So frustrated!!! I have had a couple clam deaths recently, and as many of you clam owners know, after having one for a number of years you have a sort of sentimental attachment to them and I just Love clams in general. I checked parameters, for polyclad flat worms, and for irritating crabs or other inverts and found none. When my crocea died and the only clam left was my Squamosa clam I was Pssd. I started looking at the big picture and thought maybe, just maybe, a fish was doing this.

Odd thing is the only fish in the tank are 1 percula clown, 1 yellow coris wrasse, 1 blue hipo tang, 1 blue mandarin dragonette, a bastardy pair of yellow clown gobies, and 1 yellow tang.All these fish have been model citizens and had been in the system for over a year and a half, and i had had them for anywhere from an additional half year to 4 years before that with no pre convictions of Tridacnid assault.

Over the last few days I have noticed my large Squamosa retracting its mantle very frequently and my Yellow Tang just sticking around that particular area but I never saw anything bad happen. I decided to setup a visual block with one of my chairs and layed in wait to see if anything would happen differently in the tank had I not been in the room. Sure enough my dirty yellow tang starts first towards my platygyra and then right at the clam mantle, Chomp Munch!... ARGHH!!!

I have tried catching him via net, luring him via line, and corralling him to one corner but in this tank with all this rock and coral it is almost futile and I am no stranger to catching fish. I was at it for quite some time yesterday and all that happened is the tang is even more wise to me and my methods. I need a fish trap and bad. I am a big DIY Guy so I grabbed the dremel and some zip ties and found the nearest plastic container I could use for the project. BRS Soda Ash, and went to work. Gotta figure a mount system and get it in the tank to acclimate him to it but I am optimistic this time around. I will see about getting some pictures later on, right now I am kinda frustrated still. Losing an older clam is never easy.

There for a second I thought you were trying to tell us the clam ate the yellow tang! That got my attention.... Sorry to hear that man Clams don't revoer very easily you might want to try increasing the feeding to possibly prevent them from grazing too much or maybe some nori on the glass in a clip

Edited by Exodus
  • Like 2

So frustrated!!! I have had a couple clam deaths recently, and as many of you clam owners know, after having one for a number of years you have a sort of sentimental attachment to them and I just Love clams in general. I checked parameters, for polyclad flat worms, and for irritating crabs or other inverts and found none. When my crocea died and the only clam left was my Squamosa clam I was Pssd. I started looking at the big picture and thought maybe, just maybe, a fish was doing this.

Odd thing is the only fish in the tank are 1 percula clown, 1 yellow coris wrasse, 1 blue hipo tang, 1 blue mandarin dragonette, a bastardy pair of yellow clown gobies, and 1 yellow tang.All these fish have been model citizens and had been in the system for over a year and a half, and i had had them for anywhere from an additional half year to 4 years before that with no pre convictions of Tridacnid assault.

Over the last few days I have noticed my large Squamosa retracting its mantle very frequently and my Yellow Tang just sticking around that particular area but I never saw anything bad happen. I decided to setup a visual block with one of my chairs and layed in wait to see if anything would happen differently in the tank had I not been in the room. Sure enough my dirty yellow tang starts first towards my platygyra and then right at the clam mantle, Chomp Munch!... ARGHH!!!

I have tried catching him via net, luring him via line, and corralling him to one corner but in this tank with all this rock and coral it is almost futile and I am no stranger to catching fish. I was at it for quite some time yesterday and all that happened is the tang is even more wise to me and my methods. I need a fish trap and bad. I am a big DIY Guy so I grabbed the dremel and some zip ties and found the nearest plastic container I could use for the project. BRS Soda Ash, and went to work. Gotta figure a mount system and get it in the tank to acclimate him to it but I am optimistic this time around. I will see about getting some pictures later on, right now I am kinda frustrated still. Losing an older clam is never easy.

I've got a fish trap for you Robert! I can drop it off today.

