Question for SPS keepers (identify problem)

The ReefBox

This goes out to any and all SPS keepers/growers. I am thinking outside the box here and soliciting responses as to what people think is contributing to my issue. I am not new to reefing nor to keeping SPS, but am stumped and need someone else view.

THE PROBLEM: after a recent battle of stripping nutrients way to fast and all my SPS fading out, I corrected the problem and they came back roaring with color, vibrant and rich colors. Now as of recent I have noticed faded (dull) colors on many but not all SPS. I have not been running any GFO or using any other means of nutrient export other than a skimming and one water change.

System is 225 total gallons

Parameters are as follows:

ALK 8.5

Mag 1440

Ca  440

NO3 5

PO4 0

Salinity 1.025

Temp 28.5

Fish

Yellow tang (medium)

Dejardini Sailfin tang (medium)

Two bar rabbit fish (medium)

Dusky Wrasse (L)

Banana Wrasse (S)

Yellow Coris Wrasse (S)

Mystery Wrasse (S)

Melanarus Wrasse (S)

Sixline Wrasse (S)

I feed atleast once a day but usually twice,  I rotate between spiruline brine, LRS reef frenzy, pellets, Nori

I dose MeCorals Aminos every other day (10 ml)

Oyster feast when I remember

My thoughts are lack of nutrients, but could be high phosphates and test kit sucks but I have no algae other than a light dusting every two-three days. So what gives here?

While I don't have any first hand experience with the ME amino's 10ml every other day seems like A LOT, there's a good possibility you're overdosing? One big problem is you really have no idea how much and exactly what elements you're adding to your tank.

You could also have a phosphate issue...

I honestly only trust two tests for p04, one is the Hach PO-19 that Randy Holmes Farley uses and the full size lab grade Hanna unit Travis keeps at the shop. The checkers are worthless as fas as I'm concerned since their readings have always proven to be all over the place and totally inaccurate in my experience. 

I've found the red sea kits to be inaccurate but they are however very consistent, so if you're able to get a correct reading from a Hanna then you can then make the corrections using something like the Red Sea kit.

If by faded colors you meant pastel colors (the ones you would see on zeotanks) then maybe there isn't enough nutritents. Some corals, once bleached, never get their original colors back or take a long time and take on very different colors. If you have too much phosphate they should be brown.

One trick I learned was to measure my nutrient level by checking cheato's growth. For my tank whenever cheato stops growing and fade/die my corals bleach & when cheato grows well my corals do well. Since zoothanthelae & cheto are both algae, it helps me a lot and I havent checked PO4 or used activated carbon for a long time now. Whenever I use activated carbon the cheato would start to die and then corals bleach. But because I used to bleach many corals by depleting the nutrients, at least 50% of the bleached acros came back with different colors or stayed faded.

Edited by Peng
  • Like 1

Reproducible...yes.  

Accurate...who knows.  I have never tested against a known.

The box of reagent I am using know seems to be testing slightly lower than the previous box, but that mayjust be the tank restart.

I never saw tests below .03 before, and now I do.  

IMO/E PO4 needs to be present, ME Corals is 5mls per 50 gallons every other day as needed (watch for elevated NO3) -that's for Arson since he's not familiar with the dosage, and not that he asked either LOL

I dose ME 30 mls every 2-3 days. If you don't have pest I'd say wait it out-acros do weird things out of nowhere-you know like RTN after you've had the piece for 2 years (just happened in one frag tank)

As long as you are seeing polyps and no signs of RTN/STN keep things stable as it seems you are don't move from spot to spot, maybe dose some phyto to raise the PO4.

When you texted me you said PO4 was .10 other wise I would have said the above

Agree with Miles as well-if that's the temp and I'm an acro I'm pissed LOL

Also depending on how new the lighting is and photoperiod can play a factor but I'm assuming you thought that out. Depending on how high that ATI can play a factor.

I've got 2 6 bulb units about 20" above the frag tanks and par is 350 in 9" deep water-nor sure how high you got your fixture, and it's new right, you used to run LED???