since I've updated. Progress has slowed as the wife releases funds for the fun stuff.

After a field trip with my manager today we ended up at Cuttle Fish and Coral. So much I wanted to buy while in there but have to get the tank wet before I can buy anything like that lol

Did end up with this guy here

104e36b8c2ca864d9a178bbd302bf7ac.jpg

Thanks again Cuddle Fish and Coral for the awesome service and good prices. You will be taking a lot of my money soon.

Until next time..

Nathan [emoji1308]

• Like 1