Save Your Tank - Get Notified On Power Outages

TheClark

There are several ways, here are a few of the options.  

They all have their pros and cons.  

I personally use ReefTronics and the UPS option.

ReefTronics

This free service connects to your apex and does many things including gathering statistical data that has a much longer time period than the built in apex graphs.  In addition, it will text you when it cannot reach your apex due to power or network failures.  This one notified me several times over the years and is quite reliable and free.  It does not rely on UPS or cellular networks.

http://www.reeftronics.net/

APEX and Router on UPS

APEX has built in power monitoring.  The problem is, the APEX needs power, and so does your network when the power goes out.  That's where the UPS comes into play.

If you connect both your apex, and your router and cable modem to a UPS, and configure it properly, it will text you when the power goes out.  See notes at the bottom of this post about details on how to do the programming.  A UPS can be picked up for a computer on amazon.

This one really requires flipping the breaker to test.  It is too easy to accidentally forget to power a network switch or something else that needs power.

Android and Sim Card with Outtage Alarm App

This is a great idea, simple and in theory pretty reliable.  In essence, it works by detecting when your low cost android device loses power.  It then sends texts via the cell network, which usually does not lose power when the house does.  The challenge would be finding a low cost sim card.

Read more here:
http://thereefuge.com/threads/35-or-less-power-outage-notifier.8833/

iSocket 3g

Featured on reefbuilders this morning, similar to the android approach above.  Basically it is an outlet with a sim card, or a phone with an outlet depending on your perspective.

Requires a sim card like the android approach above.  

It inspired me to write this post as there are many IMO better options:

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/05/16/isocket-3g/

Details on APEX setup from the manual

Page 141 from the apex manual here:

http://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/Comprehensive_Reference_Manual.pdf

Pasted for a quick overview

How do I setup my Apex to notify me of a power failure? The Apex base unit and the EB8 module can each detect power interruptions and you can test for this in your email alarm outlet program. The key to being successful here is to keep power to the base unit and your network equipment long enough to send the email. The base unit accepts power from two sources - the EB8 via the USB looking AquaBus connection or via a DC adapter (Neptune P/N PS12, 500ma output, 12v, 2.1mm tip, center electrode positive). To insure you keep power long enough, get a small UPS. It only needs to be big enough to power the base unit, your router and modem and your PC (assuming you don't use a laptop). A UPS in the 300 - 500Va capacity should be more than enough. In the configuration → outlet setup page, the following statements for the emailAlm (email) or the SndAlm (audible) outlets should do the trick (example assumes you have a single EB8, number 3): Set OFF If Power EB8_3 Off 001 Then ON  this detects if the EB8 loses power If Power Apex Off 001 Then ON  this detects if the base unit loses power You might wonder, if the base unit is on a UPS, how would the "If Power Apex" statement ever be true. Normally it wouldn't, the UPS will prevent that unless of course its battery fails. But anytime you reboot the base unit, it is momentarily without power and will recognize that as a power failure, triggering the alarm condition. If your base unit reboots on you during the middle of the day, you’ll know about it. Of course, the EB8 gets its power from the wall and would note any normal power interruption. If you wanted to limit these emails to only if the power has been out for a couple of minutes, you can use the new Defer command.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

UPS to the rescue. I have 2 running my tank alone, plus another 2 running internet, wireless, Xbox, and TV. Then one more for computer.

Any guesses what I do for I living

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That's great!

The APEX power monitoring requires a UPS, so that your cable modem, router, and apex have power to send the email out.  Mine are all on UPS for that reason.

Test, test, test right?  Flip the whole house breaker when no one is home and make sure you get that text....

• Like 1