55G SeaClear Tank

katarian

Hi Everyone,

We (My wife and I) recently got a used 55G SeaClear tank, as we are really low on the budget. It is in a good condition and we are trying to setup a salt water tank (It's going to be our first aquarium). 

We'll highly appreciate your guys input to help us figure it out.

Thank you,

katarian

• Like 1

Hey welcome to the club. Just a few questions about your plans for the tank. What are you planning on keeping and how deep down the rabbit hole to you intend to travel =)

Thank you Jeremy :)

We want to do corals, anemone, and some clownfish and such.

Being our first aquarium, I'm not sure how deep we want to go. We're really tight on our budget and are trying to get one thing at a time.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum! Do you have specific questions ?

Thank you Emerald :)

Right at the moment? I am thinking about making a sump for my tank, and the only thing I've been wondering is what size piping should I do?

Welcome,

Generally for that size tank, Most people would run 1" bulkheads for the drains and either 3/4" or 1" bulkheads for the return. I would probably do a couple of drains and a couple of returns though you could get away with one of each without any trouble. 

It sounds like you are excited to get rolling! Post all the questions that you can think of :)

• Like 2

Welcome,

Generally for that size tank, Most people would run 1" bulkheads for the drains and either 3/4" or 1" bulkheads for the return. I would probably do a couple of drains and a couple of returns though you could get away with one of each without any trouble.

It sounds like you are excited to get rolling! Post all the questions that you can think of :)

I was thinking about just using my cannister filter as a return pump and putting that hose for return, until I can afford a good return pump.

You will run into problems with it not wanting to self prime if you try this. Better off buying a pump there are quite a few options for a cheap return pump. For what you are after.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You will run into problems with it not wanting to self prime if you try this. Better off buying a pump there are quite a few options for a cheap return pump. For what you are after.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I haven't had issues yet with it. It primes itself once you have some water in it. And it gets rid of air once every 24hrs