• Like 1

There for a second I thought you were trying to tell us the clam ate the yellow tang! That got my attention.... Sorry to hear that man Clams don't revoer very easily you might want to try increasing the feeding to possibly prevent them from grazing too much or maybe some nori on the glass in a clip

Now that would be something, a clam eating a tang..Or a tang eating clam HAH. I have tried feeding him tremendous amounts to curb his hunger but t is too tempting for him. I fed him 5 times yesterday including spiralina brine shrimp, mysis, bubble macro, and a nori sheet on the magnet. I contemplated getting an automatic feeder for him but then thought about how much more the clam meant to me over the tang and decided to get him out.

I've got a fish trap for you Robert! I can drop it off today.

OH Man, I made a fish trap late last night but a working on a fastening device for the tank. If I have more troubles I will contact you for sure. Thank You for the quick response, very cool.

Dang!  That is a bummer, hope you catch the SOB ;)

Try putting the clam in the trap to bait him?   :fingerscrossed:  :nutty:

The clam is over a decade old and about a foot in size, it won't fit...Although I bet some clam from the store would work like a charm for bait.

Sorry to hear that Robert but your experience shows I have heard so many times I didn't see the fish do that to the coral but who watches their tank 24 hours 7 days a week?

That has to hurt having something for that long. Clams are pretty tasty though but I agree the yellow tang has to go.

What is also bothersome is that this can happen with other fish too, one day that dwarf angel that was a model citizen gets a taste for high end zoas and its not fun and games any more. This guy has been with clams and coral for years and only the last week or two has he found these lifeforms so delectable. This hobby sometimes.

Lexinverts dropped off a trap so I will get things started tonight when I have some time to get into the tank more, right now I have the clam covered with a couple large 8 inch decoy nets.

• Like 2

Oh absolutely it can happen with other fish. That's why I try to avoid fish like angels even the suppossed reef safe angels because it can only be a matter of time. Well at least you found the clam eater.

I also thought a clam was eating your tang when I first read this and couldn't wait to see a picture!????

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh absolutely it can happen with other fish. That's why I try to avoid fish like angels even the suppossed reef safe angels because it can only be a matter of time. Well at least you found the clam eater.

I also thought a clam was eating your tang when I first read this and couldn't wait to see a picture!????

I'm going to be getting a shark tank and well

Let's just say the "reef friendly" butterflyfish, angelfish, and tangs are known to injure sharks and even potentially kill them (of course sharks like coral catshark, bamboo shark, etc.).

I'm going to be getting a shark tank and well

Let's just say the "reef friendly" butterflyfish, angelfish, and tangs are known to injure sharks and even potentially kill them (of course sharks like coral catshark, bamboo shark, etc.).

Maybe we can threaten the bad clam and coral eating fish with a dip in your shark tank. If the threat doesn't work we can just throw them in anyways.

NO! There are no Sharks involved in any way here. Simply a fish that had developed a taste for savory clam mantle, and he has been dealt with. Lexinverts came by my house ASAP with a fish trap, Thanks Again Lex!

But as soon as I was off from typing this message on the board here I was already in the DIY design and develop stage of my very own trap. I got some pics I just have to track them down and upload them to good old Photobucket.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While unseen behind the lazy-boy chair I was able to confirm a couple things about the tang.

SAM_0149_zpskkgy3jcd.jpg

Like a intelligent and opportunistic predator the tang lies in wait for the unsuspecting victim, anticipating the every move of not just the corals in the tank but also the aquariums overseer. Insert Jaws theme music for Tang now.

SAM_0148_zpsof60amza.jpg

Once he was sure there was no humans around especially yours truly, he came out for a look then...

SAM_0147_zpsofbiicgs.jpg

Chomp, chomp! I would have gotten some better pictures but this was about the moment when I was going to leap over the chair and some how scold him through the tank.

So it seems this fish definitely eats clam mantle and he even enjoys some LPS from time to time.

catching%20tang%20210_zpsvu5acfyv.jpg

not sure if anyone has tried to catch tangs out of a large tank like a 210 on a ladder especially one with an excess of live rock in it...It is not easy, and I have caught my fair share of fishes.

