The Reef Room Has Started... sort of...

TheClark

The goal was to make room, clean out the area, build out the reef room (Thanks Gil&Fin for the proper name).  

Fell short on goal 1, make room.  

I was too impatient to sell the boat off first.  The first step in making room.

It's a nice but older 18' sled with Yamaha 115 4 stroke jet, ~100 hours.  Just had all the maintenance done, runs like a dream, kind of sad to sell.  Needs to be painted though, it has seen allot of years.

Paint?  Ah... that can wait, lets move some reef stuff into the garage!

Result?  RODI, Kalk and TopOff are all setup in a small uncluttered corner.  

All controlled by an APEX EB8 with 150' cord (need to write this up, very easy to do).

Topoff runs with a big peristaltic pump (30 bucks or so...) up to the second floor office.  

Same with Kalk feed, although kalk reactor is also in the garage.  

Amazing the sheer volume of stuff just for ATO/Kalk/RODI.  Tubing and wires galore.  Need to get the label maker out.  Once I finalize the pipes and wiring, will take pics.

Sometimes I wonder how all that stuff fit under the sump!!??  

Who else has a reef room separate from their tank?  Let's see em please!

• Like 8

SO when you say Reef Room do you mean equipment only? Or just lots of Reef?

SAM_1338%202_zpszqdjdgz3.jpg

Here is were I go to hang out sometimes.

I will post a couple pics before people post up their setups. I have seen some others separate Reef rooms and many will make my little closet look like piddle. Sometimes that deters me from posting them up but it really is always going to be a work in progress when you are die hard like I am, I need to accept that.

SAM_1342%202_zps5fa7g9yy.jpg

Most likely going to plumb in my larger tank I have inside and run the larger equipment in here...Or underneath anyways.

Where is your progress Clark?

• Like 5

I will post a couple pics before people post up their setups. I have seen some others separate Reef rooms and many will make my little closet look like piddle. Sometimes that deters me from posting them up but it really is always going to be a work in progress when you are die hard like I am, I need to accept that.

Most likely going to plumb in my larger tank I have inside and run the larger equipment in here...Or underneath anyways.

Awesome!!

Great idea to put those posters up, no place better.

Thank you for sharing.  I will share my setup soon here, more cleanup to do!  Today hopefully...  So far it is just a cleared out piece of the garage, work in progress though :)

• Like 1

I thought I was crazy for pursuing a 1000 gallon FOWLR... But that reef tank looks insane. You could probably gaze at it for hours and still continue to discover life you missed when looking the first time...
  • Like 1

That sounds awesome Jermey!  Heck i wish i had room to store your boat for ya.  I have done one boat paint job before..... was a lot of work, but man it was fun and it turned out friggin awesome (cause i was just the extra set of hands).....  

love the 'artwork' Bert!!  Great idea.

Bret and I have been collecting parts for our build out for the last year almost.  it certainly can get overwhelming when you think about all the stuff you have to do at once!

Looking forward to seeing updates!

• Like 2

Here is the messy temp setup

For those interested a couple of cool things

1. 150' apex cable extension

2. Triple tds meter (in, rodi, di)

3. Peristaltic ato and Kalk pump to get to second floor

4. Dual rodi membrane halves waste and increases production

5. Solenoid apex controlled for rodi

Thanks for looking :)

8eac6203ecf2b26b39ffe2a88b5e3d1b.jpg

34b58e2737291e2655c643a2589b5308.jpg

• Like 4

organizing wires and plumbing is one of the biggest challenges in my opinion.  looks like you are doing a good job.  here is the room behind my tank...this is from when i first setup the tank in late 2008.  it's a laundry/mechanical room so it's not a dedicated reef room.  i'll have to get a current picture so you can see the difference between now and then.  

http://3215579449_bb17f61d34_b.jpgDSC00053 by kilmca, on Flickr

• Like 6

organizing wires and plumbing is one of the biggest challenges in my opinion.  looks like you are doing a good job.  here is the room behind my tank...this is from when i first setup the tank in late 2008.  it's a laundry/mechanical room so it's not a dedicated reef room.  i'll have to get a current picture so you can see the difference between now and then.  

