The Reef Room Has Started... sort of...

TheClark

51 minutes ago, spectra said:

Looks great so far but those mud marks..................................:laugh: rookie...............................

SOOOOO rookie!!  I figured its a good place to practice... back to the youtube....

This is a bunch or repair, as this was a garage workbench space before, if that helps?

• Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback.

More mockups, room looks a little tight.

IzofgsR.png

XBd4nkY.png

Not seeing room for a QT tank, maybe on the front wall?  It could be up in my office too.

No room for the big 425 gallon NSW container. but I can fit a 44 gallon brutes for fresh and salt.  It is allot nicer to mix up 200 gallons at a time though...  And nice insurance to have on hand...

I found out you can buy or make a removable cover for the sink that gives some counter space.  The sink itself is 48", so a 24" counter would leave 24" of sink for the typical usage.  

Well thanks for checking it out...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheClark said:

Thanks all for the feedback.

More mockups, room looks a little tight.

IzofgsR.png

XBd4nkY.png

Not seeing room for a QT tank, maybe on the front wall?  It could be up in my office too.

No room for the big 425 gallon NSW container. but I can fit a 44 gallon brutes for fresh and salt.  It is allot nicer to mix up 200 gallons at a time though...  And nice insurance to have on hand...

I found out you can buy or make a removable cover for the sink that gives some counter space.  The sink itself is 48", so a 24" counter would leave 24" of sink for the typical usage.  

Well thanks for checking it out...

Really liking this build, something like this room is the dream. 

What are you putting underneath the right frag tank? Depending on how tall your planning on having that tank, couldn't you put a QT tank underneath it. Perhaps putting it up against the end of the tank near the door and frame it in so you can look through a window in the stand. 

Or even better have it half recessed under the right frag tank and half sticking out. (Still having the cabinet framed in around everything). You could fit a 40G~ish 1.5' sticking out just below and 1.5' under the tank. Kind of a crazy idea, but if you could pull off the stacked tank look it could be pretty sweet. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Brian Tesch said:

Really liking this build, something like this room is the dream. 

What are you putting underneath the right frag tank? Depending on how tall your planning on having that tank, couldn't you put a QT tank underneath it. Perhaps putting it up against the end of the tank near the door and frame it in so you can look through a window in the stand. 

Or even better have it half recessed under the right frag tank and half sticking out. (Still having the cabinet framed in around everything). You could fit a 40G~ish 1.5' sticking out just below and 1.5' under the tank. Kind of a crazy idea, but if you could pull off the stacked tank look it could be pretty sweet. 

Thanks!  It probably looks cooler than it is in sketchup :)  This won't be any Reef2Reef 100,000 dollar build or anything, just a functional utility room hopefully with room to grow whatever coral strikes a chord...

That's a great idea for the QT!  I was planning on using the area under them for storage.  But I could easily get a mini fridge and a QT tank or two under there.  Thanks!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, albertareef said:

Someone just volunteered for my next drywall project 😎

Nope I am with Monkeyboy on this one.............I know a few people who do it for a living and can sheet it and mud it in really quickly........and look way better than I can do.

5 hours ago, Gil&Fin said:

Jeremy, is the sump just going to be open on the top?  Have you thought about putting a high table/workbench over it?  

By the way, are you wearing a hoodie in your mock-up???  

Thanks, good thought.

I am leaning towards open like Roy and JRs.  It is so nice to have the space to work not crawling around.  It's a good point though, more space!

I would like to have CR, Kalk Reactor etc right over the sump in a shelf/ tray with a leak detector.  That way if anything leaks I get notified, but also drains back into the sump instead of emptying the system.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spectra said:

Nope I am with Monkeyboy on this one.............I know a few people who do it for a living and can sheet it and mud it in really quickly........and look way better than I can do.

I can do all things through youtube! 

Hahaha...  Well, it is the ideal place to practice.  This is no Garage-ma-hal.  Just a garage with some tanks and sumps in it.  

The drywall was pretty dinged up from being a work area.   Just patching that up.  Its quick and easy.  If it looks like garbage the  pros can fix it quickly right?

Also, gotta say... the corners were taped poorly, got some work to do there.

Good news though... Definitely not worried if the texture doesn't cover my amateur mistakes.

My hope is the coral is decent enough no one will notice, right!!??

• Haha 2

I like the changes Jeremy. Might consider putting those cabinets on the wall to the right of the door over the narrow frag tank so you can get to them all without having to go down different aisles ( if that makes sense). If you are like me, you will always be moving things around or forgetting where they are. Of course, you could put them on the back wall as shown and just get some extra exercise 😁

now that I think about it... that may interfere with your lighting so never mind 🙁

2 hours ago, TheClark said:

Added table over sump for equipment, thanks @Gil&Fin

Added 2 40b QT tanks under sump on right, thanks @Brian Tesch

Added mini fridge.

Added some cabinets on back wall (salvaged from garage tear down)

Starting to think everything just might fit.

Latest dream below...

Kxz9X44.png

1yjJpon.png

Looking even better. My dad has a big work bench in the garage thats on a simple pully system so he can easily lift it up vertically towards the ceilng to park a car underneath. Would be cool if you did something simular to your work bench over the sump, so it could go stright up a few feet towards the cieling in a uniform fashion so you can access the sump without moving anything / the table.

Edited by Brian Tesch
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, TheClark said:

Added table over sump for equipment, thanks @Gil&Fin

Added 2 40b QT tanks under sump on right, thanks @Brian Tesch

Added mini fridge.

Added some cabinets on back wall (salvaged from garage tear down)

Starting to think everything just might fit.

Latest dream below...

Kxz9X44.png

1yjJpon.png

I love this but Jeremy, how did you do all this pretty work and leave your hood like that?  I mean, are you building a fish room or a wind tunnel? :joking::peace:

Seriously, loving it though.  New design looks much better.  How are you going to secure your water reservoir on the wall up there?  

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Progress!  Applied primer to about half the sheet rock with my daughter, shes a wonderful helper.

7BB4AF92-F8C9-4E3D-B040-D3B38CA27E06.jpeg

Most of my rookie patching actually primered up pretty nice.  The far wall has not been patched at all, and it shows.  Same with the corner tape...  Shouldn't take too long.

The plan is to finish that wall on the right, and transfer the existing RODI station and topoff to the finished right wall, freeing up space to tear into the left wall.  The left wall will have the electrical, plubming and hvac, so it is more than just a patch/primer/paint job.  

• 7 months later...