Aquarium classes

joshuapd

I'm a newbie saltwater aquarium person. I'm finding the learning curve to be kind of steep. Has anyone thought of having educational classes/lectures on the fundamentals of aquarium chemistry, testing, physics, etc ? I would totally love some guidance and education. Anyone???

Most certainly, we try to make several of our meeting somewhat informative, just come to a meeting and we will take you to school for sure.

There are some very friendly and smart people on this forum that can teach some tricks of the trade and first hand equipment experience and reviews...Take advantage of it.

• Like 1

I'm a newbie saltwater aquarium person. I'm finding the learning curve to be kind of steep. Has anyone thought of having educational classes/lectures on the fundamentals of aquarium chemistry, testing, physics, etc ? I would totally love some guidance and education. Anyone???

I have definitely thought of taking marine microbiology classes, but it is expensive. I think one of the best ways to become informed is by listening to people with experience, and take everything they say with a grain of salt. Since every tank is different, not any single thing is always a solution. Commonly, many things play a factor.

If you still have a drive to learn, Kahn Academy is one of the few places that offer lessons for free. Not only is it free, but what they say is correct and fact checked. There is a lot of ill information out there that I think you shouldn't be spending your time on. I guess it is the internet. Hehe. I advise this to a lot of my tutees.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

If you are into traditional lectures, homework, reading material, tests and projects, then MIT Open Courseware is the place for you. Plus, I think they even mail you a legitimate certificate if you complete the course series. Their lecturers are some of the best in the nation and they are online for anyone with a computer.

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Although I will say it again, experience in this hobby is invaluable. I hope you can make the time to come to a meeting. I am sure we will be happy to answer any question you have (unless we don't know). :P

• Like 4

You might want to look into the Aquarium Science Program http://oregoncoastcc.org/aquarium-science   at Oregon Community College in Newport, Oregon. We have had behind-the-scenes tours there, along with tours of the Hatfield Marine Science Center, and The Oregon Coast Aquarium. Hopefully, this will continue as an annual PNWMAS event.

• Like 2

listening to people with experience, and take everything they say with a grain of salt. Since every tank is different, not any single thing is always a solution.

This goes for forums as well!! :biggrin2:

No, but seriously miles makes a very good point. So many people doing so many different things, just absorb it, think about it and find a happy medium as a point to start and adjust t what works for you. If you have nobody to talk to Google every question you might have and read over the conversations that have already been had.

• Like 2

If you have nobody to talk to Google every question you might have and read over the conversations that have already been had.

This is a very good resource.  Along with every other suggestion listed....  I had limited exposure to salt water tanks prior to making it a part of my daily life.  I read... and read... and read some more.  Most of it was published articles, books and magazines from large 'trusted' publishers.  But I also found that reading through forums and getting all the different diverse methods was extremely helpful.  Using a combination of facts and other peoples trial and error... i was able to feel comfortable with caring for a tank and it's inhabitants.  

Now... more than anything i am enjoying building our new system( a lot of flippin work!!!) and seeing the changes in the corals since they have been in my system.  There are SOOOOOO many variables that impact your corals and livestock...  it's really a constant learning experience. 

and honestly i feel like reef keeping is much like the IT business.....   always changing.... constant innovations.....  nobody knows everything (although some think they do!!)....  

The most important thing... to me....   enjoy it!  and don't be discouraged by failure!  Those are just learning experiences!!

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...