Wiring looks good, but I can't stop looking at your skimmer. . . That must be rated "The Ocean"!!! That thing is HUGE!!!! :ohmy:

organizing wires and plumbing is one of the biggest challenges in my opinion. looks like you are doing a good job. here is the room behind my tank...this is from when i first setup the tank in late 2008. it's a laundry/mechanical room so it's not a dedicated reef room. i'll have to get a current picture so you can see the difference between now and then.

Very nice!! My dream some day...

Wiring looks good, but I can't stop looking at your skimmer. . . That must be rated "The Ocean"!!! That thing is HUGE!!!! :ohmy:

wiring is more organized now.  yeah, if you know anyone looking for a great external skimmer i'm looking to selling that one.  i went to an internal skimmer to save some floor space and make it easier to access the back of the tank.  

Very nice!! My dream some day...

thanks...was going to get an updated pic this weekend but with all the remodeling we are doing this room is kind of a mess.  

thanks...was going to get an updated pic this weekend but with all the remodeling we are doing this room is kind of a mess.  

wiring is more organized now.  yeah, if you know anyone looking for a great external skimmer i'm looking to selling that one.  i went to an internal skimmer to save some floor space and make it easier to access the back of the tank.  

I remember seeing that room when it was fairly new. I bet it's even nicer now.m

I'm looking for a skimmer, but I think that one might suck up my whole tank and sump in one gulp!! LoL, my set up is only around 160. . .

I'm looking for a skimmer, but I think that one might suck up my whole tank and sump in one gulp!! LoL, my set up is only around 160. . .

I had a old cheapy PM (precision marine) out back but i don't think it would do 160 if heavy loaded

Edit:

Was trying to find a pic of it online but cant remember the maker and model #

It would need a pump anyway

Edited by ChrisQ

Picked up Jorge's old 280 gallon from ReefnJunkie, going to convert it into a sump.  

Originally the plan was to use a series stock tanks, but this was simply too good of a deal for a 3/4" 280 gallon tank.

Might still use the stock tanks for chaeto or extra LR, not sure...

Man how nice would it be to have a reef room! That 280 is going to make one killer sump!

Thanks Jorge!  I have been plagued with too small sumps for years, the thought of having one that easily survives the power outage test is a great feeling.  

It's tight on my current setup and some of the higher bulkheads that are normally never submersed leak (emergency bulkheads connecting the two sumps).

This sets off the apex alarms, and can cause some leakage to the garage below if I leave it for hours, it's a pain for sure.

This big old sump will feed at least three tanks 100-375 gallons so it needs to have some major capacity.

Heck at least if it leaks in the garage it will be onto a concrete floor.

Really appreciate you letting it go so reasonable.

Thanks Jorge!  I have been plagued with too small sumps for years, the thought of having one that easily survives the power outage test is a great feeling.  

It's tight on my current setup and some of the higher bulkheads that are normally never submersed leak (emergency bulkheads connecting the two sumps).

This sets off the apex alarms, and can cause some leakage to the garage below if I leave it for hours, it's a pain for sure.

This big old sump will feed at least three tanks 100-375 gallons so it needs to have some major capacity.

Heck at least if it leaks in the garage it will be onto a concrete floor.

Really appreciate you letting it go so reasonable.

Just glad to see it being put to good use. It's structurally sound and should serve you well. Im gonna have to snag a frag or two in the future from ya. I'd like to see the reef room :)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here she is, the future new sump.

My son said 'that would make a nice display', sounds like someone wants an upgrade!

4g2zBQd.jpg

Since it will hardly ever have more than 18" of water or so, thinking of reducing the size of the middle brace.