Can a 75G Tank Stand be used for a 55G tank?

katarian

Hi Everyone,

I'm in a huge dilemma at the moment. I have a 55G tank with a stand with right dimensions. But the problem is that I can't fit a good sized sump under it. The inside width of the stand is a little less than 12inch whereas the width of a 20G Long (that's the size of sump I'm thinking of using) is 12.5inch.

So I was thinking about making a stand that is good for a 75G tank (as rhe length is the same on both, just that 75 is more wider), as this will give me more room inside the stand to work with a Sump.

I would setup the sump somewhere else, but we live in an apartment and we have a son who's 18months old, so we have to keep it away from his sight, inside the stand.

So, is that gonna be a good idea? I'll just have 2.5inch of extra space in front and back of the aquarium, considering it's set right in the middle.

I'll really appreciate your guy'd input.

Thank you,

Nakul

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Figuratively there should be no issues as long as the tank has even support across the entire length, maybe just cutting up a 2X4 in several sections and spreading them evenly?

Particle board sucks, when it gets wet it swells and comes apart, and being under an aquarium, its going to get wet!

Figuratively there should be no issues as long as the tank has even support across the entire length, maybe just cutting up a 2X4 in several sections and spreading them evenly?

Particle board sucks, when it gets wet it swells and comes apart, and being under an aquarium, its going to get wet!

Thanks for your input :)

And should I put a thin layer of plywood on the top?

It wouldn't hurt though I really don't think its necessary, it would help keep water from getting below. 55 Gallon tanks aren't all that big, and they are typically on stands that only support the edges of the tank itself, so its not like the entire bottom off the glass needs to be on a flat surface, your are just trying to provide a solid even support for the bottom edges of the tank.

It wouldn't hurt though I really don't think its necessary, it would help keep water from getting below. 55 Gallon tanks aren't all that big, and they are typically on stands that only support the edges of the tank itself, so its not like the entire bottom off the glass needs to be on a flat surface, your are just trying to provide a solid even support for the bottom edges of the tank.

I'm sorry l, i forgot to mention that it's an acrylic tank