The Reef Room Has Started... sort of...

TheClark

280 gallons, right?  Wow...that's a monster.  I'm jelly!

Yes, you got it.

You have nothing to be jealous of but thanks for the props :D   :icon_bow:

My main goal is to have plenty of capacity to handle power outages / back siphon and have lots of room for tinkering.

Yes, you got it.

You have nothing to be jealous of but thanks for the props :D:icon_bow:

My main goal is to have plenty of capacity to handle power outages / back siphon and have lots of room for tinkering.

Here she is, the future new sump.

My son said 'that would make a nice display', sounds like someone wants an upgrade!

4g2zBQd.jpg

Since it will hardly ever have more than 18" of water or so, thinking of reducing the size of the middle brace.

My only fear would be thinking about what happens when the power goes out, the sump fills ups, and then it doesn't have the structural support it needs.

I don't think it would just fill up and snap though. It would (if it ever even would) likely need a longer term strain on the seams for it to ever give way.

Just something to think about though...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thinking about a layout like this:

Shq98AM.png

Left most rectangle -> Sump 280g

Middle rectangle -> Frag tank 8' x 3' x 1'

Right rectangle -> Frag tank 8' x 2' x 1'

Lower left -> Water station

Lower Middle -> Utility sink

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TheClark said:

Thinking about a layout like this:

Shq98AM.png

Left most rectangle -> Sump 280g

Middle rectangle -> Frag tank 8' x 3' x 1'

Right rectangle -> Frag tank 8' x 2' x 1'

Lower left -> Water station

Lower Middle -> Utility sink

Looks great!  So exciting.  I think it is a great idea to have the wider frag tank in the middle.  It will make it easier to access the corals as well as clean both the front and back.  With the narrower one near the wall, it will be much easier to reach.  If you can somehow fit a work table in there, that would be a great benefit--even a folding one.  Next to the sink would be ideal.  I'm assuming you are hanging lights from the ceiling?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

Looks great!  So exciting.  I think it is a great idea to have the wider frag tank in the middle.  It will make it easier to access the corals as well as clean both the front and back.  With the narrower one near the wall, it will be much easier to reach.  If you can somehow fit a work table in there, that would be a great benefit--even a folding one.  Next to the sink would be ideal.  I'm assuming you are hanging lights from the ceiling?

Yes, you caught those fine details.  I have like 8 versions of the layout and settled on this one for many reasons including those.  THANKS! for the feedback and really checking this out.  Makes me feel like this is a good path.  Especially coming from someone with an epic reef room.

Work table is a must, but it is gonna be tight!  Folding might be the answer, good idea!  Lights from ceiling, and storage from ceiling as well, probably 3' deep cabinets for all that reef junk that a person collects :)

Goal is all my reef junk is contained to this one room....

• Like 2

BTW - are you thinking of using that rubber restaurant style matting on the floor?  The rendering kind of looks like that and it would be a nice way to keep your feet out of the spills.  You could just roll them up and take them outside to rinse off every once in a while.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, albertareef said:

BTW - are you thinking of using that rubber restaurant style matting on the floor?  The rendering kind of looks like that and it would be a nice way to keep your feet out of the spills.  You could just roll them up and take them outside to rinse off every once in a while.

Well, I am using a free rendering bit of software, so that is not totally representative.

Was actually thinking of using a huge sheet of vinyl flooring.  That or epoxy.  Both are waterproof, but vinyl would be fast and easy, so kinda leaning that way.

40 sf of frag space, sounds pretty awesome! Yea a work bench would be ideal. Have to have a place to set the bandsaw and park your beer when fragging away in the evenings. Is the sump in the layout for the frag tanks or your main display? Are all the frag tanks plumbed together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Willapa said:

40 sf of frag space, sounds pretty awesome! Yea a work bench would be ideal. Have to have a place to set the bandsaw and park your beer when fragging away in the evenings. Is the sump in the layout for the frag tanks or your main display? Are all the frag tanks plumbed together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, right!  I am pretty excited.  Bandsaw room is a good idea, I was thinking about a rolling stand so I can move it around / keep it outta the way.  Or heck, maybe right on top of the beverage fridge :)

The sump is for the tanks in the office upstairs and for the frag tanks.  One big old system.  One set of water to test and maintain.  I also have to squeeze in some QT space though...  It's gonna be a tight fit.

• Like 1