WP_20160525_005_zpskiilqr5z.jpg

These are 8 inch nets for reference of size, the tang is about 5 inches. I basically was in the tank getting frustrated while the tang learned all my patterns and inabilities to get to certain spots of the tank. After trying all that was feasible I put the nets next to the clam as a tang deterrent while I came up with something else.

SAM_0812%202_zps19ufdotv.jpg

Like making my own fish trap! I am a big DIY guy so I have a good idea of things I need to replicate a function of another object.

SAM_0848%202_zpsodjtzhsg.jpg

The BRS container, zippties, fishing line, magfloat,30 minutes, and a dremel were all I needed to get a functional trap made.

WP_20160525_015_zpsiir5ubeo.jpg

Some mysis shrimps poured in through a rigid line I put in towards the top of the trap and 5 minutes later he was already eating inside.

SAM_0859_zpsva4r3rqe.jpg

Maybe 20-30 minutes after that I caught his sorry fins out of there!

Now the poor guy is in a 55 sump until I can figure out a fish only tank were a tang will fit in.

Thought I would give an update that the corals and clam are now doing fine without the tang in the tank, good thing too as the brain is my pride and is over 11-12 years old and the clam is about 15 now.

I also have to give a big shout out to Lexinverts for coming through with a fish trap for me so speedily. He has always been a real stand up guy willing to give a hand when he can, he also has some mighty fine corals in his killer Red Seas. 

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

SAM_0815%202_zps36qvhfbd.jpg

Cut the bottom off with the dremel, I imagine you might be able to use a hacksaw.

SAM_0819%202_zpsvxkobbcy.jpg

Drilled some flow holes through it, not sure if these were mandatory but I wanted the unit to "breath" some.

SAM_0820%202_zpsyhs7uimv.jpg

SAM_0827%202_zpsolce5wwo.jpg

I used zip ties to connect the "door" and made sure to have the ends on the outside of the trap so it would close smooth.

SAM_0830%202_zpsb335iugu.jpg

SAM_0824_zpsvdhestai.jpg

I cut a larger hole for a piece of rigid line to go in the top so I could drop food into the trap without actually getting into the tank. I made it extra long here because this one was going into a 220 gallon tank so there was some depth.

SAM_0839%202_zpsxa4oeamn.jpg

Here is the finished product. I tied a piece of fishing line to the middle end of the door that then ran through a hole in the top of the trap, then I attached a lead weight to the end of the line outside of the tank for easy access of the closing mechanism.

SAM_3801_zpsfos1ycgp.jpg

Here is a bad attitude Clakii clown I had to capture with this, done and done. I have also caught damsels with this and am in the process of catching another tang out of my tank. Shouldn't be too long now.

• Like 2

This is the best designed DIY fish trap that I've seen yet. The feeding tube is an inspired feature to add stability to the system and entice the quarry. I'll be making one of these in the near future. Looks like you cleaned up all the plastic burrs on the inside as well. Nice touch and great post!

• 1 month later...

I just found this old thread and yes may clam was eating my Tang. I just got my 1st clam the other day and the wife yelled at me "the clam has the Tang". Sure enough the clam had clamped down on the nose of the Tang and it was laying flat on the sand bed. I wasn't sure what to do so I just grab the clam and slightly open the shell. The Tang and clam are doing good and the Tang how stays way. It was an interesting ordeal.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On May 25, 2016 at 4:08 PM, badxgillen said:

What is also bothersome is that this can happen with other fish too, one day that dwarf angel that was a model citizen gets a taste for high end zoas and its not fun and games any more. This guy has been with clams and coral for years and only the last week or two has he found these lifeforms so delectable. This hobby sometimes.

Lexinverts dropped off a trap so I will get things started tonight when I have some time to get into the tank more, right now I have the clam covered with a couple large 8 inch decoy nets.

Angels are well known to be model citizens before suddenly getting a taste for lps/zoas/gorgonians. Other corals should be fine, I hear.